Willie Reed Watch and Opinions

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-good luck to WR on the court and off, I hope he has a good financial person to help manage his money 

For sure. Miami is a city where it isn't overly difficult to find ways to blow thru a million dollar salary.

Got news for you ChosenOne: there is no problem or difficulty to find ways to blow through a million dollar salary anywhere in a large city, including St. Louis. This is particularly true if you consider the fact that he has to pay Fed taxes (no State taxes in Florida), pay his agent, and fund whatever set aside fund the league/team requires. As a single person, he will be lucky to have much over 1/2 of his salary  to spend in any given year, if he is married he will pay less taxes but he will have to fund her spending; if he is divorced he will likely get a lot less spending money to play with (and the ex will increase her alimony and enjoy the raise in most States). Make a list my friend, a suitable house and car (Porsche Cayenne?), nice clothing, suitable entertainment... All of this will have a major impact upon his balance sheet, not to mention property taxes, sales tax, and insurance (all pretty high in Florida). Yep, no problem at all in spending his $1M per year salary, as you say, but extended to anywhere he goes, not just Miami, FL. 

I'm praying he ends up playing significant minutes in a twin-towers rotation alongside Whiteside. Those two would be a force to reckon with in the paint, a Picasso-van Gogh duo. I don't think it is much of a stretch and would do wonders for his career. 

For everyone suggesting he play overseas,

let's see you work in a foreign country with no friends or family, no knowledge of the language or culture, all while trying to raise a young child. Nobody wants to live in Israel, and if I have the choice between the NBA and a lesser salary vs. an undesirable foreign country and an insignificantly larger pay scale it's the NBA 10/10 times. Not to mention the opportunities that arise within the association for former players i.e. broadcasting, coaching staffs, etc. etc. 

Having any former Billiken in the league is something to be proud of, and to do anything besides hope and pray he makes it big is super petty. +1 to everyone mentioning the publicity advantages.

On 7/13/2016 at 4:30 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Well, how often does the regular menu at Applebee's change? :D

(I really am rooting for Willie Reed to do well at Miami but wonder if they're a playoff-caliber team with Wade gone to Chicago.)

Chris Bosh and Hassan Whiteside are both better players than Wade at this point, but that doesn't change the fact that they have a very weak back court. Goran Dragic can only get so much done on his own, they really need to work up a trade to get themselves a reliable shooter or scoring threat of any kind to round out their top 5.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:19 PM, almaman said:

remember being unimpressed when Wade played us in college.

That's because he had Josh Fisher guarding him. Wade played us four times, and three of those were the three worst games at Marquette for him (I'm not exaggerating). He was held to his two lowest-scoring performances in college against us (both in 2002-2003), and another time almost reached his average in horribly inefficient style (I think it took him 20 FGs and some FTs to hit 13 points, but can't find the 2001-2002 game log).

Granted, we lost all four of those games (three were close, but we scored 38 in one), but it was Novak and/or Diener that had to get it done. Fisher shut down Wade in ways that no one else did in his two-year college career.

So it makes sense that you weren't impressed by him if you just saw him play SLU.

I recall after WR's freshman year there was an article about what college players had a legit shot at the NBA. Willie was mentioned as having a high upside. After that, I never figured he would finish his degree at SLU. He likely would have jumped after his JR year. Still, I wish he'd hit the books when he came back on campus in order to have played that 11-12 season along with Kwamain, et al. I really think with him on that team we could have made a big run in the dance. Now it's just all water over the dam and am glad we've got a player in an NBA program that lists SLU as his college.

On 7/18/2016 at 8:37 AM, Pistol said:

Granted, we lost all four of those games (three were close, but we scored 38 in one), but it was Novak and/or Diener that had to get it done. Fisher shut down Wade in ways that no one else did in his two-year college career.

And if the current five-second rule were in place back then (or if the five-second rule from those days had been enforced correctly), we would have won at least one of those games. (No, I'll never let that one go. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...