Coaching changes and vacancies

CBFan

Since the CBB season is over and there is not much that is new about recruitment there is a lot of changes in coaches in CBB.

I checked out Josh Pastner's record and the overall is good however conference USA is not the same conference USA when SLU played in that conference. I wonder what others think about Georgia Tech's wisdom after firing Gregory about choosing Pastner? Also I am curious about other schools trying to fill vacancies for example does Memphis look at some of the assistant coaches and coaches mentioned on this board? It is always interesting how the coaching carousel goes round and round at the end of the season.

Pastner's recruits from the 2010 high school class were ranked as one of the best recruiting classes in the nation. Pastner was named Sporting News C-USA Coach of the Year for the 2009–10 season.

After a 2010-2011 season which included a Conference USA tournament championship and appearance in the 2011 NCAA tournament, Pastner signed a 5 year, $1.7 million (annually) contract extension with the Tigers.

On March 21, 2013, the Tigers defeated the St. Mary's Gaels 54-52, giving Pastner his first NCAA tournament victory as a head coach. On the heels of his first NCAA victory and the signing of a top 5 recruiting class for 2013, Pastner's contract was extended through 2019-20 and his pay was raised to 2.65 per year. After starting his career 0-13 against ranked teams, Pastner coached the Tigers to a 73-68 victory over #5 Oklahoma State on December 1, 2013.

The 2013-14 Tigers entered the season ranked #13 in the country, though the team ultimately earned an 8 seed in the NCAA tournament and lost by 18 points in the round of 32 to Virginia. The 2014-15 Tigers did not make the NCAA or NIT tournaments, which marked the first time in 15 years that the Tigers had missed the postseason.

Since the CBB season is over and there is not much that is new about recruitment there is a lot of changes in coaches in CBB.

I checked out Josh Pastner's record and the overall is good however conference USA is not the same conference USA when SLU played in that conference. I wonder what others think about Georgia Tech's wisdom after firing Gregory about choosing Pastner? Also I am curious about other schools trying to fill vacancies for example does Memphis look at some of the assistant coaches and coaches mentioned on this board? It is always interesting how the coaching carousel goes round and round at the end of the season.

Pastner's recruits from the 2010 high school class were ranked as one of the best recruiting classes in the nation. Pastner was named Sporting News C-USA Coach of the Year for the 2009–10 season.

After a 2010-2011 season which included a Conference USA tournament championship and appearance in the 2011 NCAA tournament, Pastner signed a 5 year, $1.7 million (annually) contract extension with the Tigers.

On March 21, 2013, the Tigers defeated the St. Mary's Gaels 54-52, giving Pastner his first NCAA tournament victory as a head coach. On the heels of his first NCAA victory and the signing of a top 5 recruiting class for 2013, Pastner's contract was extended through 2019-20 and his pay was raised to 2.65 per year. After starting his career 0-13 against ranked teams, Pastner coached the Tigers to a 73-68 victory over #5 Oklahoma State on December 1, 2013.

The 2013-14 Tigers entered the season ranked #13 in the country, though the team ultimately earned an 8 seed in the NCAA tournament and lost by 18 points in the round of 32 to Virginia. The 2014-15 Tigers did not make the NCAA or NIT tournaments, which marked the first time in 15 years that the Tigers had missed the postseason.

Memphis is now stuck with coach the players and fans both do not want. All but 1 from his Top recruiting class from 2013 have left the program, Memphis has missed the Tourney for the first time in years not only last year but this year, attendance is below 6,000 per game and they owe $10.6 million still to Pastner with NO buyout clause. What is Georgia Tech thinking? We know Gregory is bad but Pastner might be worse!!

Contract talk article:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/columnists/geoff-calkins/Geoff-Calkins-Take-5-Heres-the-skinny-on-Josh-Pastners-contract-366424341.html

Recent season summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_Memphis_Tigers_men%27s_basketball_team

Comparatively, SLU has hit a grand slam!!

Mem.....B.......Ga Tech....B+

AAC.....B+.....ACC..........A+

Bottomline...Pastner would actually be taking over a better team but be moving into a worse situation....At Mem he is only down 1 notch ( B team in a B+ league...barely acceptable especially with no NCAA)... with GT he is moving into a bad situation (hence the reason Gregory is gone) down 3 notches ....more than 1 is unacceptable)....He would need to get to at least A- in this case...2 notches down is acceptable if you can still make the NCAA. So the choice for Pastner is move up 2 notches in the AAC or 1 notch in the ACC...close call but probably a little more difficult in the ACC....throw in some extra cash and his decision is easier.

