Did Brett Jolly just say goodbye?

ARon

I think Willie's dad got in his head and basically said, you don't need college to be in the NBA. I am a little surprised Rick didn't get thru to him more on his academics plus whatever the other reasons were. Have read that it wasn't all academics with Willie.

That said, there is no denying we might have been a real force in 11-12 had we found a way to keep him eligible. Hell, we took #2 seeded MSU right down to the final shot in round 2. I think Willie might have been a difference maker that whole season let alone that one game. In my mind that was probably one of the best teams, if not the best, SLU had ever put on the floor. If Willie had been eligible, we might have been seeded a lot higher than 9. You can call him anything you want, but there's no denying his talent.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wille's issues at SLU weren't all just academics.

It was Willie's great ability on the basketball court that allowed him to make it through his first season. If almost any other player pulled the stuff he did, they would have never made it through their freshman season.

I think Willie's dad got in his head and basically said, you don't need college to be in the NBA. I am a little surprised Rick didn't get thru to him more on his academics plus whatever the other reasons were. Have read that it wasn't all academics with Willie.

That said, there is no denying we might have been a real force in 11-12 had we found a way to keep him eligible. Hell, we took #2 seeded MSU right down to the final shot in round 2. I think Willie might have been a difference maker that whole season let alone that one game. In my mind that was probably one of the best teams, if not the best, SLU had ever put on the floor. If Willie had been eligible, we might have been seeded a lot higher than 9. You can call him anything you want, but there's no denying his talent.

MSU was a 1 seed that year

• 1 month later...

Well, Jolly moves to near the top of my Billiken All-Time Worst Scholarship Team.  I was going to list the members but you need more than 5 spots and I don't think even stopping it at a full roster (13) would do it justice.  The competition for this team seems endless.  Man we have missed a lot!

40 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Well, Jolly moves to near the top of my Billiken All-Time Worst Scholarship Team.  I was going to list the members but you need more than 5 spots and I don't think even stopping it at a full roster (13) would do it justice.  The competition for this team seems endless.  Man we have missed a lot!

Recruiting misses obviously suck when they happen to your team, but they are not unique to SLU. Look around college basketball... they happen all the time, even at very good programs. Talent evaluation is an in-exact science. The NBA draft is always a reminder of how often professional talent evaluators get it wrong. Then imagine how tough it can be for college coaches to project how 16 & 17 year old high school kids will develop in college. Now, having said all that... there is no excuse for BJ. Offering him was questionable then and he lived down to his low expectations.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

24 times Brett Jolly played more than 10 minutes in a game for the Billikens.  He averaged 11 mpg as a freshman.  Headed to D2.  

#crewscontrol

-as the ad used to declare, you've said it all  

4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

A few suggestions. First you should keep it in this millennium, so most of the recent posters can contribute. Like, I don't know a lot about the 80s teams as was pretty much out of touch w/ Billiken hoops. So, if we're starting from 2000, here's some shoo in picks. Jolly, Obi Won, Dixon, Mitchell (not Kwamain, but can't remember his first name. I think he was from Broy's side of the river.), McGuire, Polk, Knollmeyer, Manning and that Greek Guard (sorry Rick, but you can't be right all the time), Lancona, Milik, Reynolds. I'm sure more will be coming from more knowledgeable posters. My criteria were guys that would never compete in CUSA or the A10. Not ready to throw Crewsplatt remaining 3 under the bus just yet, because they're still on the team. But unless they turn it around this season they're gonna make it as well.

I'm sorry but I have to go back beyond 2000 to include on any "worst" list my all time worst Billiken who I'm sure many of the posters will remember.  It's none other than Sekue Barentine.  I'm not even going to take the time to check on the spelling of his name.  He had hands of stone, making it a 50/50 proposition on his catching a pass and that was the BEST of his skills. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

A few suggestions. First you should keep it in this millennium, so most of the recent posters can contribute. Like, I don't know a lot about the 80s teams as was pretty much out of touch w/ Billiken hoops. So, if we're starting from 2000, here's some shoo in picks. Jolly, Obi Won, Dixon, Mitchell (not Kwamain, but can't remember his first name. I think he was from Broy's side of the river.), McGuire, Polk, Knollmeyer, Manning and that Greek Guard (sorry Rick, but you can't be right all the time), Lancona, Milik, Reynolds. I'm sure more will be coming from more knowledgeable posters. My criteria were guys that would never compete in CUSA or the A10. Not ready to throw Crewsplatt remaining 3 under the bus just yet, because they're still on the team. But unless they turn it around this season they're gonna make it as well.

Polk and Manning do not belong on that list.  Polk was the Missouri player of the year. Not his fault he was injuries and never really recovered. Manning while not a great player it is not fair to compare him with Obi and Dixon. 

1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

Husak

Husak wouldn't belong on that list. He played 18 mpg averaging 5.5 ppg and about 4 boards a game plus 1 block his Sr year. With the recruits we've had there's no way he'd be on a team of worst recruits.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

I'm sorry but I have to go back beyond 2000 to include on any "worst" list my all time worst Billiken who I'm sure many of the posters will remember.  It's none other than Sekue Barentine.  I'm not even going to take the time to check on the spelling of his name.  He had hands of stone, making it a 50/50 proposition on his catching a pass and that was the BEST of his skills. 

1 hour ago, bauman said:

I will never forgive Charlie for Sekue. Any decent JC center and we dance.  He could run through. Should have been a track star. 

13 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Charlie thought he had a decent juco center lined, but he backed out at the last minute and Charlie had no plan B. Barentine wasn't even a starter on his juco team. He was their backup center. He was the epitome of lazy recruiting.

Ah, but Sekue was the Texas HS IM hurdles champ in his school's division.  Too bad there were no 'sticks' on the basketball floor.