Welcome, Javon Bess

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you count Bess, Henriquez, and Foreman as part of the 2016 recruiting class along with Johnson and Moore, is this the most talented class in the history of SLU?

Not saying that they are the best or will be the most successful. I'm just thinking purely in terms of talent. Bess and Henriquez were both 4 star recruits. I do not think SLU has ever had 2 4 stars in one class.

If you count Bess, Henriquez, and Foreman as part of the 2016 recruiting class along with Johnson and Moore, is this the most talented class in the history of SLU?

Not saying that they are the best or will be the most successful. I'm just thinking purely in terms of talent. Bess and Henriquez were both 4 star recruits. I do not think SLU has ever had 2 4 stars in one class.

Hughes-Tatum-Baniak - a 5-star and I think the other two may have been 4-stars?

(With my usual disclaimer that I hate star ratings.)

Nice pickup! A lot of folks seem to knock his ability to shoot, but his high school highlights show good form. Doesn't need to change anything dramatically, so hopefully a season of reps helps him out.

Welcome to SLU!

Ok St fans complained a lot of Ford not bringing in point guards. He had Marcus Smart but that team greatly underachieved. But not having a true PG and a Center were some of the biggest knocks on Ford. My hope is that PG's are always in such high demand that he aimed too high at Ok St and that he can land someone who is a better fit for the A10.

I'd be happy with a team of "great SG's and SF's." Can anyone say, Claggett/Highmark and Waldman???????????

You didn't consider waldman a point guard? I would take h before any other point guard the billikens have had since I became a billiken in 1978.

You didn't consider waldman a point guard? I would take h before any other point guard the billikens have had since I became a billiken in 1978.

You are right, but my point was that I would be happy with three great shooters, and if that happens with a PG, SG and SF, like the three I mentioned, then that is fine by me.

You are right, but my point was that I would be happy with three great shooters, and if that happens with a PG, SG and SF, like the three I mentioned, then that is fine by me.

Seems to be working for Golden State

thanks to kshoe for pointing out what I said about no point guard which he said was my always optimistic nature .... just as optimisticc as his brother SShoe's note of the same in post 1221 of the "2017 recruiting thread" immediately seconded by slu13 in post 1222 of same thread.

Ford is doing a great job as far as I'm concerned. But the talent level left behind by Crewsplatt was woefully weak. I don't care how much of an upgrade of talent one goes because without one point guard (and two as pointed out by 13) to properly distribute the ball, you are screwed. College ball is a guard's game, we've heard that before. Ergo my joke reference to Yarbrough. Proof? The best Billiken runs of all time included the one noted trio of Waldman, Hmark and Glaggett with H the true point. The other best run of Billiken history included three point guards in Mitchell, McCall and Jett. Is this position now filled by Bartley and Bishop going forward? I don't know and I don't think so but I do know if nothing else, we need more.

That will be one observation point for this coming season ---- how Bartley and Bishop actually play. Both have been baptized by fire. There is no excuse for them this year ---nothing should be new to either.

Disagree with you Taj, Bartley is experienced but, as we saw last season, could not perform the way he was expected to last season because of his soft tissue injury. Likewise his performance this year will depend upon how well recovered he is from his injury. Seeing that we may well have only 10 players in active play this year, Bartley, as well as Crawford, will be playing a heavier load of minutes, which favors reactivation of their injuries. This is not a macho or attitude issue; they payed last year despite having significant pain and will probably continue doing so this year. This coming season, as it was last season, it will not be a matter of "where is Bartley's 3 point shot?" or "he is not playing like in his freshman year", it is a matter of having an actual physical impediment to play. These kids deserve recognition for what they did for the team last season and what they will continue doing for the team next season. Realistically, the odds are not good that their injuries will remain in remission given the level of play they will be facing with a reduced roster of active players. So, if they play poorly, or not up to expectation next year, it will not be for lack of excuses, it will be because they have a physical impediment that keeps their performance low.

And Bishop, Roby and Agbeko cannot carry the team on their shoulders without Bartley and Crawford fully contributing. I do not expect much from Gillmann or Neufeld for next season. Indeed, I really believe that the fate of the team this coming year will depend on whatever Welmer, Moore, and Campbell can contribute. I hope it is a great year for these last three. We will see.

This has nothing at all to do with Ford, who I think is doing a very good job as a coach so far.

Disagree with you Taj, Bartley is experienced but, as we saw last season, could not perform the way he was expected to last season because of his soft tissue injury. Likewise his performance this year will depend upon how well recovered he is from his injury. Seeing that we may well have only 10 players in active play this year, Bartley, as well as Crawford, will be playing a heavier load of minutes, which favors reactivation of their injuries. This is not a macho or attitude issue; they payed last year despite having significant pain and will probably continue doing so this year. This coming season, as it was last season, it will not be a matter of "where is Bartley's 3 point shot?" or "he is not playing like in his freshman year", it is a matter of having an actual physical impediment to play. These kids deserve recognition for what they did for the team last season and what they will continue doing for the team next season. Realistically, the odds are not good that their injuries will remain in remission given the level of play they will be facing with a reduced roster of active players. So, if they play poorly, or not up to expectation next year, it will not be for lack of excuses, it will be because they have a physical impediment that keeps their performance low.

And Bishop, Roby and Agbeko cannot carry the team on their shoulders without Bartley and Crawford fully contributing. I do not expect much from Gillmann or Neufeld for next season. Indeed, I really believe that the fate of the team this coming year will depend on whatever Welmer, Moore, and Campbell can contribute. I hope it is a great year for these last three. We will see.

This has nothing at all to do with Ford, who I think is doing a very good job as a coach so far.

I can't wait to see what Campbell contributes!

Dat true. "Fast break, cross court bounce pass....NO, NO, NO.....Great Pass H."