Humphrey's

Yes, steak place still there. I understand menu unchanged. I always thought the potato was better than the steak. We went to Fox recently and they were open: we opted for pre show cuisine at Lucha's "fine Mexican dining with no atmosphere" usually it is just the opposite. I was hoping for Italian. Wasn't Lucha the godfather's hit man?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great times at 20 North! However, my favorite departed place at SLU is not a bar, it is the fabulous Flaco's Tacos. It wasn't there when I was going to school (it was the sketchy Steak and Egg Kitchen then) but man I had me many a pescado ultimo burrito there. I can still taste them now- so good.

Yes! And then it had another name briefly before Talayna's. It was dumb looking, like a comic sans font over a hockey stick and had a really bad name.

But it was definitely Shmiezing's when I was a kid. I remember the sign.

After Schmiezing's it was renamed Mike's Place. Pretty much the same setup as Schmiezing's with a dumb name. In its last couple of years it tried to be a night club on the weekends.

Since I lived down the street at the time, I went there a lot. I also remember when Talayna's first opened in that spot in late 2002. It tried to do regular hours and had a full dinner menu at the time. I remember thinking how strange and off-putting the neon lights and wannabe Rat Pack vibe was.

Another thing that was off-putting was Mike Talayna hung out in the place a bunch in those early days. I'm sure there are some on this board that remember him. Imagine being in a large, nearly empty bar stuck talking to him while he skeeves on your girlfriend.

Getting back to talk about the Landing, why no mention of Sundeckers, the Landing with the only 3 am liquor license. We would close down Clarks and Humphries before heading down to the Deck, large draft beer cups and listen to one of two different 1 man bands.

How about Al Hrabowskis ballpark saloon? A wretched hive of scum and villainy if there ever was one.

Nah.... when the Drake Apartments put a keg in the middle of the courtyard.... that was a wretched hive

Getting back to talk about the Landing, why no mention of Sundeckers, the Landing with the only 3 am liquor license. We would close down Clarks and Humphries before heading down to the Deck, large draft beer cups and listen to one of two different 1 man bands.

I feel like I spent a lot more time at Harpo's than Sundeckers.

Another thing that was off-putting was Mike Talayna hung out in the place a bunch in those early days. I'm sure there are some on this board that remember him. Imagine being in a large, nearly empty bar stuck talking to him while he skeeves on your girlfriend.

True stories: Mike Faille ("Talayna" was a Yiddish form of "Italian") believed that angels and extraterrestrials provided him with winning gambling information. He lost at least one of his restaurants in a poker game.

True stories: Mike Faille ("Talayna" was a Yiddish form of "Italian") believed that angels and extraterrestrials provided him with winning gambling information. He lost at least one of his restaurants in a poker game.

Ami's, right?

Ami's, right?

The one I was thinking of was the one up by Northwest Plaza, but now that you mention it, he may have lost A'mis as well!

He also was the person who started construction on that yellow brick house on Lindell at Des Peres that subsequently sat boarded up for a couple of years. IIRC, our pal Kim Tucci eventually bought it for a song.

PS For those under a certain age, the original Talayna's was at Skinker and Forest Parkway where Kayak's and the WashU PR department are now. Made Rossino's look as sterile as a hospital.

He hung out at the one on Hampton until shortly before he died, just a few years ago.

RIGHT, willie, it got no better than Garavelli's Buffet. Meatball sandwiches, toasted raviolis till the cows come home. Am I right, willie ?

The reuben sandwich at Garavelli's was outstanding. Also recall those nice big potato fries.

I always felt when I walked into Garavelli's (this was back in the early 70's) on a crowded day for lunch, I was entering into some sort time warp back to the 20's or 30's.

PS For those under a certain age, the original Talayna's was at Skinker and Forest Parkway where Kayak's and the WashU PR department are now. Made Rossino's look as sterile as a hospital.

I used to frequent the one on Skinker and Forest Pkwy. Recall many weekend nights during my freshmen year (before many of us had cars) we take the Forest Park Bus up to Talayna's.

Yep. He cornered me a couple of times at the bar and explained how he spoke to aliens.

I used to frequent the one on Skinker and Forest Pkwy. Recall many weekend nights during my freshmen year (before many of us had cars) we take the Forest Park Bus up to Talayna's.

I recall making several trips to Talayna's while taking a break from studying for finals, as you could get a pizza there in all hours of the morning.

It wasn't a bar, but does anybody remember Sloopy's Sub Shop on Olive near Grand?

I want to say it was where the state building currently is.

Had the best lettuce and salad dressing on the subs I have ever had.

Kind of reminds me of Jimmy John's.

I thought the owner's name was Harold?

He had a wife that worked there as well.

It wasn't a bar, but does anybody remember Sloopy's Sub Shop on Olive near Grand?

I want to say it was where the state building currently is.

Had the best lettuce and salad dressing on the subs I have ever had.

Kind of reminds me of Jimmy John's.

I thought the owner's name was Harold?

He had a wife that worked there as well.

Welcome, Tilkowsky. I remember Sloopy's.

Reminds me of two other long-gone neighborhood landmarks, the Mojo and the Mammer Jammer.