True story behind Jayson Tatum not committing to SLU

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you are doing in this story is basically accessing the Tatum camp of blackmail. You should think twice before you attempt to damage someone's reputation.

You even put it in quotes. I'd like to hear your recording of this conversation. Shameful journalism.

Jayson Tatum, the #1 (or 2 depending on the site) recruit said flat out to Coach Jim Crews: Give my starting point guard a scholarship offer, and Ill commit to SLU. And Crews said Nah, Im good.

Don't know if the story has some truth or not, but it isn't anything close to blackmail. It is negotiation. Crews couldn't close the deal. One of the many reasons he deserved to be fired.

Really??? Have you seen Jermaine Bishop play? Come on Roy, get over your hate. It's bad for your health.

At least we agree on moving forward.

bishop the kid who was one of leaders on the team in turnovers and didnt hardly play half the season? bishop who had a worse percentage from the 3 point line than yarbrough? you guys see bishop lead the team in scoring a few games and think he is the savior but if you ask me he was a better player than our not deserving of our roster guards and just looked the best. i got no hate. well except your man crews who destroyed our program in just 4 years. if anyone needs to get a grip on reality it is you. i saw the trainwreck coming over two years ago and called it. you continue to apparently think crews was john wooden and frankly need to quit drinking. the rest of us need to start if we havent already.

bishop the kid who was one of leaders on the team in turnovers and didnt hardly play half the season? bishop who had a worse percentage from the 3 point line than yarbrough? you guys see bishop lead the team in scoring a few games and think he is the savior but if you ask me he was a better player than our not deserving of our roster guards and just looked the best. i got no hate. well except your man crews who destroyed our program in just 4 years. if anyone needs to get a grip on reality it is you. i saw the trainwreck coming over two years ago and called it. you continue to apparently think crews was john wooden and frankly need to quit drinking. the rest of us need to start if we havent already.

Stop the crap Roy. I would guess 95% of team's turnover leader is the point guard. You're deliberately being dishonest.

Stop the crap Roy. I would guess 95% of team's turnover leader is the point guard. You're deliberately being dishonest.

you honestly think hes a point guard? i.e. mitchell, waldman, josh fisher, even carlos mccauley point guard? he couldnt guard anyone man to man. i was embarrassed for him in the vcu game he was so over matched when he had the ball.

again, i agree he was the best guard we had (unless we count crawford as a guard but i am saying crawford was our small forward). but i am afraid we are elevating bishop's performance based on he was the best of not much else we had for a backcourt. if he is still our best guard by this time 2019 i fear our record the next three seasons.

btw, before anyone plays the "but he was named to the A10 all freshmen team" card. let's not forget yarbrough was as well last year. that played out well.

I am not trying to rip on Bishop, but as Roy stated it is a comparison thing to the rest of the roster. Bishop isn't a point guard and even Crews realized it. Why do you think Crews was giving a guy that couldn't start for his JUCO team 20 plus minutes a game at the point?

I am not trying to rip on Bishop, but as Roy stated it is a comparison thing to the rest of the roster. Bishop isn't a point guard and even Crews realized it. Why do you think Crews was giving a guy that couldn't start for his JUCO team 20 plus minutes a game at the point?

Like him or not. Good player or bad. Deserving of All Conference honors or not, Crews needed a PG and recruited Bishop to play with PG. Bishop played PG both in highschool and for us. Just stop.

If we could ever just get a legit power forward who could drive and dunk, a Barnes or Bishop would either one be plenty serviceable as point. I'll take my PF and Jordair Jett on point with any other 3 knuckleheads versus anybody. We might not when 'em all, but that would be about as good as it gets. Oh yeah, I want a heady, non athletic "pure" 3 ball shooter for the kickouts too. Preferably one that can shoot it from the coach's box line if need be. He can be a gym rat and/or scrappy also, doesn't matter to me, so long as he drains the orange globe.

But yeah, JT was a longshot at best from where I stand. It's maybe a slight increase in risk for him, but he can possibly increase his stock some more by playing in the national spotlight for his college career. We need a shot at one of these one and doners sometime to put us over the top, not 3 years late again. So we need some balanced classes with some degree of sustained success.

Vote for Pedro! Blame Blair! Or is the other way around? Who cares?!

If Travis pulls in a one and done, I'll be shocked. It's a rarity when a school outside of the elites, ie Duke, UNC, UK, KU, Cuse, et al, lands one. But a lot of schools have great success w/o landing one and doners. They don't guarantee success unless you land about 3 of them in one class ala Calipari and Coach K.

