True story behind Jayson Tatum not committing to SLU

In some ways, I'm glad we didn't get Tatum. Crews was a horrible basketball coach. It would have been one solid year and then back to what we saw the last two years. Now we get the chance to move on to a new coach

The power of positive thinking, we should all cultivate it. Tatum is past history, not a real issue any longer. Ford on the other hand may be the beginning of very nice things for SLU. It is always better to look forward than backwards. Sulfan states this very well.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the Indiana State that finished 60 or so spots ahead of SLU in kenpom and 40 in the RPI?

He's local. He played for the Eagles. He could have helped away Tatum. He could have helped with other Eagles.

Yes, a mid-level Valley team. Do you want to fill up on mid-level roster players? I don't care where he played. We can't pick up every local player.

The story is false. Tatum did not ask for a package deal.

You are absolutely correct. This is completely false. But there is a background story that will never be told and it proves Coach Crews to be a man of honor and integrity.

It's false, yet I talked to a player that said he heard the exact same thing, and that that's the general consensus among the team? Also never said it was Barnes that Tatum asked for a scholarship for. Was probably Michael Lewis. I fully agree that there's likely more to it than just that, and that there's more to the background of it all. But this is not "completely false"

Jordan Barnes ended up at Indiana State. No, we did not and do not need Jordan Barnes.

barnes would be an upgrade over any guard on our current roster. is he the level we want to get back to? probably not, but he definitely would have upgraded the point guard position,

Yes, a mid-level Valley team. Do you want to fill up on mid-level roster players? I don't care where he played. We can't pick up every local player.

The story is false. Tatum did not ask for a package deal.

right now a mid level valley team will kick our azz every game. your defense of all things crews is amazing.

All this is interesting but that is all it is. Crews is gone so kicking him more is pointless. Tatum is at Duke and no Coach K was never offered a package deal to get him - Tatum had little leverage. Barnes will be at IN State. Like I said before it is an interesting story but has no bearing on us. Now if the story was leaked as a way to get SLU to get rid of Crews then OK but now it is only a foot note in history - nice to know but of little value if any except to start another argument among those who think they know and those who think they know different. When the real truthful story comes out then maybe I will have a bit of interest but only from an informational stand point..

right now a mid level valley team will kick our azz every game. your defense of all things crews is amazing.

Well I am glad you would be satisfied to fill our roster with players who may or may not contribute to mid-level Valley Teams. I have higher hopes than that. I'm surprised you are high on this kid as he isn't from Illinois.

I hope Barnes does well. We'll see how soon he leads the Sycamores to the NCAA. With the glowing reports from this board, it should be within a year or two.

Well I am glad you would be satisfied to fill our roster with players who may or may not contribute to mid-level Valley Teams. I have higher hopes than that. I'm surprised you are high on this kid as he isn't from Illinois.

I hope Barnes does well. We'll see how soon he leads the Sycamores to the NCAA. With the glowing reports from this board, it should be within a year or two.

Where did I say I was high on him? I said he's better than any guard we have now and then. Crews was wrong to brush him off when he was incapable if bringing in better.

I agree going forward we have to do better, but a year ago those in charge could not and did not.

i assume Barnes ain't off to Duke?

Duke doesn't need to offer Barnes to beat to SLU on the number one recruit in the country. They are Duke.

SLU on the other hand needs to pull out all the stops when it is trying to beat out Duke. If they weren't going to offer Barnes a scholarship and his dad a spot on the staff, they shouldn't have wasted time and resources trying to land Tatum.

You are absolutely correct. This is completely false. But there is a background story that will never be told and it proves Coach Crews to be a man of honor and integrity.

Why can't it be told? What does anyone have to lose by telling it? Could it be that it either doesn't exist or isn't true?

I'm not sure what interest you and Hoosier Pal have in defending Crews' honor, but you've chosen a strange hill to die on.

i assume Barnes ain't off to Duke?

Correct, and Tatum is also not off to Indiana State... I'm sure they would have had a scholarship for Tatum. Crews was a disaster, obviously, but I don't believe this package deal idea. If it was so important to Jayson, he would have been shopping this deal to other programs. Why only SLU? Tatum and Giles were also talking about a package deal. Kids talk about this stuff all the time, but a lot of times it doesn't come to fruition. My sense is that Justin Tatum is the one who has been floating this package deal idea the whole time since Barnes is one of his players. With SLU's luck, we would get a commit from Barnes and then Tatum goes off to Duke anyway. Now some say, we should have offered Barnes anyway... I don't have an opinion because I haven't seen the kid play. Maybe he could help, but I'm skeptical that he would be "better than any guard on our roster." Bishop was just named to the All A-10 Newcomer team - I'd be surprised if Barnes could make that type of immediate impact in the A-10. We didn't get Tatum because we sucked, not because of a package deal.

Having said that, not sure why Billikenswin can't set the record straight and share the real story. Who is he protecting at this point - Justin Tatum? I've never really sensed he was much of a friend of the program anyway, so who cares at this point.

Our roster has low D1 talent. Barnes is that at least. If that was truly the only reason we didn't get him, Crews is dumber than I thought. That said, I'm sure there are numerous reasons we didn't get Tatum

1. We're not Duke

2. Crews wasn't Coach K

3. Crews was a horrible basketball coach

4. A lot of players didn't like Crews

5. Jim Platt

6. Jim Platt

7. Crews tanked the program

8. You have to park 3 blocks away from Chaifetz

9. Jim Platt

10. The "meanie" fans on the this board

11. We didn't offer Barnes

12. We didn't make his dad an assistant

13. Crews was a horrible coach

14. Jim Platt

15. Our program sucked

4. A lot of players didn't like Crews

-then why did they sign with him?

-I have trouble believing this package deal because the first 3 reasons on 13's list make the decision on Duke sort of easy and him being a one and doner

This doesn't smell true, ring true, sound true, or anything sounding true.

Let's pretend for moment those things were said. A kid saying that he would come to St.Louis if you bring my buddy with me. Sounds like something a kid would say when he had no intention of coming anyway. Making an offer that no self-respecting coach would ever accept. What is Crews would have accepted that and the point guard wasn't up to division 1 level and benched him or decided that he didn't deserve this scholarship the next year? Does Tatum automatically leave the program as well? I don't see a head basketball coach putting himself in that position. Especially a coach that has been coaching as long as Crews had. I also don't believe a high-level recruit would be advised to even ask that question in the first place unless he's a total dummy. I certainly don't think Coach K would put up with that either.