• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/22/2017 at 1:09 PM, Pistol said:

We offered one of those who visited today. Another pretty interesting kid:

Joe Girard - SG, 6-1, 170 - Glens Falls, NY (Glens Falls) - Twitter: @JG3_____

Offers: SLU, GW, Penn State, Washington, Tulane, BYU, Vermont, Albany, Siena, Marist, High Point.

Interest: UMass, Fordham, Villanova, St. John's, Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Michigan.

Latest News: Girard picked up an offer from SLU on an unofficial visit before the Nike EYBL event in June. (6/22/17)

Scouting Report: Girard is an extremely high-volume scorer, averaging 36 points as a sophomore and already eclipsing the 2,000-point mark in his HS career, which has two years left. He's an elite shooter, with a quick release and smooth stroke, and is considered one of the best shooters in the country. He's got work to do handling the ball and on the defensive end. He's also on the small side for a shooting guard, so developing a point guard skill set would go a long way. It helps that he's an all-around athlete, having played QB and CB for his HS football team and leading them to a state title and perfect season. He's from the same small town as Jimmer Fredette and can't escape the comparison.

This kid sounds like Travis Ford, 30 years later.  Who better to coach him?

This camp seems like a very smart move by the program.  One of our best selling points right now is the Fetz.  Get these kids in here and accustomed to our facilities.  Then, when they head elsewhere for a visit and see facilities that don't match up to the Fetz, they may question whether they want to go to that other school.  Also, they've already had exposure to our coaching staff at these "unofficial" visits.  I know it might not send high level recruits our way in droves, but its a smart move.

42 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

This camp seems like a very smart move by the program.

What camp are you referring to?

If you are referring to the Nike camp, SLU has been the host for various Nike camps going back to when I was in school back in the early 2000s. The Eagles were the primary organizer along with folks from the rec center and Nike (I worked at these for a few years while in school). I don't think it is a program decision to host these. The camps take place in the rec center with the players staying in the dorms. I am glad to see the current coaching staff taking advantage of having these kids on campus though. 

Someone still makes a decision to host the camp.  SLU doesn't have to allow the camp to take place on its campus.  Someone at SLU makes that decision.  Obviously, Coach Ford is taking advantage of the fact that the camp is at SLU to show off the facilities.  Also, are you sure that the camp doesn't take place at Chaifetz?  I honestly don't know.  Either way, the decision to host the camp, or continuing to host the camp, is a good one.

12 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Someone still makes a decision to host the camp.  SLU doesn't have to allow the camp to take place on its campus.  Someone at SLU makes that decision.  Obviously, Coach Ford is taking advantage of the fact that the camp is at SLU to show off the facilities.  Also, are you sure that the camp doesn't take place at Chaifetz?  I honestly don't know.  Either way, the decision to host the camp, or continuing to host the camp, is a good one.

They host it at the Simon Rec Center. 

17 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The 2019 class in Wisconsin is strong. Like that we've offered Xzavier Jones, a good but not great athlete who can shoot the ball. He's the kind of player who flies under the radar until late. Wisconsin and Marquette have made other players higher priorities in that class.

I don't think I can handle having a player who spells his name this way.

Nobal Days - PF, 6-9, 200 - Racine, WI (Washington Park) - Twitter: @nobaldays

Offers: SLU, Marquette, DePaul, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, K-State, Tulane, UNLV.

Interest: UNC, Duke, NC State, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Ohio State, Purdue, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Arizona, Stanford, Mizzou, Vanderbilt.

Latest News: Days picked up offers from SLU and Northwestern in June. (6/27/17)

Scouting Report: Days is a defensive-minded power forward with a great work ethic and high basketball IQ. He's got a high ceiling and is developing his offensive game. He passes extremely well for a young big and can handle it a bit. He's trying to develop a guard-like skill set. He's an unselfish team player and good leader. He's currently the 53rd-ranked 2019 player per ESPN and the top prospect in Wisconsin.

Xzavier Jones - SG, 6-5, 185 - Greendale, WI (Martin Luther) - Twitter: @zathatman

Offers: SLU, Green Bay.

Interest: Marquette, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Memphis, UNLV, Bradley, Drake, UWM.

Latest News: Jones received an offer from SLU during his unofficial visit in June. (6/27/17)

Scouting Report: Jones is an athletic, versatile wing with a high motor. He's got a good mid-range game and loves to score at the rim, but has not developed much of a perimeter shot at this point.