If Tatum had come to SLU, we might have had an outside shot at the dance given our current supporting cast. However, we might not have gone very far in the tourney and then he'd be gone. A more realistic approach, and one which gave us three straight dance invites and 3 Ws, was how Majerus did it, find players with good basic skills, smarts, good work ethics, and a team first attitude.

If Travis pulls in a one and done, I'll be shocked. It's a rarity when a school outside of the elites, ie Duke, UNC, UK, KU, Cuse, et al, lands one. But a lot of schools have great success w/o landing one and doners. They don't guarantee success unless you land about 3 of them in one class ala Calipari and Coach K.

If Tatum had come to SLU, we might have had an outside shot at the dance given our current supporting cast. However, we might not have gone very far in the tourney and then he'd be gone. A more realistic approach, and one which gave us three straight dance invites and 3 Ws, was how Majerus did it, find players with good basic skills, smarts, good work ethics, and a team first attitude.

Have you forgot that just getting in even if you lose early still gives a 5 year pay day. The money is what is important that is how the program can flourish.

you honestly think hes a point guard? i.e. mitchell, waldman, josh fisher, even carlos mccauley point guard? he couldnt guard anyone man to man. i was embarrassed for him in the vcu game he was so over matched when he had the ball.

again, i agree he was the best guard we had (unless we count crawford as a guard but i am saying crawford was our small forward). but i am afraid we are elevating bishop's performance based on he was the best of not much else we had for a backcourt. if he is still our best guard by this time 2019 i fear our record the next three seasons.

btw, before anyone plays the "but he was named to the A10 all freshmen team" card. let's not forget yarbrough was as well last year. that played out well.

Roy, you have been drinking if you think the Crews apologists have any grasp on reality at all. No sane person is going to defend the staff that failed at Army then failed even harder here. That was THE worst staff in the entire d1 mens basketball system. 350 better coaching staffs.

He did less with more and we totally sucked. Program got trashed. Ford can recruit real d1 talent and start the healing. Whoever comes after Ford will be in a much better spot than we are in now.

We need to have an annual symbolic firing of Crews.

Have you forgot that just getting in even if you lose early still gives a 5 year pay day. The money is what is important that is how the program can flourish.

We had Crews. Tatum coming here was about as likely as Tatum going to play for Kim Anderson.

If Majerus or Ford were here i would have given us a legitimate shot.

He made the right decision in not risking a year of Crews control. He probably would have had a career ending injury or something. Crews was terrible.

We had Crews. Tatum coming here was about as likely as Tatum going to play for Kim Anderson.

He made the right decision in not risking a year of Crews control. He probably would have had a career ending injury or something. Crews was terrible.

Not sure about Majerus, but I'm fairly confident he would've came here if Ford was our coach throughout the recruitment process. As others have said, though, it is water under the bridge at this point. I do think he will regret his decision at some point in his life. It may take 20 years but it will happen. Larry Hughes Jr. will be a legend around these parts and Tatum will be just another dude who was really good at basketball and made the league.

I was responding to the post about we would have only had him 1 year so not so bad that he did not come.

Not sure about Majerus, but I'm fairly confident he would've came here if Ford was our coach throughout the recruitment process. As others have said, though, it is water under the bridge at this point. I do think he will regret his decision at some point in his life. It may take 20 years but it will happen. Larry Hughes Jr. will be a legend around these parts and Tatum will be just another dude who was really good at basketball and made the league.

I don't think Jayson Tatum will ever regret playing basketball at Duke. Just a wild guess.

No Roy, you have moved the goal posts. Your original point was that Jordan Barnes was better than any Billiken guard. Your hatred blinded your thought process. Bishop led our team in scoring and assists in A-10. And YES, Bishop was A10 All Freshman. But, no, Barnes is better you say. Right. I assume you have anointed Barnes as All Valley Freshman Team, and likely League MVP? Come on Roy, end your hatred. I pity your dog.

Bishop is a good player but Reynolds had decent stats too when he was starting. So did McBroom last year. Somebody has to score/pass so if you play 25+ minutes, you'll end up with decent stats more time than not. Bishop is a solid player and will likely be a 4 year contributor but some of his stats are misleading as he got them by default.

Bishop just looks like a more competent guard than Reynolds or McBroom. Sure, all have interesting statistical aspects to their game and on paper it might be harder to differentiate between the players. But imo, Bishop is the most talented of the bunch. He had growing pains, yes, but from an eye test perspective he looks like the best basketball player of the bunch. Is he the best guard on our roster? No, that is Crawford. Is he better than Barnes? Most likely (based on my limited viewings of Barnes).