2 Bens: Cruising (and talking Pappy's) with SLU coach Travis Ford

9 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

That was terrible.

Also, I know you guys think Pappy's is good but it's just that you don't know any better.

Come on now. Pappy's is good. The Ribs are very good. I think the difference is there are many places in Texas with very good BBQ. But from A Texas boy, St. Louis has quite a bit of good bbq also. Pappy's, Sugerfire, Bogarts ribs would all rank very high anywhere. No one here really does brisket though like Texas, not even Bogarts.

9 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

That was terrible.

Also, I know you guys think Pappy's is good but it's just that you don't know any better.

-last time I was at Pappy's, it was before a game last season but not sure which one, I was underwhelmed, not worth the wait and this is the first time I can say that about their food as on the other many visits it has been great

13 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

best frozen mozzarella sticks in this nation. 

Frozen mozzarella sticks?? J & A's may have the only frozen mozzarella sticks in the nation (unless its a SL thing). I can't even fathom that.

Is J & A's still on Newstead?

4 hours ago, almaman said:

i think Adam's Smokehouse, a Pappy's step kid if you will is every bit as good and way less hassle. gotta love having one of the most praised bbq spot on the planet basically on campus though.

-I agree and like Pappy's the people are very nice

5 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Come on now. Pappy's is good. The Ribs are very good. I think the difference is there are many places in Texas with very good BBQ. But from A Texas boy, St. Louis has quite a bit of good bbq also. Pappy's, Sugerfire, Bogarts ribs would all rank very high anywhere. No one here really does brisket though like Texas, not even Bogarts.

I have had inconsistent brisket at Sugarfire, but sometimes their brisket can be real choice. If brisket and Texas-style bbq is your thing, give Salt and Smoke in the Loop a try. Not my favorite personally, but worth a try.

5 hours ago, almaman said:

i think Adam's Smokehouse, a Pappy's step kid if you will is every bit as good and way less hassle. gotta love having one of the most praised bbq spot on the planet basically on campus though.

I am a huge fan of the smoked salami at Adam's and like the people there (which could be said for all of those places; Pappy's, Bogart's, and Adam's). The ribs and smoked chicken wings (I think only available on the weekends) at Bogart's are top notch. St. Louis has some great bbq.

For the Texas guys on here, what are the can't miss places in Austin? My wife and I will be there in the fall and I want to make sure to get my fill of Texas bbq. We are already planning on making the trip to the Salt Lick since we did a few years ago and loved it.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I have had inconsistent brisket at Sugarfire, but sometimes their brisket can be real choice. If brisket and Texas-style bbq is your thing, give Salt and Smoke in the Loop a try. Not my favorite personally, but worth a try.

-I like Salt and Smoke's brisket and their version of toasted ravs with the burnt ends filing is tough to beat

6 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Shouldn't we move this bbq talk over to all the randomness in the Javon Bess thread?

Only if we discuss which bourbon pairs best with which bbq.

For Bonwich and the chosen one, my favorite in Austin is La Barbecue as good as Franklin but better sides and shorter line. They will run out so get there early. Franklin is really good and they outlawed paying some one to wait in line for you but it still happens.You can just tail gate while you wait supposedly the line is responsible for 3 marriages.  You gotta get there about 6 AM. So I recommend La BBQ.  Salt Lick is picturesque and good but it's a drive.  Can't wait, can't drive other places out of BBQ?  Well get to Terry Black's on Barton Springs Rd. It's good and has the pedigree of Lockhart BBQ.  

BBQ is great but get breakfast tacos, Tex Mex, Mexican margaritas, and some other great food in town too.

I have worked in most of the states of our country and have ate a lot of BBQ and I think Pappy's is my favorite of all.  The ribs and the brisket are my favorites.  I work across the street from Sugar fire and have walked over for a few lunches and been served it for lunch meetings.  My friend that builds cooking equipment for Pappy's told me that they own Bogart's so it might be the same. 

16 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Only if we discuss which bourbon pairs best with which bbq.

For Bonwich and the chosen one, my favorite in Austin is La Barbecue as good as Franklin but better sides and shorter line. They will run out so get there early. Franklin is really good and they outlawed paying some one to wait in line for you but it still happens.You can just tail gate while you wait supposedly the line is responsible for 3 marriages.  You gotta get there about 6 AM. So I recommend La BBQ.  Salt Lick is picturesque and good but it's a drive.  Can't wait, can't drive other places out of BBQ?  Well get to Terry Black's on Barton Springs Rd. It's good and has the pedigree of Lockhart BBQ.  

BBQ is great but get breakfast tacos, Tex Mex, Mexican margaritas, and some other great food in town too.

Fun coincidence: The St. Louis Terry Black is the co-founder of Super Smokers, probably the first place to bring real bbq to STL. He's also one of the scorekeepers at home games.

32332*750.jpg

Just to add my two cents here, A_Bomb is dead on with La BBQ. Best brisket I've ever had, hands down. Was able to get some Franklin from a friend who picked a bunch up before the rest of our group got into town (he waited 3+ hours), and I preferred La BBQ. But the Franklin had been sitting out a while, so there's that caveat. 

Pappy's pulled pork is my favorite, and I prefer the ribs at Bogart's. As others have said, Adam's has great sausages and I really enjoy the other more experimental things they try on a day-to-day basis.  A friend of mine used to cook there and they always had something fun to try out. He's actually opening up (has opened?) a place called The Stellar Hog. If I were in town still, I'd have checked it out, but it's at least worth a try. 

Don't forget Dalie's in Valley Park, the newest of Pappy's cousins. (Who also now include Notorious P.I.G. in Missoula.)

As for your friend's place, here's the most recent update: The Stellar Hog (former Super’s Bungalow space), 5623 Leona, late June