Current Player Transfer Rumors

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not talking about guys that want to transfer.

So some of you all think Coach Ford is going to force someone out? I don't get the sense he will do that.

He's said that the job isn't a quick fix, and I doubt he feels he's under any pressure to win immediately, so why force out someone who wants to be in the program when he hasn't even seen what they bring to the table?

He's said that the job isn't a quick fix, and I doubt he feels he's under any pressure to win immediately, so why force out someone who wants to be in the program when he hasn't even seen what they bring to the table?

It probably doesn't take much time to realize a few of these soon to be juniors should not be playing at this level. These kids aren't Ford's recruiting mistakes.

Wasn't it reported that Chris May told the team after the Crews firing that there was no guarantee that the scholarships of the returning players would be renewed?

With the signing of Henriquez, one of the players is off of scholarship. The guess would be Hines, because there wouldn't likely be an official announcement. It would be nice if Stu did some digging or perhaps an insider has some insight on the plan for Hines. If we sign Bess or somebody else, then gotta hope Jolly is packing.

I just kind of guessed that if Ford was going to "force" anyone out, it wouldn't happen until after the semester ended. You don't want anyone giving up on school or becoming a bad teammate if you force them out in April when the other guys left. Plus like ACE said, we need to open a scholarship. Obviously, you'd think Hines, but maybe Ford wants to keep Hines around for depth in the backcourt?

I just kind of guessed that if Ford was going to "force" anyone out, it wouldn't happen until after the semester ended. You don't want anyone giving up on school or becoming a bad teammate if you force them out in April when the other guys left. Plus like ACE said, we need to open a scholarship. Obviously, you'd think Hines, but maybe Ford wants to keep Hines around for depth in the backcourt?

Even if HInes' scholarship is taken back, he can still provide depth as a preferred walk-on type.

Even if HInes' scholarship is taken back, he can still provide depth as a preferred walk-on type.

True, but I could also see Ford wanting Hines' scholarship in his back-pocket in case there's a late transfer or incoming freshman who wants to come here.

I know Ford supposedly said on the radio that he isn't expecting any more transfers but not sure what else he's going to say. I just think there's a chance now that the semester is over that we may see another guy or two leave.

True, but I could also see Ford wanting Hines' scholarship in his back-pocket in case there's a late transfer or incoming freshman who wants to come here.

I know Ford supposedly said on the radio that he isn't expecting any more transfers but not sure what else he's going to say. I just think there's a chance now that the semester is over that we may see another guy or two leave.

Unless I'm missing something, Hines' scholarship is no longer in Ford's back-pocket, it is being used by our last recruit, a new upgraded AH. As of today our 13 scholarships are spoken for as follows (this assumes no more transfers and not renewing Hines' 1 year gift scholarship):

MC

RA

BJ

MB

DR

AG

MN

JB

EW

2 transfers

Moore

Johnson

_______

You're right Cowboy, but I'm saying maybe Ford wanted to get rid of a Jolly or Gillmann to open up Henriquez's scholarship so that he can hang on to Hines' just in case. We'll find out over the next week if anyone else is going to leave.

Your math is fine bauman, but with two red shirts that means we only have 11 players in the team. Considering what we have in the team this is a bit thin.

Depth of under performing players is not good either - especially if there is a reluctance to let kids go their Senior year. Also, depth can be filled immediately with the release of current players who are replaced with the freshmen eligible to play this Fall. At the same time, if we are going to suck for another year, then I honestly wouldn't mind going with 9 healthy players this year and landing 2 more transfers who have to sit out this year.

Disagree on AG. I think he could actually help. Sees the floor well and is a good passing big man. Ball does not stick in his hands. His problem is he can't defend the basket. Lack of strength really hurts him. If he can get stronger I think he can help.

The so called 9 healthy players (left overs from last season) is still something that has to be determined. There is no guarantee that Crawford, Bartley, Gillman, or Welmer, all of which were affected by injury last year, will be fully healed and capable of playing to the full extent of their abilities. Recovery is oftentimes partial, not complete.

I still haven't seen anything I really like with AG. I don't care who, but Jolly or Gillman need to go. Neither will contribute.

I'd be fine with both being shown the door. But if only one does, it really needs to be Jolly.

Disagree on AG. I think he could actually help. Sees the floor well and is a good passing big man. Ball does not stick in his hands. His problem is he can't defend the basket. Lack of strength really hurts him. If he can get stronger I think he can help.

Agree with you, Willie. My only problem is that he now has had 3 years to develop his body and the best I can tell he still is not there. I wonder why kids who sign with a program while in high school don't immediately start working on adding strength and weight. See also, Welmer who is still a bag of bones. I know he broke his foot last year, but he had his senior year of HS, his year of prep school and last year to develop and he hasn't done it.

Agree with you, Willie. My only problem is that he now has had 3 years to develop his body and the best I can tell he still is not there. I wonder why kids who sign with a program while in high school don't immediately start working on adding strength and weight. See also, Welmer who is still a bag of bones. I know he broke his foot last year, but he had his senior year of HS, his year of prep school and last year to develop and he hasn't done it.

To add to what you are saying EW will be a 21 year old freshman so he is not a teenager just coming out of high school, where is the beef?