#1 Overall Seed Picks Home Court for First two rounds

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/07/18/overall-1-seed-choose-location-first-second-round-ncaa-tournament

Starting this upcoming season, the top overall seed in the tournament will be able to choose the location for its first- and second-round games in the tournament, the Division I men's basketball committee announced on Monday.

Schools with a potential chance at the No. 1 overall seed will have to look over the eight locations prior to the seeding of the tournament and submit a preferred destination to the selection committee.

26 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Don't they already get placed in the 1st/2nd round site that is closest to home? I'm confused as to why this really matters but it seems like all the major websites are making a big deal out of it.

It's not a huge deal but it gives them a little more flexibility if they'd rather play in the city 150 miles from campus instead of the one 140 miles from campus.

The example given in one article I read was Michigan St would likely rather play in Indianapolis than Milwaukee even though Milwaukee is technically closer to campus.

28 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Don't they already get placed in the 1st/2nd round site that is closest to home? I'm confused as to why this really matters but it seems like all the major websites are making a big deal out of it.

-since the introduction of the 'pod system' it sure seems like the #1's are placed close to home even more than they used to, there was some debate over this yr's tourney on where KU was to go, Des Moines or 50 miles further to St Louis, I think in most cases it is pretty evident

I think it just not about proximity to the campus.

Some programs have a tremendous entourage fans. For example if Kentucky had a choice between Knoxville or Memphis, both cities have access to big arenas but Memphis has more hotel rooms and a better nightlife for the off day evening.

Have to keep the alums and moneyed fans happy.  

2 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I think it just not about proximity to the campus.

Some programs have a tremendous entourage fans. For example if Kentucky had a choice between Knoxville or Memphis, both cities have access to big arenas but Memphis has more hotel rooms and a better nightlife for the off day evening.

Have to keep the alums and moneyed fans happy.  

Duke is another example.  If you are Duke would you pick DC or the NYC area?  DC is 3 hour shorter drive, but the NYC area is basically Cameron north when Duke plays there.  

Do you want to play at a site that is a shorter drive for your students or do you want to pack the building with rich alumni and basically use those two games as a huge fund raising opportunity?