OT: Trouble at GW?

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Safe space for the hoopsters.

I don't think the players are the problem here:

"Five current and former players said Lonergan told players [athletic director] Nero requested the practice tapes so he could masturbate while viewing them in his office. The players said Lonergan also told them Nero had engaged in a sexual relationship with a member of the team. Players said they found those comments to be shocking and offensive, with no grounding in reality...

"According to multiple players, Lonergan’s critiques crossed the line from constructive to mean-spirited. He told one player his son would always be on food stamps. He told another, in front of the team, he should transfer to a “transgender league,” multiple players said.

One person close to a former GW player said he “went through hell” playing for Lonergan because of constant personal comments and critiques. One former player said he attended therapy and considered quitting basketball because of Lonergan’s language and actions toward him."

Can't talk about your boss that way, and that's crossing a line with the players from typical tough guy coach BS to personal attacks. D-I coaches get paid too much to act like that. And now the fact that it's gone public hurts him, the program, and the school going forward. Players can take a lot from coaches, so when there's this level of attrition and guys willing to speak up, there's a problem.

Deane had similar issues but in today's world, I'd wager most of the "dinosaur" coaches could not survive today's scrutiny of YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and the like.  I think there are some stories circulating of Majerus doing some "strange" things as well.  Deane was verbally abusive as I recall.  Brian Wardle was accused of same at UW-Milwaukee or wherever he is and I think he played for Deane.  We all know the infamous Bobby Knight/Neil Reed practice choking incident.  Wasn't there some flap at SMU over Craig James' kid and his treatment?  Back in the 70's, I played for football coaches who physically picked kids up and threw them out of the locker room in fits of rage.  In midgets --- seventh and eighth grade --- our line coach was a former Boston Patriot (yeah, Boston, you read that right) and he would get down in a stance against us without pads and physically destroy you to prove a point or technique.  That was then.

Adapt or die as I see it.  But I find it incredibly unbelievable that Lonergan, who knows all this, would do things that are so stupid.  Without some major intervention, I'd say he's gone but temper that given the anonymous nature of those complaining about him.  I'm not saying he's innocent nor guilty  --- but if any of it is true, he's pretty stoopid for being such.  And article says he questioned the sexual orientation of his boss -- a guy who lobbied for GeeDubya to hire him based on their America East connections. 

Just not surprised over all this stuff anymore. 

Geedubya. What a school.  Thank gawd none of US went there ............................ (hint, hint, wink, wink ....)

Talking about crazy coaches with poor impulse control, I see Mike Rice, the old Rutgers coach, is back. He's coaching at the Patrick School. A prep school in Northern NJ. When the old St Patrick's HS closed it seems that parents of students got together and created this school and they hired Rice. Independent of the diocese or any religious order. The old St Patrick's was HS basketball powerhouse with several alum NBA players. 

No doubt they want to bring back the glory days of the past. I believe Rice signed several highly ranked players.