Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Christmas - SF, 6-6, 205 - Virginia Beach, VA (Landstown) - Twitter: @BallerMMC_23

Offers: James Madison, Hampton.

Interest: SLU, Virginia Tech.

Latest News: Christmas took an unofficial visit to SLU with Boo Williams AAU teammates Aundre Hyatt and Anderson Mirambeaux in June. (6/22/17)

Scouting Report: Christmas is a strong, talented wing forward who combines power with guard skills. He's a relentless rebounder at both ends and an exceptional shot blocker for a wing. He has a sound perimeter presence and good jumper, finishes strong, and is a good defender. Christmas averaged 21 points and 10 rebounds as a sophomore and led his HS team to its first ever regional championship, being named to the Virginia 6A all-state team in the process.

Anderson Mirambeaux - PF, 6-7, 275 - Santo Domingo, DR (Teays Valley Christian) - Twitter: @mirambeaux09

Offers: Virginia Tech, Hampton.

Interest: SLU, Texas Tech, UConn, Akron, Toledo, Marshall, James Madison, North Texas, Radford, Canisius, Lafayette, Norfolk State.

Latest News: Mirambeaux took an unofficial visit to SLU with Boo Williams AAU teammates Aundre Hyatt and Michael Christmas in June. (6/22/17)

Scouting Report: Mirambeaux is a big banger at power forward with a huge body. He's a relentless rebounder with great hands. He can score from the high, mid, or low post, using a combination of his size and excellent footwork, plus a variety of post moves. He's got work to do from a conditioning standpoint but runs the floor well. He has work to do on his jumper and but right now has the physical tools and understanding of the game to overcome his limitations.

With all these kids in St Louis for a Nike camp, can we really say they are taking an "unofficial visit" to SLU?  That seems a little overboard to me.  If TF and any of his ACs talk to all the campers, we could clain an unofficial visit by all of them.  I think labeling these as visits is very misleading, clearly not the same as a kid making a trip to STL on his own to see the school and meet the coaches.

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Has the news on James wiseman stalled out?  Havent heard anything about his move to STL since around the time Frank C. spoke about it. 

I would guess that's not happening. He switched from BBE to Team Penny and he's been mentioning Vanderbilt and Tennessee as options, in addition to Indiana, Kentucky, and Alabama regionally. Plus Duke and Kansas obviously. 

13 minutes ago, bauman said:

With all these kids in St Louis for a Nike camp, can we really say they are taking an "unofficial visit" to SLU?  That seems a little overboard to me.  If TF and any of his ACs talk to all the campers, we could clain an unofficial visit by all of them.  I think labeling these as visits is very misleading, clearly not the same as a kid making a trip to STL on his own to see the school and meet the coaches.

There is a difference between going to the Camp and taking an unofficial visit.  I'd imagine guys on an unofficial visit will meet with the coaching staff and go on a tour of campus and do other stuff that is outside of the normal camp activities.  IRC "unofficial" visits aren't that different from official visits except SLU isn't footing the bill for anything when the kid is on an "unofficial."

Either way, I'm thrilled with all of the additional buzz SLU gets from hosting this camp and having guys on "unofficial" visits.  I think SLU hosted this camp back in the Crews days as well, but you never really heard anything about it.  The difference speaks volumes.

There is an NCAA-imposed limit to five "official" visits you can take -- and these are expense-paid visits by the school.  Plus they can only be taken after the first day of classes that start your senior year.  Plus you have to have an official SAT or ACT score to go and spend no more than 48 hours on that visit.  You can go on all the unofficial visits you want but coaches can only talk to you when on campus and in-person. 

2 hours ago, ACE said:
We're definitely getting a lot of publicity on twitter today...
Joe Girard, a class of 2019 guard playing for the Albany City Rocks (NY), will go on an unofficial visit to St. Louis today.

