Top 5 Billiken Mens Basketball Memories

CBFan

I really enjoyed the Humphrey's thread. The comments were fun to read and learn about what students did for entertainment while attending SLU. I hope some of you will share their top 5 men's basketball memories.

1. April 30, 2007 Rick Majerus is introduced as the new head coach. I did not believe it until coach Majerus was formerly introduced. To the sports commentators that mock this site about wanting the likes of coach Izzo as a coach, what is your opinion of coach Majerus? I guess the same sports commentator would have mocked the site for the mention of Rick Majerus as potential coach for SLU. Rest in peace coach, job well done.
  2. March 17, 2013 Billikens top VCU to win the A10 tournament. My avatar is a picture of Dwayne Evans looking at the piece of net he had just cut down. What a great feeling for the body of work that team had accomplished that season. Dwayne’s smile with the piece of net in his hand was great to see from a serious player.
  3. March 11, 2000 Billikens win the conference USA title. Only a few teams have won conference tournaments playing 4 games in 4 days. Coach Romar did a nice job with this team keeping them together and winning that tournament. I remember seeing the Drew Diener dance on TV, holding his nose and moving up and down, as the team was celebrating.
  4. February 13, 2003 Marque Perry scores 25 points and scores the game winning layup with 3.2 seconds to beat the second ranked Louisville that had won 17 straight in conference play. I was listening to the game and I will never ever forget Earl Austin’s reaction and sounds of joy he was making, priceless.
  5. 1992 Charlie Spoonhour is hired as the SLU basketball coach. Similar to the feeling I had when coach Majerus was hired I felt Charlie would get SLU to the NCAA tournament. I enjoyed listening to his radio show with Jack Buck as the host. Coach Spoonhour reminded me of Whitey Herzog. I would love to listen to the coach’s stories and his knowledge of the game. Rest in peace coach, you were a lot of fun.

1. The Columbus Weekend - truly, if we never get to experience another weekend like that, I'd be sad, but man, what a time to be alive.

2. Louisville 2003 and the five or six day bender that ensued (could also be in the Humphrey's thread).

3. Downing the Eagles of Boston College in the first true home test at the Fetz - what a great atmosphere!

4. Zipping up X in 2012 at the Fetz - one of many Billiken Blizzard nights that froze out the Musketeers!

5. "The Comeback" against N.C. State - was watching in an Admirals Club at DFW and answered at least ten "what's a Billiken" queries that day.

1)Seeing the curtain come down in the old barn (Checkerdome, Arena, or whatever it was called then)-followed by 20,000 fans filling the place up; followed by beating Huggins and Cincinnati; 2) beating Illinois at the Edward Jones or TWA Dome;3) beating Ohio State on New Years Eve at the old Kiel (goes back to the 60's); 4)watching Jordair switch hands in midair, hair flying, as he finishes a drive (usually to win the game) as the clock winds down. There are many more, but these are what immediately come to mind

Bookend wins against Memphis - beating the vaunted City Blocks in 1986-87 at the old Kiel and watching RM coach circles around Pastner in the tournament in 2011-2012. Larry Hughes lighting up Vanderbilt as their bench screamed overrated at him. Beating Missouri under Romar (1999-2000). The beautiful gritty basketball the 2011- 2012 team played. Justin Love's coming out party against KU, Christmas 1998. Being nationally relevant thanks to coach Majerus. Too many to choose just 5.

Also sticking with games I attended in person

1) Beating Butler at Hinkle: The few hundred Billiken fans there made more noise than the Butler fans. The energy on the bus ride home was unbelievable.

2) Storming the court against Butler at home: The crowd was deafening the entire night. I had jealously watched college kids storm the court for years, but actually getting to do it was way better than I could have imagined.

3) Washington game: the first big game of my freshman year. A big reason I chose SLU (apart from a great, faith-based education) was that I thought the basketball team would be great. This solidified those hopes and was the start of something special.

4) Hammering VCU at home (2013): HEEEEEEEYYYYYY, HEY SHAKA! WE WANNA KNOOOOOOW, WHERE DID HAVOC GO?

5) Cutting down the nets at home: Just an awesome moment to be able to watch that team celebrate the conference title in person.

