Ford Press Conference Thread

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see how Ford got the OSU and SLU jobs. He killed it during the interviews and can really sell himself. It sounds exciting but I can't overlook how mediocre his record was at OSU. He should bring some pretty good talent here, but I doubt it will be as good as his talent at OSU, unless he lands the top local recruits like Tilmon, Goodwin, Ramey, and Gordon. We'll likely be winning some preseason championships in a couple years but it may or may not translate to wins on the court.

Meh. I've been starting to look more at the guy's history and how he literally built a winning program from scratch at Eastern Kentucky, and you can see the same improvement at UMass. I don't even think he was recruiting top talent at those places but he still built winning programs regardless. You could look at his lack of success in the tournament as a learning process for him. The tournament itself is kind of a crap shoot, but maybe he's learned some lessons about what it takes to win those kinds of games and that will hopefully translate into greater success here at SLU. There is way less pressure on him here than at OSU, and that could also translate into him being way more successful in the long run. I'm excited to see how he molds this program.

Good post concerning attendance but before you go off on the 'blue hairs' you should consider how many of the younger alums don't support the program because if they did you would see a heck of a lot more in the attendance column.

It is easy to throw the sarcastic comments concerning the 'blue hairs'...............you will be there some day sonny but in the mean time maybe you and other younger alums should spend some money supporting the program and don't worry about who stands or not. There is not an age restriction as to who can buy season tickets that I am aware of.

In addition, maybe the student section could be a little fuller instead of only those nights when they offer free pizza or free BBQ..............

Have a nice day

I spend a lot of time and money at games. I have no problem with older fans. I have problems with older fans telling me to sit down at basketball game.

More off I have problems with "older fans" telling people like my 60 year old Father, who is as rabid as any student, to sit down DURING BASKETBALL GAMES.

My feelings about the hire is he should be a success here and it won't take a decade. One only has to look at his first D-1 stop Eastern Ky . This team was a perrenial loser coming off seasons of 3 wins and 6 wins...high school facilities, stuck in the middle of nowhere in a bad conference. Yet in the 3rd season , Ford had them at 22 wins and in the NCAA. tourney...pretty unbelievable. Say what you want about SLU vs Ok St but we are light years ahead of EKU.

Bottomline...He has shown he can win anywhere...and do it quickly. This should be the beginning of good times again.

I want Ford to succeed at SLU but this is factually incorrect (as have been other statements concerning Ford). Ford was coach at Eastern Kentucky for FIVE years and had a winning percentage of .433 (with the liberal scheduling of non-DI wins like Webster U as his conference record in the weak Ohio Valley was .350). You are correct that they were terrible before he got there and likely was a hard place to recruit to. He eventually got a team good enough to win the conference tournament in a one-bid league and earn a 15 seed. For publicity sake playing and losing to Kentucky was a good story. There are lots of coaches that have done more in the Ohio Valley.

He was only 3 years at UMass and a weekend conversation with a UMass fan convinced me that his recruiting there was a bit overstated (Forbes, Lowe, Harris and a lot busts). A lot of the better players from that time other than Forbes (Freeman, Lasme, Milligan,etc.) were Lappas recruits (I assumed he was the architect of the NIT teams in that time but my friend reminded that Lappas had some good recruits who Ford convinced to stay and that Ford seriously underachieved with a good team in his 1st year). The notion that he has recruited well in the A-10 is mixed (unless you consider keeping some good players around that the previous coach recruited) and little to no evidence in the Ohio Valley.

He was only 3 years at UMass and a weekend conversation with a UMass fan convinced me that his recruiting there was a bit overstated (Forbes, Lowe, Harris and a lot busts). A lot of the better players from that time other than Forbes (Freeman, Lasme, Milligan,etc.) were Lappas recruits (I assumed he was the architect of the NIT teams in that time but my friend reminded that Lappas had some good recruits who Ford convinced to stay and that Ford seriously underachieved with a good team in his 1st year). The notion that he has recruited well in the A-10 is mixed (unless he consider keeping some good players around that the previous coach recruited) and little to no evidence in the Ohio Valley.

Ford's best year at UMass was the same year that Soderberg finished about 10 spots lower in the RPI. Soderberg got fired after that season.