Top 5 Billiken Mens Basketball Memories

CBFan

In '93 think the Bills just became ranked ( #18 maybe) came to KC to play UMKC at Municipal Auditorium ( we lived in KC at the time). A large group of Bills fans were there. A lady gave a my young daughter a plastic Spoon , most of the section had plastic spoons. Also when we beat KU on Robertson day, has made a bet with a KU fan, and he had to where a Billiken shirt all day and tell what a Billiken was.

I'll limit my Top 5 to games I saw in person, with a couple I didn't see in person listed under "Honorable Mention".

5. Beating Mizzou at the Edward Jones Dome (or whatever they were calling it then) in 1999.

4. The Anthony Drejaj buzzer beater against Iowa in the 2003 NIT.

3. Beating #2 Louisville my freshman year.

2. Senior Day 2013. We clinched at least a share of the A-10 title, cut down nets, honored Majerus again, and celebrated Kwamain Mitchell, Cody Ellis, and Cory Remuken. I played with the Band that day, and playing the Australian National Anthem for Cody was really cool.

1. The weekend in Columbus, Ohio in March 2012. The game against Memphis is at the top, but the whole weekend was amazing. To paraphrase what Metz said to me after the Memphis win, it was like the scene in the movie "Rudy" when Rudy's father walked into Notre Dame Stadium and said "this is the most beautiful sight these eyes have ever seen."

Honorable Mention:

The comeback against NC State in the 2014 NCAA Tournament. I had resigned myself that in a few minutes, I wasn't going to see Evans, Jett, McCall, and Loe in a SLU uniform again. After we won, I sat there in my apartment with a confused smile on my face for about 30 minutes, still not sure what happened.

A game that probably wouldn`t be in my top 5, but very important game....'95 tournament game against Minnesota , can`t remember exactly how much we were leading by, I am thinking it must have been 3, was the longest end to a game, seemed like the last 15 seconds took forever, Minnesota kept putting up 3's getting the rebound kicked it out and put up another, another and another. We prevailed and was the first tournament win since '57??

In '93 think the Bills just became ranked ( #18 maybe) came to KC to play UMKC at Municipal Auditorium ( we lived in KC at the time). A large group of Bills fans were there. A lady gave a my young daughter a plastic Spoon , most of the section had plastic spoons. Also when we beat KU on Robertson day, has made a bet with a KU fan, and he had to where a Billiken shirt all day and tell what a Billiken was.

Great memory...we actually road tripped to this game as well as the DePaul game during the 14-0 start that year. I think it was about -20 below with windchill in Chicago that weekend and then snowed like mad the next day making the drive home take about 6+ hours. Got back just in time to watch Joe Montana and the Chiefs topple Warren Moon and my Oilers.

My top 5 (in person only):

1) Columbus - first time back in the dance since 2000 and got to spend it with my Dad. Glorious weather, St. Patty's weekend, Backhand getting in a verbal sparring match right behind us with MSU Fans during the Memphis game. Weekend can't be topped (yet).

2) NC State - just happen to luck out that we were in West Palm for Spring Break and made the drive up to the game...sat center court and couldn't believe what I was watching. Extended the trip so we could watch Louisville 2 days later with my 2 1/2 year old...even that loss couldn't dampen the afterglow.

3) Beating Butler at Hinkle - another road trip with my pops. First time at that building and got to see an amazing game with a ton of rabid Billiken fans who screamed the entire game. What a special team.

4) Miracle in Memphis - after the UC win, I hopped a flight and was in the air for the Tulane game (not sure what I would have done it we lost that one). Arrived in Memphis and proceeded to live it up that night. Was one of the 2000+ (maybe) in the Pyramid that afternoon. Flight delayed on the way home so we drove back and went straight to Humps to continue the celebration

5) The SIU game at the Arena...Spoonball officially arrived that night

The '93 SIU game at the Arena was probably the beginning of my love for SLU. I moved here in '90 and had been to a couple of games a year before then. My Dad was coming up from Texas, so I got us tickets to the game. It was crazy, we sat way up in a corner. He couldn't believe the crowd. The first year in Savvis (which I believe was the following year) was my first year of season tickets. Been hooked ever since.