Want-to-be Billiken

A family friend of mine lives in Brisbane, Australia. He has played high-level select basketball over there for a few years now and has shown serious interest in playing college basketball here in the states - specifically at SLU. He is 16 years old, but as their school years are different from ours he is only a sophomore. He stands 6'6" with a lot of room to grow (size 14 shoe) and an impressive skill set that will only continue to develop. We all know SLU likes their foreign bigs and this kid is a Cody Ellis 2.0.

Something to note: he will have about 6 months between graduating high school and the beginning of our American school year, so by the time we start OOC play he will be 19.5 years old and more physically mature than most freshman. 

He will be in town shortly and has a campus visit scheduled, however with the new coaching staff we have not been able to get in contact with anyone for him to meet the staff or the team. Anyone have any suggestions or inside connections that could help us out? 

14 minutes ago, abas115 said:

A family friend of mine lives in Brisbane, Australia. He has played high-level select basketball over there for a few years now and has shown serious interest in playing college basketball here in the states - specifically at SLU. He is 16 years old, but as their school years are different from ours he is only a sophomore. He stands 6'6" with a lot of room to grow (size 14 shoe) and an impressive skill set that will only continue to develop. We all know SLU likes their foreign bigs and this kid is a Cody Ellis 2.0.

Something to note: he will have about 6 months between graduating high school and the beginning of our American school year, so by the time we start OOC play he will be 19.5 years old and more physically mature than most freshman. 

He will be in town shortly and has a campus visit scheduled, however with the new coaching staff we have not been able to get in contact with anyone for him to meet the staff or the team. Anyone have any suggestions or inside connections that could help us out? 

If this works out that would be quite a story. 

41 minutes ago, abas115 said:

Have you or him just emailed the coaching staff?

This website lists contact info for almost everyone in the athletic department including the new men's basketball staff:

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210011524&DB_OEM_ID=27200&DB_OEM_ID=27200

Department of Athletics Mailing Address:

Chaifetz Arena
3330 Laclede Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63103
Phone Number: 314-977-3177

Chris May, Director of Athletics 977-3167 [email protected]

Travis FordHead Coach

977-3170  [email protected]

Will Bailey, Assistant Coach

[email protected]

Van Macon, Assistant Coach

977-3168  [email protected]

Michael Wilson, Video Coordinator

977-3255 

[email protected]

Megan Centers, Office Coordinator

977-3170  [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate all the input.

He really enjoyed his campus visit; "Blown away," in his words. He got to tour Chaifetz and even see the team working out, but only from the window view of the practice gym. His family has returned home already but I have them working on a better footage reel for me to get to the staff and I am also trying to get him in contact with Cody Ellis. I have met him on multiple occasions and am still friends on Facebook with him. I figure if I could get them in contact and Cody liked what he saw that would be a very good connection for him. He will also be filling out the questionnaire. Wish us luck.