Is the Graduate Transfer Rule a Farce?

There was an interesting article in the PD today on the Graduate Transfer situation. The numbers given were for football, but I have seen similar figures for hoops.

According to the article, an NCAA study show that only 24% of the players who used the graduate transfer situation to move to another school graduated from the grad school program. 7% remained in school after their athletic eligibility expired, and 68% dropped out. So roughly 2/3 used the system to gain another year of eligibility and left without finishing grad school. If the athlete has no intention of finishing grad school, should there be a system in place to 'enroll' him as a student manager of sorts, eligible to play with no requirement to attend classes? Why not? He's not going to classes second semester anyway.

An interesting not from the SEC, if a graduate transfer does not complete the graduate program, the player's school cannot enroll another athlete under the exception for three years. That happened at Mizzou when Hawaii basketball transfer Keith Shamburger played in 2014-15 but didn't complete the grad program. Mizzou cannot accept another basketball graduate transfer until 2017. Interesting. Does the SEC have something right?

Kids use the rule to benefit them, no doubt about it. Wasn't this a part of the genesis of the APR for undergrads? I recall a bunch of situations where all the kid did was stay eligible based on mid-terms to finish that second semester and play in the dance ---- only to hit the road after elimination to "get ready" for the NBA draft and/or post-season job tryouts in Europe. I remember this being the talk with guys like Bobby Brannen at Cincinnati, Tommie Liddell for us, and many others around the college scene. Athletes are given five years to complete four. Many use that in a red-shirt year but same principle.

I for one am not surprised at the numbers. In the somewhat convoluted world of the NCAA it makes sense and I can see it happening. I like the SEC rule, if that is indeed the case. Like all things, some moderation and sanity have to be a part of the premise. There is a story out here how Mark Turgeon "recruited" LJ Gill of Duquesne to come to Maryland and do so under this grad transfer rule. It makes me wonder if there is some sort of tampering of sorts going on when you "actively" recruits these types of candidates, which seems to be hinted at here with Turgeon and Gill.

There was an interesting article in the PD today on the Graduate Transfer situation. The numbers given were for football, but I have seen similar figures for hoops.

According to the article, an NCAA study show that only 24% of the players who used the graduate transfer situation to move to another school graduated from the grad school program. 7% remained in school after their athletic eligibility expired, and 68% dropped out. So roughly 2/3 used the system to gain another year of eligibility and left without finishing grad school. If the athlete has no intention of finishing grad school, should there be a system in place to 'enroll' him as a student manager of sorts, eligible to play with no requirement to attend classes? Why not? He's not going to classes second semester anyway.

An interesting not from the SEC, if a graduate transfer does not complete the graduate program, the player's school cannot enroll another athlete under the exception for three years. That happened at Mizzou when Hawaii basketball transfer Keith Shamburger played in 2014-15 but didn't complete the grad program. Mizzou cannot accept another basketball graduate transfer until 2017. Interesting. Does the SEC have something right?

I feel like all transfer restrictions are a farce. The NCAA only allows 1 year scholarships to players, there is no guarantee of 4 years. Then, the NCAA won't let kids move when they want without sitting out a year. Why? Because it is in the best interest of the players? No. It is to prevent a free agent approach to the college system. Really, if a kid could transfer up to a better program at any time, why shouldn't they?

If the NCAA cared about the best interests of the students, there would not be a transfer restriction in the first place.

The reality is that basketball and football are different - in all other sports (there may be an additional sport of which I am unaware) there is no restriction. A player can transfer and play the next with a proper release. You don't see everyone jumping up to the better schools because most kids are in university for an education. They aren't interested in Keith Shamberger like three schools in three years. At the same time, of course some kids do transfer and it does mean the rich get richer. A lightly recruited kid who excels his/her freshman year at a lower tier school (academically and athletically) can essentially be re-recruited upwards. The quality programs become entrenched and it is even harder for the "mid-major".

The graduate transfer rule is a farce - the "as long as the school does not have your graduate degree" requirement is hardly enforced, and I'd be willing to bet a lot of football transfers don't even attend class. By the time grades come out, the season (and their eligibility) is complete. The SEC rule (which I have not heard of) is a nice check which could be more widely adopted to limit the "fake" graduate transfer.

Pretty sure the same rule is in effect for baseball too.

Also, men's ice hockey. Here is the NCAA rule:

You may be able to compete immediately after transferring if you meet ALL the following conditions:

• This is the first time you are transferring from a four-year college.
  • You play a sport other than Division I baseball, basketball, football or men’s ice hockey.
  • You are in good academic standing and making progress toward your degree.
  • The school from which you are transferring has given you a written release agreement allowing you to compete immediately at your new school

You may be able to compete immediately if you meet ANY of the following conditions:

• Your sport is no longer sponsored at the school from which you are transferring.
  • You return to your first school without participating at the second school.
  • You have never been recruited.
  • You have not practiced or competed in your sport for two years before your transfer.
  • You are transferring to a Division III college.