Willie Reed Watch and Opinions

well excuse me if id rather follow the life after billiken baasketball of the careers of the players that did things right.   stayed out of trouble, got their degrees, merged successfully with society, etc.   If you all want to dedicate threads every month or so idolizing willie reed who didnt do much of anything right while a billiken beyond some nice dunks and blocked shots, more power to you.   personally i think you have your priorities mixed up.   

i have no vendetta towards willie reed.   i just couldnt care less about him due to his failure as a total student athlete at slu and cant see the need to follow his life thereafter.  

those that want to state he's done so much right thereafter and deserves all this attention, i say if you want to idolize a former player that made the mistakes but then did all the right things and deserves the attention and praise for his life thereafter, i'd look more to kwamaine than willie.   i was very down on mitchell for the mess he put himself (and the billikens) in at the time.   he then accepted his responsibility, did all the things he needed to do to come back and had a nice senior season.   there is the player to watch and admire after going through his adversity.    

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

well excuse me if id rather follow the life after billiken baasketball of the careers of the players that did things right.   stayed out of trouble, got their degrees, merged successfully with society, etc.   If you all want to dedicate threads every month or so idolizing willie reed who didnt do much of anything right while a billiken beyond some nice dunks and blocked shots, more power to you.   personally i think you have your priorities mixed up.   

i have no vendetta towards willie reed.   i just couldnt care less about him due to his failure as a total student athlete at slu and cant see the need to follow his life thereafter.  

those that want to state he's done so much right thereafter and deserves all this attention, i say if you want to idolize a former player that made the mistakes but then did all the right things and deserves the attention and praise for his life thereafter, i'd look more to kwamaine than willie.   i was very down on mitchell for the mess he put himself (and the billikens) in at the time.   he then accepted his responsibility, did all the things he needed to do to come back and had a nice senior season.   there is the player to watch and admire after going through his adversity.    

I'm glad one former Billiken was able to live up to your high standards. You sound like a self-righteous prick. I'll take the guy who made mistakes as a young college student yet matured and accomplished his goals over the old man judging others from his ivory tower every day of the week. 

28 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

He made close to a million dollars last season. Please tell us again how he's losing money.

On his minimum contract only 500k was guaranteed.  Since he left the team on his own before the season was over he probably didn't get that much.

28 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

I'm glad one former Billiken was able to live up to your high standards. You sound like a self-righteous prick. I'll take the guy who made mistakes as a young college student yet matured and accomplished his goals over the old man judging others from his ivory tower every day of the week. 

most of the former billikens in my billiken lifetime lived up to "my high standards".   our record of degrees is remarkable and outstanding post billiken job careers is great.   the number of former players that have gotten into trouble can be counted on your hands and the non degrees probably can as well.   

you say willie matured.   didnt he just walk off his nba team just last year?   and by accomplishing his goals, you mean making the nba was his goal?   nothing about graduating from college and contributing to society?    what are we giving kids scholarships to college if finishing college isnt their goal?   

thanks for the SRP compliment.   coming from the likes of you that is just fine.   

38 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

We also follow the life of Brian Conklin, Dwayne Evans, Kevin Lisch, etc. Perhaps it is just not as "exciting" following those players as they traverse though the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tiers of professional basketball. Willie Reed represents the Billikens in a positive light whenever he can. He has nothing but good things to say (at least publicly) about his time at SLU. 

I don't have my "priorities mixed up." I simply have the ability to follow more than one career at a time. 

What the heck does "merged successfully with society" mean? Willie has 2 kids, a wife, and he provides for them. His life isn't like yours. That's okay. 

It's kind of weird that you will die on the sword for any kid that doesn't have a scholarship renewed, but you "couldn't care less" about a kid that didn't take the ideal path to success. Okay. You're all about the kids, until you aren't.

im all about the billiken kids that did the right thing.   not the ones that didnt make the effort to live up to their very nice saint louis university scholarship.  

do the job academically, be a good citizen and teamate and i indeed will cheer till the end of time.   

59 minutes ago, thetorch said:

On his minimum contract only 500k was guaranteed.  Since he left the team on his own before the season was over he probably didn't get that much.

So how exactly has he cost himself any money by not playing overseas?

