Did Brett Jolly just say goodbye?

ARon

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy Brehmer has to be in the conversation.

Ron Coleman. Hands down. Lost to UMSL at home as part of his one-and-only season, 7-20. Sure, Ekker lost to McKendree (the highlight of BRoy's time at SLU ;) ), but for a missed shot (Carlos Martinez, if memory serves), he would have upset SPUMAC at the Arena/Echodome.

And if we're going to throw them all on the table, Randy Albright-spelled-Albrecht gave 'em both a run for their money.

I will bet that the 75 percent of the posters you tried to insult will be making more money at age 40 than Willie.

"tried to insult"? Really? I merely pointed out that since Willie earned nearly $1million this year, he made far more than, probably, all of us. Pretty good for a fool.

I didn't like it when he left SLU either, but I'm not bitter. Evidently, he realized that he wasn't on track to get accepted to SLU's School of Dentistry, so he decided to concentrate on basketball full-time. The guy wasn't a 4 or 5 star recruit. I don't recall much demand for his services from other schools. He benefitted greatly from Majerus' tutelage, for which he has expressed gratitude. Many here laughed at his chances to ever make the NBA, but the guy worked extremely hard, and made it, for at least one year, which is light years better than 99.9% of basketball players. Based on all the evidence that I've seen, he's a quality guy.

So, what's the wager? A more accurate measure will be Willie's net worth at age 40 vs. 75% of the posters. I'll put $1000.00 on Willie. Get back to me in 15 years with your cash.

"tried to insult"? Really? I merely pointed out that since Willie earned nearly $1million this year, he made far more than, probably, all of us. Pretty good for a fool.

I didn't like it when he left SLU either, but I'm not bitter. Evidently, he realized that he wasn't on track to get accepted to SLU's School of Dentistry, so he decided to concentrate on basketball full-time. The guy wasn't a 4 or 5 star recruit. I don't recall much demand for his services from other schools. He benefitted greatly from Majerus' tutelage, for which he has expressed gratitude. Many here laughed at his chances to ever make the NBA, but the guy worked extremely hard, and made it, for at least one year, which is light years better than 99.9% of basketball players. Based on all the evidence that I've seen, he's a quality guy.

So, what's the wager? A more accurate measure will be Willie's net worth at age 40 vs. 75% of the posters. I'll put $1000.00 on Willie. Get back to me in 15 years with your cash.

You don't get it though. Willie was nothing short of a pain in the ass his entire time at SLU. He was already going to be academically ineligible when the situation happened. He got away with a lot of shananigans during his short time here. Now let me be clear - Willie isn't a bad guy per se. He's was extremely immature while at SLU and has grown up these last few years. But it isn't hard to figure out why some people view him as a fool or idiot. Everyone around the program viewed him in the same light when he was here.

crews is hands down the worst coach ever. he was the only one that walked in on a tip top lineup and then threw it all in the toilet with bad recruiting and bad coaching. to screw that up is undefensiable.

It is interesting how people's personalities manifest themselves. The glass 50% full vs 50% empty, the people looking ahead to a bright future, and the people looking back to the depths of poor performance and who was worst.

I know it is the mid season and most have nothing else to talk about, but is it not time to stop reviewing how bad we have been, how terrible a coach Crews was, how stupid Willie was or is, or how much money Willie has made and how this amount makes most in this board look like peons? Willie's possible stupidity and poor judgment as well as his money is his own business. The Bills finally got a coach that can get high ranking players into the team, a coach that can talk like a news anchor in front of a camera, and who has been a frequent visitor to the NCAA tournaments. Why waste our time and effort on some pimples in our past like Crews? These people from our past are gone, and may they have a great life and future doing whatever they do or are going to do. Can we just try to look at the glass half full and get over the half empty part?

Crews wasn't a pimple, more like a puss filled big domed boil. Broy may be right in his assessment in that coming off 3 straight proms and titles, he drove the bus right off the cliff with his own players. Not sure any program has ever endured such a disastrous fall.

Really, to prove your point that he is not a fool you tried the logic of making more money but you are confused by god given athletic ability and height gave Willie his chance in spite of Willie's bad decisions. You insulted by pointing out that 75 percent of the posters do not make Willies money so the ones calling him a fool should shut up because they do not have the financial status to make such claims so we are somehow worse in your mind. I like your straw man argument about the school of dentistry as if that was the only good degree at SLU that Willie could get that was worth anything. You are also confused about how many posters felt about Willie's chances for the NBA, I believe most like myself felt he was blessed with the talent, not just you. Also this site has followed Willie's career and posters have been cheering for NBA success only to be confused by Willie's decisions. Willie sat out his senior season in high school and that may have hurt his recruiting status. I guess if you have nothing else you put up a wager. I am a middle class person that invests and those that are like me are building net worth by doing so and I am pretty confident when I passed 40 many years ago that Willie will not have that much net worth and that is a shame because he has made a lot more than I have. I hope I am wrong about Willie, that Willie makes better decisions and builds a large net worth and lives well.

