True story behind Jayson Tatum not committing to SLU

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, but not groundbreaking for anyone here necessarily. I've heard a couple similar things from more of a fe degrees of separation than being able to ask a player myself. Though I've heard there was more to it than just the PG offer. Not a long list of "demands" though from what I've been told.

Interesting, but not groundbreaking for anyone here necessarily. I've heard a couple similar things from more of a fe degrees of separation than being able to ask a player myself. Though I've heard there was more to it than just the PG offer. Not a long list of "demands" though from what I've been told.

Right, that's what I generally understood from the guy. That there may have been more, but that whatever it was, Crews wasn't willing to give it up.

If there is any truth to Jayson telling Crews he would likely be a Billiken if he offered Barnes and Crews not immediately getting Barnes on the phone, he should have been fired the day Jayson committed to Duke. Barnes certainly would not have been a wasted scholarship regardless. I somewhat question the validity of this, but I am positive there was more we could have done to get Jayson to SLU, but did Crews and his staff win any recruiting battles?

In some ways, I'm glad we didn't get Tatum. Crews was a horrible basketball coach. It would have been one solid year and then back to what we saw the last two years. Now we get the chance to move on to a new coach

But I wonder if they would have still pulled the trigger on firing Crews (even with a Tatum commitment) after this shiit show of a season...

Jordan Barnes ended up at Indiana State. No, we did not and do not need Jordan Barnes.

the Indiana State that finished 60 or so spots ahead of SLU in kenpom and 40 in the RPI?

He's local. He played for the Eagles. He could have helped away Tatum. He could have helped with other Eagles.

You are absolutely correct. This is completely false. But there is a background story that will never be told and it proves Coach Crews to be a man of honor and integrity.

I appreciate very much that Jim Crews is a man of honor and integrity, but in his position he was expected even more to be a coach who could sustain and/or build a high-level basketball program. I don't think those are mutually exclusive, either. But he proved to be incapable of fulfilling his primary responsibility.

Thanks to Mr. Crews for his participation in three very good years of SLU basketball history; now here's hoping that Travis Ford can check both boxes: build and sustain a high-level hoops program while exuding class, honor, and integrity.