In no particular order:

- Kwamain's 30-foot bank shot against Dayton.

- Conklin Smash!

- Tommie Liddell teabagging a GW dude while dunking.

- Steve Alford getting tossed during the New Year's Eve win against New Mexico.

- Knights Inn!

Since it's not been mentioned yet:

1) The NC State comeback. I don't care if it was only a 12 seed, or in the middle of a really frustrating stretch. It is the closest thing to a David Freese moment the Billikens are ever likely to get. Will always be #1 for me, at least until a Sweet 16.

Anthony Bonner scores 45, I think it was in 1990:
"Superman showed up in person Thursday night at the Rosemont Horizon, and he singlehandedly beat Loyola 102-86 in overtime. Anthony Bonner scored a school-record 45 points for St. Louis, including 24 Billiken points in a row late in regulation time and in overtime. That carried the Billikens from a 75-65 deficit to an 84-84 standoff after 40 minutes and into an 89-85 lead in overtime. The 6-foot-8-inch, 215-pound Bonner then relaxed and allowed teammates to run up the score in the Midwestern Collegiate Conference matchup."

I listened to this game on the radio and it was unbelievable. A game most players can only dream of having. I would love to hear it again.

Anthony Bonner scores 45, I think it was in 1990:

"Superman showed up in person Thursday night at the Rosemont Horizon, and he singlehandedly beat Loyola 102-86 in overtime. Anthony Bonner scored a school-record 45 points for St. Louis, including 24 Billiken points in a row late in regulation time and in overtime. That carried the Billikens from a 75-65 deficit to an 84-84 standoff after 40 minutes and into an 89-85 lead in overtime. The 6-foot-8-inch, 215-pound Bonner then relaxed and allowed teammates to run up the score in the Midwestern Collegiate Conference matchup."

I listened to this game on the radio and it was unbelievable. A game most players can only dream of having. I would love to hear it again.

I remember listening to this game to. Rammer and Claiborne on the call.

These are just personal memories and I remember the games I was at more. The Memphis NCAA tourney game I remember having the most passion over during the game from afar.

Feb 4th, 1985 Bills beat Ok City 80-51. It was probably the best they played in a terrible season (a week earlier they kept it close to a good ND team on the road) but OK City was even more terrible that year. The reason it was memorable though was it was so sparsely attended (Monday night) that after an airball on the non-student/non-stage side of the court the ball bounced over most of the chairs hit the rail outlining the hockey footprint (and the permanent seats) and then caromed under the temporary seat platform. The game was delayed while I ran over, crawled on my belly to fish the ball out and returned the ball to the officials to light applause and TV cameras (OK city actually had a crew there for that game).

Nov. 30th, 2002 Bills beat Bonnies in Rochester (add a Jack Benny impression) 56-54. It was memorable for a few reasons. Chris Sloan makes a steal and a late dash for a winning layup right in front of me (replays show I was up and cheering before the ball left Chris's hands). He was hammered and missed but makes the FTs for the comeback win. How I got the tickets was memorable; despite the "greatness" of Bonnies fans I was able to purchase courtside seats across from the benches. When I arrive at the game they said there had been a "mistake" and that the courtside seats were for Bonnie boosters. I did not feel like make a big stink but they offered me two seats right under one of the baskets so I took it. It was also the first Billiken game with my wife.

5. Watching Anthony Bonner and the Bills play in the NIT at Kiel Center with my father when I was a kid. Our seats were in the very top row. It's where my love of the Billikens began.

4. The Bills beating ranked Butler at home. My profile pic is the view from my seats as the students stormed the court.

3. Road trip I took with three other guys in approx. 1995 to see the Bills play Memphis (St.) at the Pyramid. Drove there in the morning and drove back after the game. We crammed about three days of stuff into one day. The Bill tied the game with seconds left on a half court shot, but lost in overtime. Two of our guys mooned the Pyramid and the Memphis fans out the side windows as we drove away.

2. Beating Butler at Hinkle Field House. Went with seven friends this time. Like a previous poster said, there were several hundred Billiken fans there. Whole weekend was a blast, including trying the shrimp cocktail at St. Elmo's.

