Brief Coach Ford Q&A on SI.com

ARon

www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/06/03/Travis-ford-Saint-Louis-Oklahoma-state

Not a ton here. Did state he has learned not to sign guys just to fill scholarships.

Sounds like St. Louis the city had a lot more to do with his interest in the job than Saint Louis the University. Conference affiliation also sounds like it was a non-factor.

A lot of great cities that are great places to live in, have significant amounts of troubles of their own. Look at Baltimore, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and most of the other great cities in the US, none of them is free of issues or severe problems, and still are great places to live in, like St. Louis. Regardless of the problems they have they are still better places to live in than Stillwater OK.

www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/06/03/Travis-ford-Saint-Louis-Oklahoma-state

Not a ton here. Did state he has learned not to sign guys just to fill scholarships.

Sounds like St. Louis the city had a lot more to do with his interest in the job than Saint Louis the University. Conference affiliation also sounds like it was a non-factor.

Don't get me wrong, I love having an article about the Billikens on SI.com. However, this Q&A provides absolutely nothing. Ford's answers are very bland or just "coachspeak". I don't buy for a second that it was solely about finding a great place for his family to live. SLU likely offered him the most money or very close to it and the best opportunity to potentially make more in the future. Obviously he is not going to say that though and talking about the importance of family sounds good to everyone.

His comment on recruiting:

I’ve been very patient as far as recruiting. I talked about it in the press conference, but this is the fifth program I’ve taken over at the college level. You always learn lessons. I’ve made some mistakes early on before trying to just use scholarships because they were there and signing players because you felt like you had to.

I’ve been very patient as far as evaluating the guys we have now. And we’re only going to recruit and bring in guys that we feel like are going to be difference-makers and help us get better rather than just fill a scholarship. So I’ve just been patient with that—trying to learn my team and the needs we do have.

It just takes time, especially when you haven’t had much time already.

His comment on recruiting:

I’ve been very patient as far as recruiting. I talked about it in the press conference, but this is the fifth program I’ve taken over at the college level. You always learn lessons. I’ve made some mistakes early on before trying to just use scholarships because they were there and signing players because you felt like you had to.

I’ve been very patient as far as evaluating the guys we have now. And we’re only going to recruit and bring in guys that we feel like are going to be difference-makers and help us get better rather than just fill a scholarship. So I’ve just been patient with that—trying to learn my team and the needs we do have.

It just takes time, especially when you haven’t had much time already.

:lol: Fortunately he does not have that 'save a scholarship attitude' for that mythical 5 star player who late in the game wants to come to be a Billiken.

Don't get me wrong, I love having an article about the Billikens on SI.com. However, this Q&A provides absolutely nothing. Ford's answers are very bland or just "coachspeak". I don't buy for a second that it was solely about finding a great place for his family to live. SLU likely offered him the most money or very close to it and the best opportunity to potentially make more in the future. Obviously he is not going to say that though and talking about the importance of family sounds good to everyone.

This is a bad take.

Let's not kid ourselves, Travis will bolt for greener pastures if he leads the bills to some national success, ie dance appearances. I just hope he has a successor in waiting. May should have questioned him about this during the interview. When we've been lucky enough to have good coaches, Spoon and Rick, the problem has been no one to move up for continuity.

Let's not kid ourselves, Travis will bolt for greener pastures if he leads the bills to some national success, ie dance appearances. I just hope he has a successor in waiting. May should have questioned him about this during the interview. When we've been lucky enough to have good coaches, Spoon and Rick, the problem has been no one to move up for continuity.

Life is better in the moment. Calm down

You are probably right but maybe his family likes living in St. Louis and does not want to uproot again for greener pastures. I do not know how old his kids are but once they begin their lives in St. Louis it may keep coach Ford here for a while even though he will have other coaching offers. If coach Ford wins big and the school makes big money from the men's basketball program SLU will be able to pay a high salary. Coach Romar said of the St. Louis program when he came here that it was a diamond in the rough. Coach Majerus came here and it made me a believer that the men's basketball program can be big time and a great place for a good coach to stay.

Yeah for real. This whole successor in waiting myth is silly. Yes some schools seem to be able to promote the next guy and keep rocking. Xavier comes to mind. Others just go out and hire the next right guy, VCU.

You are probably right but maybe his family likes living in St. Louis and does not want to uproot again for greener pastures. I do not know how old his kids are but once they begin their lives in St. Louis it may keep coach Ford here for a while even though he will have other coaching offers. If coach Ford wins big and the school makes big money from the men's basketball program SLU will be able to pay a high salary. Coach Romar said of the St. Louis program when he came here that it was a diamond in the rough. Coach Majerus came here and it made me a believer that the men's basketball program can be big time and a great place for a good coach to stay.

I certainly hope this is the case. Would love it if we could find a guy who's content at SLU. Guys like Marshall, Few, and Mack are the exceptions, however. Also, VCU just brought Wade back into the fold. Travis was a good hire and look forward to him getting us back in the mix of things.