Did Brett Jolly just say goodbye?

ARon

17 hours ago, bauman said:

I'm sorry but I have to go back beyond 2000 to include on any "worst" list my all time worst Billiken who I'm sure many of the posters will remember.  It's none other than Sekue Barentine.  I'm not even going to take the time to check on the spelling of his name.  He had hands of stone, making it a 50/50 proposition on his catching a pass and that was the BEST of his skills. 

Sekue was awful. Around the same Spoon recruited a Greek guy named Paul Nondas. He also wasn't any good, then from what I read, Nondas went home to Greece in the summer and was promptly drafted into the Greek Army. At least he wasn't any good, so it wasn't a big loss.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree ACE that there are misses all the time all over the country.  I am guessing that because of our passion of following this particular team, those misses get amplified for no reason other than our fandom.  Plus hype has a lot to do with it as we are constantly fed lines like "the poor man's Larry Hughes" or "best recruiting signing in conference."  Those alone are reason enough to put Ricky Cranford and Tyrone Caswell on the team.  Sekue was an obvious choice.  So too was Jumpin' Justin Johnson.  I don't agree that Husak belongs but there would likely rage a good debate over Polk.  Injuries or not.  Darren Clarke.  Floyd McClain.  Obi.  Horace.  Va'shun.  Chip Entwhistle.  Ross Varner.  John Manning.  Anthony Jones.  Grawer's trefecta of "top ranked JUCO players" Manual,Tadysak and Ivester.  JJ Halliburton.  Randy Pulley.  Latimore.  Seyfert.  Every player recruited by Crewsplatt after passes for Agbeko and Crawford with open cards yet onthose who remain.  Yarbrough no --- kid had talent,just no brain.

Rick was not immune either ---- Thompson, Cotto, Reid, Tselentakis, Salescich, Smith --- maybe not on all-worst team but hovering.  

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I agree ACE that there are misses all the time all over the country.  I am guessing that because of our passion of following this particular team, those misses get amplified for no reason other than our fandom.  Plus hype has a lot to do with it as we are constantly fed lines like "the poor man's Larry Hughes" or "best recruiting signing in conference."  Those alone are reason enough to put Ricky Cranford and Tyrone Caswell on the team.  Sekue was an obvious choice.  So too was Jumpin' Justin Johnson.  I don't agree that Husak belongs but there would likely rage a good debate over Polk.  Injuries or not.  Darren Clarke.  Floyd McClain.  Obi.  Horace.  Va'shun.  Chip Entwhistle.  Ross Varner.  John Manning.  Anthony Jones.  Grawer's trefecta of "top ranked JUCO players" Manual,Tadysak and Ivester.  JJ Halliburton.  Randy Pulley.  Latimore.  Seyfert.  Every player recruited by Crewsplatt after passes for Agbeko and Crawford with open cards yet onthose who remain.  Yarbrough no --- kid had talent,just no brain.

Rick was not immune either ---- Thompson, Cotto, Reid, Tselentakis, Salescich, Smith --- maybe not on all-worst team but hovering.  

Taj.  Good list but for the same reasons you and others mention for Husak, I cannot put Ross Varner and John Manning on the list. Randy Pulley had real talent and contributed but was a head case. Va'Shun was also serviceable. And no, you are correct, Yarbrough had talent, scored 10 ppg as a Frosh, and for about 8 to 10 games there, was our best player on the team.  Even guys like Roby and Bartley, though you and I agree to disagree, have real talent and I believe will improve under a different coach, have already shown me enough to not be put on this list.  And personally, I believe Anthony Jones contributed more than guys like Jeff Gaona but both probably do belong on the list.

Here's another guy:  Greg Hardin.

Maybe a better way to do these lists would be guys that never should have been recruited in the first place. Then you have a second list of looked good as recruits but just never cut it at this level. I'd add guys like Polk, Manning, Malik, Reynolds, Cotto, Thompson, Lancona, Jumpin Justin J, McClain, and Seyfert to that list.

I didn't care for the kid, but how would Milik Yarbrough appear on any of these lists? He was on the A-10 All-Rookie team, that should at least keep him off of any list of recruiting misses as he produced considerably early in his career before moving on (maybe a list of most frustrating players). If you are looking for recruiting misses from the past few teams you need to focus on kids like Jolly, Gillmann, Lancona, Manning, and Bartley (maybe, the book is still open on him) over a guy like Yarbrough. Especially Jolly and Lancona considering they produced nothing in two seasons at SLU and ended up in DII.

There is no good comp to Jolly in recent memory. The guy had 0 legitimate D1 offers. He had limited skills. He put up terrible numbers in high school and prep schools on not great teams. The only thing he had going for him was height. 

This had Jim Platt written all over it. 

