Humphrey's

It was at 20 North. When Dan got out of it I think it became the Copper Door for awhile.

I don't know about it being "Deadhead" bar.

The guy who bought the place and made it 20 North was the lead singer of Jake's Leg, a Dead cover band. I don't know whether he bought it because they'd played there before or it became the de facto Deadheadquarters after he bought it.

There's an interesting story about the Biondification of that block floating around on the internet. The place was "blighted" and taken by eminent domain, or at least by threatened eminent domain. The board of aldermen were told a museum would be built there. Uh huh.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loading Zone =20 North = Copper Door. Jake's Leg! Brian Clarke!

I proposed to my wife outside Muddy Waters on the landing. What happened to it?

The main floor was a Show Me's for about 20 years. Basement became a sex shop. Building is vacant now.

Bonwich, Bogarts evenrtually became a Harpo's and the got torn down with Mississippi Nights.

Rossinos on Sarah for those who had any money left after paying for tuition back in the day where people could get construction jobs in summer and pay two semester tuition

Rossino's was the place. In a basement and the toasteds were killer. Plus, a lot of Cards, both football and baseball, were frequent patrons. Great little restaurant.

Long Live Humphrey's.

Bring back Clark's (site of many of BAB and Ms. BAB's early dates), Quincy's (where I watched the epic Game 7 of the '82 World Series), Bogart's, Pastore's, and Caleco's on Laclede.

Clark's was a great venue with the upper deck.

Qu'est-ce que c'est Quincy's? That one doesn't ring a bell.

Qu'est-ce que c'est Quincy's? That one doesn't ring a bell.

Quincy's was a bar on Olive in the vicinity of SLU, near the then Lewis Hall, the former Coronado Hotel. I remember there were curtains there.

I remember being there for Game 7 of the '82 World Series. My SLU Law Roommate was at that Game 7, came back to SLU to pick me up after the victory, and we headed Downtown for the utter bedlam.

The only alternatives at the time you could park in front of the library was Usselman's where a quarter or fifty cents would buy a baloney sandwich and / or chips and not too much more could send you to the grassland around the Forest Park lagoon's with a quart of the local beer.

The guy who bought the place and made it 20 North was the lead singer of Jake's Leg, a Dead cover band. I don't know whether he bought it because they'd played there before or it became the de facto Deadheadquarters after he bought it.

There's an interesting story about the Biondification of that block floating around on the internet. The place was "blighted" and taken by eminent domain, or at least by threatened eminent domain. The board of aldermen were told a museum would be built there. Uh huh.

They (20N) got hosed big time by Fr B, my personal reason for despising him.