2016 Soccer Schedule

Here is the schedule.  It looks pretty tough.  Wake and UNC were top 5 teams last year.  Denver, Indiana and Louisville were top 25.  Tulsa was 40th in RPI.  Marquette and Wisconsin were over 100 last year but both should be better this coming year and not cupcakes.   I like it and hope this is a permanent change in scheduling philosophy.

http://www.slubillikens.com/SportSelect.dbml?ATCLID=211020406&DB_LANG=C&&DB_OEM_ID=27200&SPID=93202&SPSID=632578

39 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Any idea how good the team will be? What are the expectations?

if the schedule is really tough is the team up to the task?

I do not know how good they are going to be but I doubt they will be ranked in preseason polls.  They lost 3 drafted players from another underachieving team.  They might be good regardless.

Scheduling tougher will be beneficial independent of how good SLU is though.  They should be good enough to be fairly competitive in A-10 and playing tougher OOC will help.  Also, they will put themselves in a much better position for at-large selection in the NCAAs.  This seems to be especially true in soccer as barely .500 teams with tough schedules get selected over much higher winning percentages against middling competition.  Most importantly, and this is a subtle point, the variance in soccer results are greater than most sports so it is possible for weaker teams to beat/tie you and for you to beat/tie top teams.  Given that you are formally penalized in the RPI for bad losses and rewarded for good wins it makes little sense to schedule additional weak teams as they have already have enough weak teams in the A-10 for SLU to get their share.

5 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I think they're going to be pretty good. I like the balance of this year's team more than previous years. The schedule also shapes up much better for an at-large bid than what we've seen recently. 

Nm

Edited by kshoe

McGinty has international connections so it's smart of him to use those connections. He's brought in some really good international players. St Louis still produces a ton of talent but long gone are the days where SLU can field a team with the majority of St Louis kids. The rest of the country has caught up to St Louis in producing high school and college talent. They've gotten some good players out of St Louis lately like Kristo though.

Agree with 05, McGinty's seat should be burning hot as is. Anything less than a win in the NCAA Tourney and I'd look elsewhere for my coach next year.

18 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

You say he has brought in some really good international players I guess I would have to beg to differ.

They weren't very good last year - were they?

8-7-2?

And this would mean he hasn't brought in any really good international players? In one post you're asking about the team as someone who isn't informed and in the next you're begging to differ on the quality of international players.

I agree with 13 and 05 that his seat should be getting warm. I really thought he was going to get us over that hump from good to upper echelon. It just hasn't turned out like I thought it would. Some good wins, but fat too many disappointing losses.

51 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

And this would mean he hasn't brought in any really good international players? In one post you're asking about the team as someone who isn't informed and in the next you're begging to differ on the quality of international players.

If they were truly that good wouldn't they have been better than 8-7-2?

I am just going by results on the field.

No opinion on the players whatsoever, what makes these international players good?

1 hour ago, Tilkowsky said:

If they were truly that good wouldn't they have been better than 8-7-2?

I am just going by results on the field.

No opinion on the players whatsoever, what makes these international players good?

Isn't there another message board you can bother or something else you could be doing?

5 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

So this board is just pro- SLU talk?

No contrary opinions?

The short answer is easy and I'm sure you already know it. You recruit the best players to fit your system and clearly McGinty sees higher value in international players over local/american players. 

8 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

No contrary opinions?

Hello TrollPants.  No one to talk to on the SLU Talk St PD forum?  Everyone pretty much got disgusted with you and left for this board.

Steve, you have bounced this troll before.  He has been bounced by the PD many times.  I suggest you do so again.

46 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

No contrary opinions?

In this thread, three people have stated that McGinty should be on the hot seat and no one has expressed satisfaction with the results he has produced.

7 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

Maybe somebody could comment on the distinct foreign flavor on SLU's team. What is the philosophy behind that?

Are there not enough American kids to recruit?

Plus there is a dearth of St. Louis kids. What is up with that?

TrollPants, here is link to the thread where you asked very same question on SLU Talk.  You have already asked and answered this yourself. Why bring it up again here?

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1144669

Sephacs, DiegoGarcia, Black Cat, Origi, and so many other names.

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

In this thread, three people have stated that McGinty should be on the hot seat and no one has expressed satisfaction with the results he has produced.

Yet someone called these international players good.

i asked what makes them good.

Radio silence since that time.

i pointed to their 8-7-2 record as evidence maybe they aren't that good.

Still no proof that they are good.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I personally thought they were better than their record. But I get the feeling that this will be a neverending argument so I'll stay out of it going forward.

Your record is the objective way of determining how good you are.

unless you record wasn't very good and you just can't look at the team objectively.

Which is disappointing.

Truly impressive schedule.

I need to see a deep, meaningful tourney run from this team. I have all but lost faith in McGinty.

As far as the players go, McGinty and SLU consistently rank in some of the top recruiting classes in soccer... Which makes the fact that he hasn't put a good run together all the more frustrating.

As I also recall, wasn't the team hindered by a number of tough injuries last year?