Welcome, Javon Bess

It is sad to have Hines give up the scholarship, however, he should have been glad to get the one year.  His play regressed toward the end of the season and showed why he was a walk-on.  It seemed like he took upon himself to take many ill advised shots instead of looking for a better option.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

Bartley is injury prone, Gillman hasn't developed physically, and Roby has a poor work ethic among other issues.

Chances are Hines will perform better than one of these players just like he did last year. 

We should all want the best roster possible.

Torch.  

Ye, we want the best roster possible.  And we got it for next year.  All 4 of the guys you mention will be back next year - and not just 3.  Had Ford taken a scholarship away from AG, Roby or Bartley, 1 of these 3 would have left SLU.

Second, and without intending to disrespect or insult any of these 4,there is a reason why Hines did not receive a D1 athletic scholarship from SLU or anyone else prior to last year's generous offer from SLU.  We all wish the best for HInes and hope really plays well this year.  Whether HInes will demonstrate that he is deserving or that part of last year was a fluke, the good news is that HInes will be on the roster and we will get to see.  As to the other 3, you are both wrong and unfair.  Players get hurt but to call Bartley injury prone is unfair.  He played well his freshman year, injured his foot and it apparently did not heal sufficiently and plagued him all last year.  As to Gillman, bigs take time to develop, redshirting him was a serious discussion his freshman year and he is still young. Very few bigs are developed their freshman or sophomore year.  Check back this October and let's see where he stands. As to Roby, you have no knowledge or right to speak about his work ethic, and even so, Crews and Platt deserve equal mention.  The fact that Roby has stuck around, both this year and last year, says alot to me.  And like the others, Roby deserves a fresh start under Ford to see what he can really do.  

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

But which one? If I were building out a college team for the next two seasons and had to draft 3 those 4 guys, I'd take all but Hines.

Nevermind that ford found a way to keep all 4 whereas the other "solutions" mean one of the other 3 would leave.

That's the key point there. I understand the sentiment in wanting to reward a hard-working 'walk-on', but NCAA basketball is big business. Can't be sentimental when trying to win.

3 hours ago, Billboy1 said:

It seemed like he took upon himself to take many ill advised shots instead of looking for a better option.

If that was the measure used to decide if he gets a schollie this year we'd have a few more available!

4 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Torch.  

Ye, we want the best roster possible.  And we got it for next year.  All 4 of the guys you mention will be back next year - and not just 3.  Had Ford taken a scholarship away from AG, Roby or Bartley, 1 of these 3 would have left SLU.

Second, and without intending to disrespect or insult any of these 4,there is a reason why Hines did not receive a D1 athletic scholarship from SLU or anyone else prior to last year's generous offer from SLU.  We all wish the best for HInes and hope really plays well this year.  Whether HInes will demonstrate that he is deserving or that part of last year was a fluke, the good news is that HInes will be on the roster and we will get to see.  As to the other 3, you are both wrong and unfair.  Players get hurt but to call Bartley injury prone is unfair.  He played well his freshman year, injured his foot and it apparently did not heal sufficiently and plagued him all last year.  As to Gillman, bigs take time to develop, redshirting him was a serious discussion his freshman year and he is still young. Very few bigs are developed their freshman or sophomore year.  Check back this October and let's see where he stands. As to Roby, you have no knowledge or right to speak about his work ethic, and even so, Crews and Platt deserve equal mention.  The fact that Roby has stuck around, both this year and last year, says alot to me.  And like the others, Roby deserves a fresh start under Ford to see what he can really do.  

Right on target!  Hines will be a senior academically, but a junior athletically.  Let's all hope that he has HUGE year and we can have a discussion a year from now on whether or not he should be awarded a final year scholarship.

It's amazing how MBM's know so much about a player's work ethic by attending a few games.  I for one, thought his work ethic was quite satisfactory.  Don't forget that Roby had a splint on a finger on his shooting hand (during practice) for most of the year.  When his finger finally healed, his shot improved significantly.

5 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Torch.  

Just because you have no knowledge on a particular player it doesn't mean others don't.

Still the thing you are missing is if Ford took a scholarship away it would most certainly be filled with a better player than either 4 of these guys.  I'd gladly take a player who can't out play a walk on off the team to take a chance on someone who is better.

Most on the forum started to realize how little talent this roster had during last season.  Now that Crews is gone we are back to the same false narrative, that this team is just underachieving.  Continue clinging to this belief but don't be disappointed when we finish next year around 10 wins again.  A new coach is not going to make these players talented. 

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Just because you have no knowledge on a particular player it doesn't mean others don't.

Still the thing you are missing is if Ford took a scholarship away it would most certainly be filled with a better player than either 4 of these guys.  I'd gladly take a player who can't out play a walk on off the team to take a chance on someone who is better.

Most on the forum started to realize how little talent this roster had during last season.  Now that Crews is gone we are back to the same false narrative, that this team is just underachieving.  Continue clinging to this belief but don't be disappointed when we finish next year around 10 wins again.  A new coach is not going to make these players talented. 

Torch.

Agree to disagree about the false narrative.  From what I watched, Crews did a really bad job coaching the kids during a game.  The changing lineups, the lack of time outs, the lack of in-bounds plays, using 12 to 13 players in a game, giving kids the quick "hook" for any mistake, not lining up on the FT line, not making half-time adjustments and/or getting out-coached by the opponents who did make these adjustments.  Maybe I am just spoiled after watching excellent game-day coaching by Spoon, Brad and RM, but Crews and Platt were exceptionally bad.   And maybe you are right in speculating that things won't be better under Ford in that Ford's reputation appears to better at recruiting and motivating than with game-day coaching, but I do believe that Spoon and Brad would easily get more out of Roby, Bartley, etc.  Again, I am not expecting Billiken HOF but I am expecting better than we have seen and that is based upon Ford being better than Crews and upon Roby and Bartley both being healthier this year as well as being another year older, bigger, stronger and more mature.

Also, Cheese said it best, and there is no need for me to restate:  Ford did not take a scholarship away from an existing scholarship player.  And secondly, there are limits that even a new head coach can and should respect as to the number of scholarships which can and should be yanked in a given year.  Plus, we still need to field a team for this Fall as opposed to obtaining more transfers in the future.