All of these recruits need to bring a copy of their AAU stats plus a printout of their rankings on various sites so that Glory Days is satisfied that they can be Billikens.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

All of these recruits need to bring a copy of their AAU stats plus a printout of their rankings on various sites so that Glory Days is satisfied that they can be Billikens.

and ESPN ranking on a piece of paper worn on their body like marathon runners 

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

There is a difference between going to the Camp and taking an unofficial visit.  I'd imagine guys on an unofficial visit will meet with the coaching staff and go on a tour of campus and do other stuff that is outside of the normal camp activities.  IRC "unofficial" visits aren't that different from official visits except SLU isn't footing the bill for anything when the kid is on an "unofficial."

Either way, I'm thrilled with all of the additional buzz SLU gets from hosting this camp and having guys on "unofficial" visits.  I think SLU hosted this camp back in the Crews days as well, but you never really heard anything about it.  The difference speaks volumes.

Pretty much all of this. Not to mention, these kids will Tweet about their visit to SLU and sometimes include photos. There were plenty of these last year, when the 2018 kids were getting ready to start this event. The staff basically will take around small groupings of players from certain AAU teams and walk them around the campus and facilities and make their pitch.

It's also different than just attending camp because they're in contact with our coaches on our campus. It's an unofficial visit, by the NCAA definition. If guys are just there for the camp and aren't hosted in any capacity by our staff for a tour or meeting or whatever, then they didn't take a visit.

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

This kid has an amazing story. His family fled Sudan when he was a baby, so he grew up in Nairobi, Kenya. He's ethnically Dinka, the largest South Sudanese group, and the same as Manute Bol (and his son, a 5-star 2018 recruit), Thon Maker, and Luol Deng. He speaks six languages and wants to be a doctor because he lost a brother when he was young. He started playing basketball in 8th grade. High ceiling here.

John Bol Ajak - C, 6-10, 205 - South Sudan (Church Farm School, PA) - Twitter: @JohnBolAjak5

Offers: SLU.

Interest: St. Joe's, Temple.

Latest News: Bol received a SLU offer in June. (6/22/17)

Scouting Report: Bol is an extremely long post player with a high motor. He runs the floor extremely well and finishes hard. His face-up game is improving and he has a nice jump shot. On the defensive end, he has a nose for the ball and looks to go after everything near him, aggressively rebounding and blocking shots. He didn't start playing basketball until 8th grade in Nairobi, Kenya (his family fled Sudan when he was a baby), so he came to the Church Farm School extremely raw as a freshman but has progressed considerably. He averaged 12 PPG, 10 RPG, and 2 BPG as a sophomore and looks poised to break out heading into his junior season.

Jesus Christ get this kid in Billie Blue.

It's time, gents...

MOOOAAARRRRR AAFFRRIKKKKANNNZZZZZ!!!

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Pretty much all of this. Not to mention, these kids will Tweet about their visit to SLU and sometimes include photos. There were plenty of these last year, when the 2018 kids were getting ready to start this event. The staff basically will take around small groupings of players from certain AAU teams and walk them around the campus and facilities and make their pitch.

It's also different than just attending camp because they're in contact with our coaches on our campus. It's an unofficial visit, by the NCAA definition. If guys are just there for the camp and aren't hosted in any capacity by our staff for a tour or meeting or whatever, then they didn't take a visit.

I agree with you and RU and yes the pub we get from the "visitors" is great.  I take the "campers only" out of the equation completely.  Not to beat a dead horse, but my only point is that these in-STL-primarily-for-the-Nike-Camp attendees who become "unofficial visitors" (UOV) because the staff talks to them and gives them a tour of the school and facilities are much different than unofficial visitors who come here on their own with one purpose - to see the school and talk to the coaching staff.  

Also, no disagreement that some of the Nike Camp unofficial visitors might become very interested in becoming a Billiken.  I just think the percent of those Camp UOV who become actual recruiting targets is much lower than the on-my-own UOV group.