I guess if you have nothing else you put up a wager. I am a middle class person that invests and those that are like me are building net worth by doing so and I am pretty confident when I passed 40 many years ago that Willie will not have that much net worth and that is a shame because he has made a lot more than I have.

I believe you were the one who wanted to bet? Just make sure you have at least $1000 of that net worth left in 15 years. I'll be coming for my money.

Willie Reed is not a fool.

He was screwed over by SLU administration as a result of "the Situation", and he also couldn't cut it, academically. Is everybody that flunks out of SLU a fool?

Willie Reed has demonstrated an admirable work ethic; toiling several years in the minor leagues to finally make it to the NBA. By all accounts, he's a very hard worker, and a devoted family man. I, for one, hold him in very high regard as one of my top-10 favorite Billikens of all time.

By the way, Willie's annual salary right now is about 10 times more than 75% of the people that post here- not bad for a fool.

It's completely foolish to call Willie Reed a fool

Willie Reed was treated no worse than KM who left, worked hard on his grades, returned to the team and helped us become two of the best Billiken teams in years. Even without The Situation, Willie Reed was not going to play that Fall (or probably ever) due to poor grades having been put on academic probation his Freshman year. Then, when he gave up (academically) that Spring, Willie was done with college basketball. Had The Situation not happened at all or had Willie been treated better, then yes, it is possible, that Willie would have given more effort in the classroom that Spring but there is nothing to suggest based upon WR's efforts (or lack thereof) in high school and as a SLU Freshman that WR would have done any better that Fall when he was kicked out of SLU than he did a few months later when he re-enrolled for the Spring semester and then failed out. WR dropped out of a real high school in KC, went to small "basketball factory" which lost its accreditation (a huge red flag that WR was not interested in academics), couldn't play his Senior year in high school b/c of academics (or the lack thereof) and so Willie made a whole series of bad decisions (academically) long before SLU. As such, it is hard to say that WR's academic issues were b/c of The Situation or that SLU administration screwed WR because of The Situation. Should the SLU administration have handled it differently and better? Yes. Would Pestello have handled it better than Biondi? Yes. But bad things happened that night and SLU basketball players made some bad decisions and did deserve some form or type of punishment. Student conduct and behavior is, and should be, different than the criminal justice system.

But, yes, anyone who makes a series of bad decisions over 3 years in high school at 3 different places, who fails in the classroom his Freshman year at SLU, who apparently had been given multiple second chances by SLU for other behavior issues and then who quits academically is definitely termed a "fool". Not a rotten, terrible human being.... but, yes, a fool.

And BTW, there are many other guys who could, and I suggest should, be in your Top 10 favorite Billikens of all time.

Jeez.

Reed has always had the body and talent to not gibe a f#$! About school.

What was foolish was posting an implied diss on the people responsible for whether you make 1 million or not.

Reed knows it, and thats why the comment was deleted and replaced with explanation

Being obsessed with Reed's SLU time is bitter. I suggest you lookat his NBA tenure instead.

Willie's had some bad luck, too. He got screwed in high school by going to that sham charter school and losing some eligibility - not to mention getting zero education while he was there. I don't know who nudged him in that direction, but it's hard to blame a 16-year-old who thinks he's helping position himself better for D-I basketball. Plus, of all the dudes involved in the Situation, he seemed like the least involved. So in addition to a bad choice here and there, he's had some bad breaks.

There's no denying he was a great player for us, and had the potential to be an all-time great. I'm sad it didn't work out for him here and wish we'd had him for another season or two. I'd love to see his NBA career keep going.

There's a guy on an NBA roster who has "Saint Louis" listed next to "College."

We should all be rooting for him.

Exactly this. Additionally Willie doesn't seem to harbor any ill will toward SLU over the way things ended up. His tweets indicate he is still proud of his time in a Billiken uniform and roots for the team.

A very long and productive NBA career for Willie is a good thing for SLU.

Exactly this. Additionally Willie doesn't seem to harbor any ill will toward SLU over the way things ended up. His tweets indicate he is still proud of his time in a Billiken uniform and roots for the team.

A very long and productive NBA career for Willie is a good thing for SLU.

I am a big fan of Willie. I think he makes some questionable decisions, but they generally seem pure of heart. Some people do not have the academic talent to succeed at a place like SLU; in fact, it is easy to argue most people do not. His role in the situation was peripheral, and he has suffered for it. I believe he learned something from it, and now by all accounts has a very loving and positive relationship with his wife and children.

Willie always worked hard on the game of basketball, and clearly cared about winning and improving. That is how I choose to judge SLU's players, and Willie definitely measures up.

There's a guy on an NBA roster who has "Saint Louis" listed next to "College."

We should all be rooting for him.

Exactly. He's still representing.

I'm glad that he's recognized the issues with the comments he made.. heres hoping he learned and the Nets will give him another shot to eat some minutes.