1. Columbus weekend. Went with my father and my 9 year old son. Amazing memory. My father passed away a year and a half later. So glad we took that trip.

So excited that the next batch of great Billiken memories seems to be on the way.

1. Beating Denny Crum and the Louisville Cardinals, at home, followed by celebrations outside watching Crum get into the Louisville bus prior to more celebrating at Humphries. We beat my childhood coaching icon.

2. Watching the banner removing the additional seats in the upper deck -- the fans finally came in droves.

3. Early beginnings of Spoonball (his announcement of being hired, the pre-season promotions, the billboards, the sticker on my rear window... Thank you Saint Rich for saving the program which was about to increase by several steps.

4. Larry Hughes single handedly beating Marquette - he was one of kind. I watched no one better.

5. Rick Majerus hiring culminated with the first half against Washington and Romar -- best basketball I have even seen the Bills play.

A few more good ones:

Bills take down Luc Longley and New Mexico at the Pit in the NIT

Soderberg over Pitino's No. 2 Louisville squad

Drejaj's NIT buzzer-beater

Ruining Dayton's senior night in 2011

Any number of Marque Perry and Jordair Jett buzzer-beaters

Underrated:

Cody Ellis going ape-shite against St. Joe's

The Matt Dickey game

Bills take down Luc Longley and New Mexico at the Pit in the NIT

I had forgotten we were down by 20 at halftime in that one:

Roland Gray scored with 12 seconds remaining, and Charles Newberry stole the ball twice in the closing seconds as St. Louis beat New Mexico, 66-65, at Albuquerque, N.M., Thursday night to advance to the semifinals of the National Invitation Tournament.

Gray scored 34 points--21 in the second half--for the Billikens (26-9), who overcame a 20-point halftime deficit. St. Louis will play Michigan State (18-13) Monday night at New York's Madison Square Garden.

For New Mexico (22-11), it was the second straight year they had lost in the NIT quarter-finals.

The Lobos had a chance to take a three-point lead with less than 20 seconds left, but Newberry stole the ball from Willie Banks in the corner and got the ball to Gray under the basket.

Not sure why I forgot that one. I was there for it. I knew some SLU people who were sitting pretty far away--kept virtually high-fiving across the Bradley Center.

4. Larry Hughes single handedly beating Marquette - he was one of kind. I watched no one better.

These are just personal memories and I remember the games I was at more. The Memphis NCAA tourney game I remember having the most passion over during the game from afar.

Feb 4th, 1985 Bills beat Ok City 80-51. It was probably the best they played in a terrible season (a week earlier they kept it close to a good ND team on the road) but OK City was even more terrible that year. The reason it was memorable though was it was so sparsely attended (Monday night) that after an airball on the non-student/non-stage side of the court the ball bounced over most of the chairs hit the rail outlining the hockey footprint (and the permanent seats) and then caromed under the temporary seat platform. The game was delayed while I ran over, crawled on my belly to fish the ball out and returned the ball to the officials to light applause and TV cameras (OK city actually had a crew there for that game).

Nov. 30th, 2002 Bills beat Bonnies in Rochester (add a Jack Benny impression) 56-54. It was memorable for a few reasons. Chris Sloan makes a steal and a late dash for a winning layup right in front of me (replays show I was up and cheering before the ball left Chris's hands). He was hammered and missed but makes the FTs for the comeback win. How I got the tickets was memorable; despite the "greatness" of Bonnies fans I was able to purchase courtside seats across from the benches. When I arrive at the game they said there had been a "mistake" and that the courtside seats were for Bonnie boosters. I did not feel like make a big stink but they offered me two seats right under one of the baskets so I took it. It was also the first Billiken game with my wife.

good ones' Glad we can afford more than one ball these days

1. OT win vs dayton on Mardi Gras

2. The last 8 min of the NC state game

3. Win over Memphis in 1st round

4.Taking the lead vs Louisville in the 2nd half, if i recall we didn't make a single 3 that game. Crazy to think about what could have been if we were remotely on that day.

5. Blowing out VCU at home

6. David Freese's triple to tie the game

6a Lance Berkman's single to tie the game again

6b Freese's HR to win the game

7. Mike Jones tackle on Kevin Dyson to seal the SB win