New Asst Coach

Ibruce

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the video where Goodwin talked about his top 7 he said Mizzou has a great coaching staff, coach Anderson, coach Tate.  And that him and coach Tate have a great relationship and he is like a father figure to him.  I was thinking that's the only reason Mizzou made top 7.  

I don't know if Tate has landed a recruit but didn't he just start there in summer of 2015?  Not a lot of time and not like he had a solid head coach or solid situation to convince those top Eagle players. 

Found this from Sam Snelling:

http://www.rockmnation.com/2016/7/21/12232370/missouri-basketball-recruiting-rockmnation-mailbag 

ass via email: From what I can gather, Tate was brought on to bring in a recruiting bump in St. Louis. Sneed. Cook. Tilmon. Tatum.... We missed on all of those guys. How close were we to landing any of those guys. And has Tate been able to help with eastern Missouri recruiting (or recruiting in general)despite not landing any of those guys?

Corey Tate was brought in for a variety of reasons, but the main selling point on his candidacy was the fact that he was a St. Louis native, a Missouri alum, and well connected with the power brokers of St. Louis hoops... the St. Louis Eagles.

Part of the problem with that selling point is that while Tate has good relationships with the people that run the Eagles, the Eagles brass has long held a position of hands off when it came to steering players one way or the other in recruiting. On top of that I’ve been told the 2016 group of Eagles weren’t close with Tate at all.

So the connection to guys like Tatum, Cook and Snead was minimal at best. Tilmon has long been an Illinois lean as well. So how close was Missouri to landing those guys? Based upon my info? Not close. At all.

Tate has helped improve relationships in St. Louis and eastern Missouri, and the best case so far is how well they’re doing with Torrence Watson and Fred Thatch. Whether or not it pays off remains to be seen but I think it’s safe to say that Tate’s impression on the coaching staff to date has left a lot to be desired.

Just now, Bills_06 said:

In the video where Goodwin talked about his top 7 he said Mizzou has a great coaching staff, coach Anderson, coach Tate.  And that him and coach Tate have a great relationship and he is like a father figure to him.  I was thinking that's the only reason Mizzou made top 7.  

I don't know if Tate has landed a recruit but didn't he just start there in summer of 2015?  Not a lot of time and not like he had a solid head coach or solid situation to convince those top Eagle players. 

Also, Tate was the only reason Mizzou was a finalist for Tilmon.  Mizzou is a hard place to recruit to right now..

I can't blame Tate for jumping off the SPUMAC Titanic. I actually thought something like this would have been possible with Jamal Walker, but this is probably better with Tate's strong local AAU ties.

I really like the recruiting set up: Tate (local), Bailey (Chicago & East), Macon (East coast), Ford (seems to have Florida/La./Southern connections)

We haven't even played a game yet, but Ford is doing a lot of things that at least make sense on paper, from loading up on transfers to how he is putting the staff together.

40 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I am not trying to be a negative nancy but is anyone else concerned that all of our assistants seem to be recruiters first rather than have one Xs and Os guy?

1 minute ago, Billboy1 said:

I agree with Sign Guy somebody on staff needs to be a good game coach.

Right now they need players.  Get the players and then worry about adding an x&o guy in a couple of years.  If these guys land the players we hope for, someone will move up the ladder and open up a spot for that guy.

I do find it kind of odd reading Snelling's piece above and through Gabe's timeline a lot of talk about who did he land from StL.  He's only been there 1 year.  A lot of the 2016 kids had been recruited for years before and built relationships with head coaches, not just assistants.  Cook would be the only one I thought may go to Mizzou that I can think of.  Of the 2017 kids, why would any of them go there?  Mizzou is a mess right now.  AD left to go to school with huge scandal, Interim AD just left, no president, no chancellor, and a basketball coach on the hot seat after couple of awful years with a NCAA investigation still going on I believe.  

We'll see how he does here but I do think that may help with Goodwin.

It takes time to forge strong recruiting relationships within an area- gain the trust of local coaches, AAU programs, and stay in the minds of young players. The bonus for us here is that Tate has been doing exactly that with exactly the people and programs we need in our corner, just on someone else's watch. This could be a fast-forward on that process for us. I love the hire.

By the way, he and Anderson clearly didn't see eye to eye if he's leaving his alma mater for SLU. If Anderson thought he wasn't hacking it, that shows how desperate his situation is. It takes time to steer kids your way, especially with all the problems in the school and athletic department. But he may have just wanted out for more stability and a good opportunity in a lower pressure environment.

Here's the Tigerboard thread. Some tidbits:

-Some don't think it's much of a loss, given how few STL kids he steered to Mizzou.

-Some say that SLU offered a better deal. I'm not sure if that's the case, but certainly in terms of length of job security, SLU is more attractive with a first-year coach. He could've been let go with a whole staff in less than a year had he stayed.

-He apparently worked with their bigs in practice.

-Tigerboard is really ugly and hard to read.

25 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Right now they need players.  Get the players and then worry about adding an x&o guy in a couple of years.  If these guys land the players we hope for, someone will move up the ladder and open up a spot for that guy.

I would disagree with this on the game coaching but even more importantly there is more than recruiting and game coaching.  You need "player development" coaching skills.  I am sure everyone of the coaches including Ford can do some of this but I am at least a little worried.

It is interesting that Tifft is considered a recruiting first type of coach as well.

47 minutes ago, ACE said:

I really like the recruiting set up: Tate (local), Bailey (Chicago & East), Macon (East coast), Ford (seems to have Florida/La./Southern connections)

Ford can recruit Washington as well:

I have no idea if Tate is a a good or a bad hire but for years people have been complaining that none of the SLU coaches have hired a local guy with ties to all the local players/coaches.  Now Ford hires one and people are saying that maybe it is not a good thing.  This board is amazing sometimes.  At this point, Ford has shown he knows how to play the game and that is something we have not had in recent memory.  Tate has to help locally- can't hurt - but who will be the game AC - lets just wait and see just how bad or good the other AC are before we start saying the sky is falling.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article92596547.html

According to this, we gave Tate a 2 year deal, which I think might be rare for us to give assistants. Also, apparently his wife is a lawyer in STL, and she and the kids stayed here while he was coaching at Mizzou, so that's another thing that might have helped us.

16 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I have no idea if Tate is a a good or a bad hire but for years people have been complaining that none of the SLU coaches have hired a local guy with ties to all the local players/coaches.  Now Ford hires one and people are saying that maybe it is not a good thing.  This board is amazing sometimes.  At this point, Ford has shown he knows how to play the game and that is something we have not had in recent memory.  Tate has to help locally- can't hurt - but who will be the game AC - lets just wait and see just how bad or good the other AC are before we start saying the sky is falling.

I remember the "young black local coach" proponents very well. Now there is an entire staff of black guys. 

Also, for the "He didn't recruit St. Louis very well" argument, didn't he start at Mizzou a year ago? How was he supposed to land Tatum at that point when it was already a two horse race? 

As pointed out earlier in this thread, Tate worked with the big men at Mizzou.  Ryan Rosburg went from being a complete stiff for 3 1/2 seasons to averaging 10 points and 4 boards in conference play last season.  Kevin Puryear averaged 11 and 5 in conference play as a freshman.  Puryear wasn't a huge prospect coming out of high school.  Tate probably deserves some credit for their development