SLU Baseball in some hot water?

TheBand

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this just makes everyone look bad. Wow. So shameful and embarrassing.

The thing is, I'm not sure the University really can (or even should) do anything to punish them. It was a private conversation. The mistake the University made was to sit on it for several days after the investigation rather than going to Twomey, explaining the results of the investigation, and going over his options. Not just because he got frustrated and went public with it during that period, but because it's their responsibility to deliver that news to him right after the outcome.

Coach Hendrickson also needs boot these guys from the team immediately, if he hasn't already done so. The "facilitated dialogue" isn't going to mean much if those two players are still sitting there as team members.

The one thing I can't figure out is - when did Hendrickson find out about this? Did Twomey bring it to anyone's attention last spring, or did he really sit on it for 11 full months? Because it sure looks like Hendrickson is rushing to save his ass now that everyone found out about it; if he knew before this month's investigation, that's a problem.

Looks like he sat on it until his GF found the screenshot and put the screws to him

Yeah, I was just wondering if he brought it to anyone's attention internally (and not at the University administration level), like Coach Hendrickson or an assistant or anyone in the AD. I hope for everyone's sake he didn't, because if anyone in an official capacity saw this and didn't act until it went public 11 months later, they could (and should) be fired.

Weird story.

If he brought it to Hendrickson or whomever last year when it happened, I'd say launch some coaches, ADs, etc. If this is some sort of weird year later revenge plot, not sure what you can really do other than kick a couple guys off the team?

I dont agree with what was said, but this was clearly a free speech issue. I dont think SLU has any ability to discipline without creating some legal issues for them. This was a private text message conversation and not a public statement representing SLU.

Do you see the government intervening to prevent the kid's speech? Well, no. This is as much of a "free speech" issue than if the kid walked into the coach's office and told him to go f*** himself.

I dont agree with what was said, but this was clearly a free speech issue. I dont think SLU has any ability to discipline without creating some legal issues for them. This was a private text message conversation and not a public statement representing SLU.

The First Amendment protects freedom of speech from government intervention. It doesn't protect a private citizen from being disciplined by a private school or organization for what he or she says, nor does it shield anyone from the social consequences of their speech.

SLU could discipline these students however it sees fit, as could the baseball program or the athletic department. But in this case, I think the University is right to hold itself to the standard of a public institution and not discipline what was said privately and not targeted at anyone as hate speech. I am disappointed that they didn't handle the situation better with the student who filed the complaint, though.

However, I would say the baseball program and/or athletic department have not just a right but a responsibility to act on this.

I agree that the University probably could not do anything since this is a private conversation and probably would have opened up issues for them if they punished it in some manner. Since it was not directed towards anyone under the jurisdiction of the school, it makes sense. Personally I was wondering how long this would take before a media outlet picked it up, since it was news on campus around last Wednesday or so. That being said, it is another tricky position for the school to be in, as punishing the baseball players was foggy legally, and not punishing them allows for a smear campaign in the realm of public opinion. Will be interesting to see how much backlash there is from this story.

And on another note, if members of the staff knew about this before becoming public then changes need to be made. If this was never brought to the attention of the coaching staff or members of the AD, a firing would be difficult to rationalize. It is impossible for a coach to have complete tabs over things such as group chats made outside the attention of the team.

When I was in college, the baseball players were the absolute worst. Appears things haven't changed.

I don't recall having a strong opinion of the baseball players when I was at SLU. I know the team wasn't very good during my time (2002 thru 2005 seasons) and I went to a few games (fairly tough league back then with Houston, TCU, Louisville, East Carolina, Tulane, Southern Miss, South Florida, UAB, Charlotte, Memphis), but I don't recall the players being the worst.

Definitely one of those stories the athletic department is thrilled to see become public...

The First Amendment protects freedom of speech from government intervention. It doesn't protect a private citizen from being disciplined by a private school or organization for what he or she says, nor does it shield anyone from the social consequences of their speech.

SLU could discipline these students however it sees fit, as could the baseball program or the athletic department. But in this case, I think the University is right to hold itself to the standard of a public institution and not discipline what was said privately and not targeted at anyone as hate speech. I am disappointed that they didn't handle the situation better with the student who filed the complaint, though.

However, I would say the baseball program and/or athletic department have not just a right but a responsibility to act on this.

+1.

One of my big pet peeves is the misuse of the first amendment stuff. "Whatever happened to free speech!"

+1 Most Americans don't understand what exactly the First Amendment means or what it does. I have seen situations where both sides of an argument misunderstand and misapply the First Amendment.

+1 Most Americans don't understand what exactly the First Amendment means or what it does. I have seen situations where both sides of an argument misunderstand and misapply the First Amendment.

It's easy to remember: The First Amendment forbids Congress from passing laws that prevent you from saying things that prove you're too stupid to understand the First Amendment.

More press:

The Guardian

San Jose Mercury News

CW 33 (Dallas-Fort Worth)

The baseball program should do something about this soon, or media outlets are going to keep running with the "players won't be punished" storyline.

Except now there will be other headlines saying "school reverses course..." "After public pressure" Or something to that effect.