30 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

So how exactly has he cost himself any money by not playing overseas?

Willie could easily star in the highest leagues in Europe.  Probably make over a million a year for playing 5 month season.  He could have been doing this for 5 years instead of making NBDL and part time NBA money.  Last year I would bet Willie made 400k and that was the most money he's made in a year.  His contract in Israel that he walked away from was worth more than that.

I put Willie in the same boat with headcases like Melvin, Carlos Skinner, Kevin Footes.  I take no joy in seeing him piss away money in his pro career any more than I saw him piss away victories for SLU.

Hey Roy if you ignore Willie and our excitement about him and come xmas he's done a Kurt Warner and fills in @ GSW for a starter and carries team to another Nba final and all the puff pieces about him mentioned SLU as his college team would you consider that a plus for the program? If yes that's one reason to follow. I can't conceive a no answer. every time a pro player's school is mentioned it's a free ad. Since we have only one sport that feeds the four major pro sport leagues and we suck it's exciting when we have anyone that hits the NBA. Best free ad provider in all our lifetime has to be Pat Leahy who was always listed on Jet's roster as SLU for college even though we hadn't had a team in 30 years.

6 hours ago, thetorch said:

Willie could easily star in the highest leagues in Europe.  Probably make over a million a year for playing 5 month season.  He could have been doing this for 5 years instead of making NBDL and part time NBA money.  Last year I would bet Willie made 400k and that was the most money he's made in a year.  His contract in Israel that he walked away from was worth more than that.

I put Willie in the same boat with headcases like Melvin, Carlos Skinner, Kevin Footes.  I take no joy in seeing him piss away money in his pro career any more than I saw him piss away victories for SLU.

Willie was with the team until the last two weeks of the season.  He missed at most two paychecks- as a matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if he collected all his money.  Additionally, his leaving the team has been way overblown- it's not a big deal to anyone in the NBA, so I have a hard time figuring why your panties are in a bunch over it.

7 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Maybe he would rather chase his NBA dream in the US than live in Israel or Spain. 

Reed has no degree, no real future earning potential besides basketball.  So he toils on D League wages and NBA minimum contracts with little guaranteed money instead of going overseas and making significant dough. 

Reed earned at most 500k.  Leaving the team before the season is over he abandoned all his incentives.

I can see you guys just ignoring the trouble he got in here.  Its not even about the "situation."  There were several other incidents he was involved in and he couldn't out of trouble.  If he could have Majerus would have kept him another year.  He's still doing the same things.  Last season he called out his coach on social media, then deleted the posts, then left the team before the season was over,  You think NBA teams don't think that is a big deal? 

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Reed has no degree, no real future earning potential besides basketball.  So he toils on D League wages and NBA minimum contracts with little guaranteed money instead of going overseas and making significant dough. 

Reed earned at most 500k.  Leaving the team before the season is over he abandoned all his incentives.

I can see you guys just ignoring the trouble he got in here.  Its not even about the "situation."  There were several other incidents he was involved in and he couldn't out of trouble.  If he could have Majerus would have kept him another year.  He's still doing the same things.  Last season he called out his coach on social media, then deleted the posts, then left the team before the season was over,  You think NBA teams don't think that is a big deal? 

Willie may not like it abroad. You have no idea. Even so,  he still made more money than most people last year. 

I can't believe we are debating the value of following the only Billiken that has sniffed time in the league in the past 15 years. 

Look, people change and sometimes they don't.  I wish Willie all the luck and hope his family brings him much joy in his life.  He had problems here but he has managed to stay out of real trouble and get a chance.  Should he play overseas or here is his call but others can still have their own opinion.  Willie had a lot of talent and I am glad he has at least putting it to use.

No thanks on spending any time in Israel. Willie could put together one of those careers that he makes good money and hangs around the league for 7-10 years. Hopefully airtime isn't handling his money though. 

http://m.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/basketball/heat-fill-out-roster-with-flurry-of-signings/nrwYc/

This article indicates that year two is a player option, which is a very good deal. A tad surprised he didn't go somewhere with a more obvious route to playing time, but he did play with them last summer, so maybe there's an extra level of comfort in Miami. Hoping for the best! Congrats, Willie.