Up until the past couple of seasons, I thought Pastner actually did a pretty decent job overall. I think it is harder to win at Memphis than it used to be, but the last couple of years really raise concern. That said, if I was a Tech fan i would trust Mike Bobinski when it comes to hiring basketball coaches.

Memphis is now stuck with coach the players and fans both do not want. All but 1 from his Top recruiting class from 2013 have left the program, Memphis has missed the Tourney for the first time in years not only last year but this year, attendance is below 6,000 per game and they owe $10.6 million still to Pastner with NO buyout clause. What is Georgia Tech thinking? We know Gregory is bad but Pastner might be worse!!

Contract talk article:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/columnists/geoff-calkins/Geoff-Calkins-Take-5-Heres-the-skinny-on-Josh-Pastners-contract-366424341.html

Recent season summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_Memphis_Tigers_men%27s_basketball_team

I read the contract talk article and all I can say is that coach Pastner has a good agent.

Contract talk article:

Recent season summary:

If Pastner chooses to leave on his own accord why does Memphis owe him anything. He simply resigns. He might actually have a buyout of his own to get out but from how you stated it probably not.

If Pastner chooses to leave on his own accord why does Memphis owe him anything. He simply resigns. He might actually have a buyout of his own to get out but from how you stated it probably not.

Guesswork here, but it makes sense that his agent says if you don't settle, then we stay and you owe $10MM. Cut us a deal

and we leave.

I believe Ford had to sign up with someone else within 30 days of his demise from OKS in order to get the full salary guarantee from OKS. He really had no time to waste thinking about what vacancy might or might not open and whether or not he might like it better elsewhere. He needed, and got, a deal within 30 days.

I believe Ford had to sign up with someone else within 30 days of his demise from OKS in order to get the full salary guarantee from OKS. He really had no time to waste thinking about what vacancy might or might not open and whether or not he might like it better elsewhere. He needed, and got, a deal within 30 days.

No. The stuff I read said he just needed to prove he was looking for a job to get paid.

Contract talk article:

Recent season summary:

What do you mean Memphis is now stuck with a coach the players and fans don't want? The fans are thrilled to get rid of pastner.

Additionally, they don't owe him anything when he left for Georgia tech. To be clear the article was written in the context of "if we fire pastner how much is he owed as part of his buyout"

What do you mean Memphis is now stuck with a coach the players and fans don't want? The fans are thrilled to get rid of pastner.

Additionally, they don't owe him anything when he left for Georgia tech. To be clear the article was written in the context of "if we fire pastner how much is he owed as part of his buyout"

When I wrote my post, Pastner had been rumored to be hired by G Tech but had not yet been hired. Memphis had been stuck with Pastner for 4 years and his $10,6 million salary with no buy out !! Absolutely. Memphis is extremely lucky. No one was coming to take Crews off our hands.

No. The stuff I read said he just needed to prove he was looking for a job to get paid.

That's what I saw too, but I think he had to report he was looking throughout the year (monthly, quarterly). Other than working for TV, how do you continue to prove you're looking in an industry that only hires a couple months out of the year?

That's what I saw too, but I think he had to report he was looking throughout the year (monthly, quarterly). Other than working for TV, how do you continue to prove you're looking in an industry that only hires a couple months out of the year?

Update your LinkedIn

I find it exceedingly unlikely that any major institution or corporation would guarantee anyone (after firing him) 3 years of salary pegged at a cool $2.4 M per year, based upon the sole condition that they have to show they are looking for a job. This is not the government unemployment payments line. Did you happen to read the actual contract signed by OKS and Ford?

I find it exceedingly unlikely that any major institution or corporation would guarantee anyone (after firing him) 3 years of salary pegged at a cool $2.4 M per year, based upon the sole condition that they have to show they are looking for a job. This is not the government unemployment payments line. Did you happen to read the actual contract signed by OKS and Ford?

They don't gaurantee it to him after firing him. They gaurantee it to him when they hire him. Once he is fired with years of guaranteed employment left on his contract he has a duty to mitigate his damages. To show he is fulfilling that duty he has to be looking for other employment.