Did Brett Jolly just say goodbye?

ARon

Jolly was a complete embarrassment as a player both in his complete lack of ability to play at this level and his bush league antics. The kid should have never been at SLU, so that is not his fault. I am just glad that he is no longer a Billiken. He did get it pretty bad from this board, but welcome to big time college athletics and fan message boards.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Jolly worse than Manning? Worse than the 7 footer that RM ran off and went to Lindenwood? Worse than Bryce Husak? Worse than Justin Johnson? Worse than Sekue Barentine? Worse than Eric Jones? Worse than Travis Tadisak or Mike Ivester? Worse than Tyrone Caswell? Worse than Reddit Hudson or Dale Renkin?

Pretty much yes

Take offense or not. Rip me personally if that will make you feel better. But I can honestly say that I was embarrassed to be a Billiken fan and a member of this Board with all of the "over the top" comments made against Brett Jolly. The immature, and flat out rude, comments came long before Jolly did anything good or bad on the court. Instead, the wash basin comments came long before he even announced he was coming to the Bills. After his Senior year and we did not sign him thinking he would go elsewhere, the negative comments came over and over on this Board. Then, some (but not all) may have felt bad after Jolly accepted a scholarship during his year of prep school. Some gave him a fresh start but most did not. Initially, he did some good things and appeared ahead of Gillmann especially on defense.and several wanted to take back their negative comments. Then, over time, the flaws in Jolly's game became obvious and apparent and the insults resumed heavily. Then, after he showed emotion on the floor at officials (at least he showed emotion as opposed to quitting like others did), the insults came fast and furious and his emotion was that of being a whiner and bad kid. Frustration for the bad season, bad coaching, bad players and the fall from being a Top 10 program to a Top 280 program seemed to fall upon Brett. For Jolly's sake, I am glad he gets a fresh start elsewhere.

Was Jolly worse than Manning? Worse than the 7 footer that RM ran off and went to Lindenwood? Worse than Bryce Husak? Worse than Justin Johnson? Worse than Sekue Barentine? Worse than Eric Jones? Worse than Travis Tadisak or Mike Ivester? Worse than Tyrone Caswell? Worse than Reddit Hudson or Dale Renkin? Please. We have had alot of bad players over the years. Some kids work out and others don't. But the blame belongs on Crews and Platt as opposed to Jolly. I can sure say that no received the wrath that Brett Jolly did.

Reddit Hudson was pretty good.

Jolly was a complete embarrassment as a player both in his complete lack of ability to play at this level and his bush league antics. The kid should have never been at SLU, so that is not his fault. I am just glad that he is no longer a Billiken. He did get it pretty bad from this board, but welcome to big time college athletics and fan message boards.

You are wildly exaggerating

I think I summarized the issue in my Crews/Platt recruiting combo tandem comment. Coming off the zenith of Billiken basketball, they rewarded us with guys like Lancona, Agbeko, Crawford, Hines, Yarbrough, Reynolds, Roby, Bartley, Gillmann, Jolly and Moore. You can argue maybe two or three role players at best, but you'll have to have some deeper gist to justify much more than that.

Unfortunately, for guys like Jolly and Yarbrough and Reynolds, because they play and become the living proof of the Crews/Platt reaches, they endure the burden of the scorn and blame as the program now reaches new levels of lows. Much like the QB gets too much blame for losing and too much acclaim for winning, the guys in the public eye get the same treatment here. You accept that possibility in exchange for the free ride. I am sure not a single one of them thought they'd ever lose a college game when they came here (well, maybe a few) but so it goes. Crews/Platt completely flunked on what they were doing. Jim Crews name can now be famously associated with the program just like Ekker's is.

What hurts more is Ekker took a dark ages program and made it even darker. Crews stood on the mountaintop with what Majerus had wrought and dropped just as low as Ekker, only covering much more altitude loss than Ekker did in his process.

A big part of my problem with Jolly was the whining at refs and talking trash with opponents. You shouldn't do it, especially when you are that bad. One of Crews' many failings was not punching him in the Indiana State game. Believe it or not, Jolly was reportedly offered by Colorado... not a great program, but still. Obi and Horace the only two I can think of that were worse, but I don't go back as far as some guys on the board who have named others.

You are wildly exaggerating

I don't think I am, but who cares. At this point there is no need for me to pile on the kid any more. I am sympathetic to him being dealt a tough blow by Ford since he will certainly end up at a much lower level assuming he continues pursuing basketball.

I think I summarized the issue in my Crews/Platt recruiting combo tandem comment. Coming off the zenith of Billiken basketball, they rewarded us with guys like Lancona, Agbeko, Crawford, Hines, Yarbrough, Reynolds, Roby, Bartley, Gillmann, Jolly and Moore. You can argue maybe two or three role players at best, but you'll have to have some deeper gist to justify much more than that.

Unfortunately, for guys like Jolly and Yarbrough and Reynolds, because they play and become the living proof of the Crews/Platt reaches, they endure the burden of the scorn and blame as the program now reaches new levels of lows. Much like the QB gets too much blame for losing and too much acclaim for winning, the guys in the public eye get the same treatment here. You accept that possibility in exchange for the free ride. I am sure not a single one of them thought they'd ever lose a college game when they came here (well, maybe a few) but so it goes. Crews/Platt completely flunked on what they were doing. Jim Crews name can now be famously associated with the program just like Ekker's is.

What hurts more is Ekker took a dark ages program and made it even darker. Crews stood on the mountaintop with what Majerus had wrought and dropped just as low as Ekker, only covering much more altitude loss than Ekker did in his process.

I really think Crawford when healthy could have been a starter for us on a good team. His ability to pass, move and hit an open three within a structured offence with a team that had an inside game would have been wonderful to see. I think RM would have gotten a lot out of him and he would have improved his defense with RM precision coaching. He lacks the athleticism of a lot of players, but his heart and intellect would have been valuable on the precision offence with an inside outside game. He sadly has been the victim of a poorly coached team with too many lineup changes, no inside game and too few weapons.

I don't think I am, but who cares. At this point there is no need for me to pile on the kid any more. I am sympathetic to him being dealt a tough blow by Ford since he will certainly end up at a much lower level assuming he continues pursuing basketball.

You have piled on him this much already why not continue?

Comparing guys from different eras is a really tough thing to do. Role players today are actually better than some of our better guys from years ago. Julius Erving did things which were revolutionary back then (1970's) but now which are done by high school kids. And no, not trying to pick on Reddit Hudson who was decent (not great) for us in the early 1980's and who relatively was not the worst on his teams. At the same time, he was a skinny 6'7" inch guy playing center for us in the old Midwestern Cities Conference against the likes of Jim Crew's Evansville Team, Oral Roberts, etc. All I am saying is that Jolly was not the worst guy to ever put on a Billiken uniform. Trust me, I have seen alot of bad players.

All I am saying is that Jolly was not the worst guy to ever put on a Billiken uniform. Trust me, I have seen alot of bad players.

i disagree. worst i can remember and i go back to the ekker days.