25 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

There is no good comp to Jolly in recent memory. The guy had 0 legitimate D1 offers. He had limited skills. He put up terrible numbers in high school and prep schools on not great teams. The only thing he had going for him was height. 

This had Jim Platt written all over it. 

Yeah. At least Reggie and Neufeld had duke phone calls.

The only mention I can find of Jared Drew is he went to Lakeland Junior College.  Unfortunately, you can't go back through the years to see if he played or what he did. A search of Verbal Commits pretty much ends there.  A search of the internet ends there as well.

If anyone is interested, Lancona played 25 games at Point Loma Nazerene, starting 21.  He was third on the team in scoring at about 12 ppg and led the team in rebounding.  Shot like high 40s percentage from three.

Majerus had failures too ---- Thompson, Reid, Cotto, Reed (head case), John (injuries), Salescich, Jordan, Smith, Manning and Glaze.  I don't know who gains credit for Carter and Drew but Carter did okay at Valpo.  Both Barnett and McBroom were less than stellar but not in my failure category.

Crewsplatt failures were more all-encompassing ---- after maybe a "Pass" for Agebko and Crawford (key cogs now but role players for sure), he had Lancona, Reynolds, Yarbrough (head case), and Jolly with incomplete grades still out there on Gillmann, Bartley, Roby, Neufeld, Welmer and Bishop.  Some might argue against Bishop but my question is/was he okay or just the best of a bad bunch?  Moore's performance will be telling as well.

And also Grawer, Spoon, Romar and Sodeberg all had failures as well.  There is not enough space here to go into all that.  It just seem,given my interest and fandom, our rate of failure is higher than normal.  Villanova has "failures" in Yacoubou and Bryant.  Both did okay for us.  Perception I guess.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

The only mention I can find of Jared Drew is he went to Lakeland Junior College.  Unfortunately, you can't go back through the years to see if he played or what he did. A search of Verbal Commits pretty much ends there.  A search of the internet ends there as well.

If anyone is interested, Lancona played 25 games at Point Loma Nazerene, starting 21.  He was third on the team in scoring at about 12 ppg and led the team in rebounding.  Shot like high 40s percentage from three.

Majerus had failures too ---- Thompson, Reid, Cotto, Reed (head case), John (injuries), Salescich, Jordan, Smith, Manning and Glaze.  I don't know who gains credit for Carter and Drew but Carter did okay at Valpo.  Both Barnett and McBroom were less than stellar but not in my failure category.

Crewsplatt failures were more all-encompassing ---- after maybe a "Pass" for Agebko and Crawford (key cogs now but role players for sure), he had Lancona, Reynolds, Yarbrough (head case), and Jolly with incomplete grades still out there on Gillmann, Bartley, Roby, Neufeld, Welmer and Bishop.  Some might argue against Bishop but my question is/was he okay or just the best of a bad bunch?  Moore's performance will be telling as well.

And also Grawer, Spoon, Romar and Sodeberg all had failures as well.  There is not enough space here to go into all that.  It just seem,given my interest and fandom, our rate of failure is higher than normal.  Villanova has "failures" in Yacoubou and Bryant.  Both did okay for us.  Perception I guess.

Jeff Reid had a freak concussion that ended his career. I don't think you can count players with injuries like he and Femi as failures.

22 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Jeff Reid had a freak concussion that ended his career. I don't think you can count players with injuries like he and Femi as failures.

both reid and john played after they left slu.  

The fact they both indeed played college basketball after their "injury" to me seems the disabled excuse 05 used in this discussion wrong and Taj right.   

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

The fact they both indeed played college basketball after their "injury" to me seems the disabled excuse 05 used in this discussion wrong and Taj right.   

The knee injuries really limited John and John actually committed to Brad.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I seem to remember Jeff's concussion being a massive ordeal that he struggled mightily to come back from. I believe he transferred back home to help make bid recovery easier.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

you are reaching.

Reid also quit Washburn because of the concussions. 

John didn't play basketball for THREE YEARS until he gave it one last go at UMSL. 

Let me say that I think neither are "failures" in the truest sense given their injuries ....... in that sense a Floyd McClain also gets a pass as does a Ryan Grant.  Maybe also such a category gives Dwayne Polk the same pass.  Although both he and Anthony Jones, as Missouri High School players of the year, would seem to place their expectations at a higher level.  

In any case,its just speculation and discussion.  Ash Yacoubou's career fell quite short of what normally comes from 4-star players.

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought you were saying they belonged on the list but now think you are saying that they do not. I agree with that point. I was only pointing out that their injuries forced them to play at a lower level not their lack of talent. 

27 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Patiently waiting on broys apology....

i should apologize for your wrong post?  you are as high (and wrong) as you have always been.    

• 4 months later...