These UOVs will mean more to me when we convert one to a signed LOI.  I know it's early in the TF era, but as best I can tell none of our 4 HS recruits (Goodwin, French, Gordon and Thatch) have been Nike Camp UOVs- hopefully we'll get some in the near future.

34 minutes ago, bauman said:

These UOVs will mean more to me when we convert one to a signed LOI.  I know it's early in the TF era, but as best I can tell none of our 4 HS recruits (Goodwin, French, Gordon and Thatch) have been Nike Camp UOVs- hopefully we'll get some in the near future.

Well, the remainder of the 2018 class will be the test because that was the primary class represented at last year's event. Ford wasn't around for the prior one. Gordon was playing for Ramey last year and I can't remember if Thatch was there or not.

We offered one of those who visited today. Another pretty interesting kid:

Joe Girard - SG, 6-1, 170 - Glens Falls, NY (Glens Falls) - Twitter: @JG3_____

Offers: SLU, GW, Penn State, Washington, Tulane, BYU, Vermont, Albany, Siena, Marist, High Point.

Interest: UMass, Fordham, Villanova, St. John's, Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Michigan.

Latest News: Girard picked up an offer from SLU on an unofficial visit before the Nike EYBL event in June. (6/22/17)

Scouting Report: Girard is an extremely high-volume scorer, averaging 36 points as a sophomore and already eclipsing the 2,000-point mark in his HS career, which has two years left. He's an elite shooter, with a quick release and smooth stroke, and is considered one of the best shooters in the country. He's got work to do handling the ball and on the defensive end. He's also on the small side for a shooting guard, so developing a point guard skill set would go a long way. It helps that he's an all-around athlete, having played QB and CB for his HS football team and leading them to a state title and perfect season. He's from the same small town as Jimmer Fredette and can't escape the comparison.

24 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We offered one of those who visited today. Another pretty interesting kid:

Joe Girard - SG, 6-1, 170 - Glens Falls, NY (Glens Falls) - Twitter: @JG3_____

Offers: SLU, GW, Penn State, Washington, Tulane, BYU, Vermont, Albany, Siena, Marist, High Point.

Interest: UMass, Fordham, Villanova, St. John's, Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Michigan.

Latest News: Girard picked up an offer from SLU on an unofficial visit before the Nike EYBL event in June. (6/22/17)

Scouting Report: Girard is an extremely high-volume scorer, averaging 36 points as a sophomore and already eclipsing the 2,000-point mark in his HS career, which has two years left. He's an elite shooter, with a quick release and smooth stroke, and is considered one of the best shooters in the country. He's got work to do handling the ball and on the defensive end. He's also on the small side for a shooting guard, so developing a point guard skill set would go a long way. It helps that he's an all-around athlete, having played QB and CB for his HS football team and leading them to a state title and perfect season. He's from the same small town as Jimmer Fredette and can't escape the comparison.

Heady, gym rat, coach on the floor

Just now, ACE said:

Heady, gym rat, coach on the floor

Agreed, might be useful to note these recruits' ethnicities going forward, just so I can set some baselines on the stereotypical attributes.  Are we dealing with washbasin types or bad mamma jamma AFRRRIKKAAANNNZZZZ!?!?  If a 6-1 shooting guard is white, he better be hitting 55% from 3 on 5 shots a game, with a high release.  If he's black, well, he's potentially Mike McCall, and gimme gimme gimme.

16 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

Agreed, might be useful to note these recruits' ethnicities going forward, just so I can set some baselines on the stereotypical attributes.  Are we dealing with washbasin types or bad mamma jamma AFRRRIKKAAANNNZZZZ!?!?  If a 6-1 shooting guard is white, he better be hitting 55% from 3 on 5 shots a game, with a high release.  If he's black, well, he's potentially Mike McCall, and gimme gimme gimme.

He's only hitting a dismal 44.7% (42/94) from 3 on the EYBL circuit: http://www.d1circuit.com/stats/team_instance/2625989?subseason=380949&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=2364614