SLU Baseball in some hot water?

TheBand

It doesn't take much digging on social media and the Billiken athletics website to find out that the guy who used baboon isn't on the team anymore and isn't even enrolled at SLU(or so his Facebook says). The other one is still listed as on the roster. The team issued an apology in the Unews as well, not sure if that's been mentioned.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from Hummel's game story (http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/lackey-is-right-at-home-as-he-baffles-cards/article_366c4517-63a7-516a-94cd-30cf3ee142bc.html):

Jason Heyward, another Cardinals star who defected to the Cubs in the off-season, was booed lustily (emphasis mine) by man (sic) in the full house Busch crowd of 45, 432 as he went nothing for four but made two sliding catches to take hits away in right field.

I don't know what the ESPN crowd mic caught, but I'm interested, as well. Who knows? It could have been something like, "Lackey's a beer swillin', chardonnay sippin', redneck cracker!"

Well the ESPN microphones picked up people screaming the n word at least the first two Heyward at bats that I heard. Not sure if they turned it off or the Cardinals fans all left early.

I'm finding it hard to believe that the espn broadcast picked up cardinals fans saying racist and deadspin didn't have the scoop. They have a bigger hard on for cardinal fans as you apparently

Well the ESPN microphones picked up people screaming the n word at least the first two Heyward at bats that I heard. Not sure if they turned it off or the Cardinals fans all left early.

Are you saying fans screaming racial slurs was picked up by the ESPN microphones and came over the broadcast? I am calling bs.

yeah, i watched the whole game and definitely didnt hear that. Link or gtfo

Are you saying fans screaming racial slurs was picked up by the ESPN microphones and came over the broadcast? I am calling bs.

I doubt the mics picked it up.

But I totally believe those words were used. You can't get 40,000+ St. Louisans and Chicagoans together without some idiots being there.

Are we supposed to less offended by the SLU athletes' ignorance because some unrelated sports fans were also ignorant? 10,000 rednecks at Cardinal games can yell whatever racist obscenities they want, and it doesn't make the SLU situation any better or more justified.

"Jason Heyward’s return to St. Louis was marred with racial slurs." That seems like a stretch to me, I didn't hear anything like that watching the game on ESPN last night (or in the video from that article). I am sure there are racist Cardinals fans that were at the game last night and maybe a few who said dumb things last night, but saying that his return was "marred with racial slurs" or "blitzed with taunts" seems a little extreme.

I think the best comparison here is what happened at the University of Oklahoma last year, where members of a fraternity were shown singing a very racist chant in a video. Students were expelled from the school. At the time, I read several people write that since OU is a state school, the students would have a decent chance of success if they had filed suit to contest their dismissal on a free speech basis. At the same time, I remember telling people that at a private school like SLU, the school could have dismissed the students without any strong pushback on a free speech basis. I'd say that generally applies here. If this was a law school exam or bar exam question, I could write a few sentences to suggest that SLU should be subject to the same treatment as a state school, but I'd generally think SLU could dismiss the students with impunity, at least on the free speech front.

Don't forget that religious institutions often invoke Free Exercise principles when it comes to student conduct/discipline issues. Of course SLU has argued on the record they aren't governed by church doctrine to get that sweet TIF money, but the First Amendment if anything still cuts in their favor when it comes to stuff like this.

"Everyone else is doing it" isn't really a valid argument here.

Back to our University: SLU officials promise 'justice' after racist texts by athletes become public. One of the top headlines on stltoday.

This is the bad look I was worried about. Now it looks like they were covering it up and dismissing it, but only changing now because it is public. The next thing will be a new list of demands from the BSA to compliment the list from the clocktower tresspassers. I suppose the BSA are at least students at SLU.

Although if I hear the term "safe space".....

Now it looks like they were covering it up and dismissing it, but only changing now because it is public.

I don't really get that vibe from the article. It says the school didn't even hear about it until this month and already had a bunch of meetings with various people before it went public.

This is the bad look I was worried about. Now it looks like they were covering it up and dismissing it, but only changing now because it is public. The next thing will be a new list of demands from the BSA to compliment the list from the clocktower tresspassers. I suppose the BSA are at least students at SLU.

Although if I hear the term "safe space".....

I saw at least one post on Facebook that demanded the baseball team forfeit the remainder of the season.