Ford Press Conference Thread

Good post concerning attendance but before you go off on the 'blue hairs' you should consider how many of the younger alums don't support the program because if they did you would see a heck of a lot more in the attendance column.

It is easy to throw the sarcastic comments concerning the 'blue hairs'...............you will be there some day sonny but in the mean time maybe you and other younger alums should spend some money supporting the program and don't worry about who stands or not. There is not an age restriction as to who can buy season tickets that I am aware of.

In addition, maybe the student section could be a little fuller instead of only those nights when they offer free pizza or free BBQ..............

Have a nice day

Get off my lawn!!!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post concerning attendance but before you go off on the 'blue hairs' you should consider how many of the younger alums don't support the program because if they did you would see a heck of a lot more in the attendance column.

It is easy to throw the sarcastic comments concerning the 'blue hairs'...............you will be there some day sonny but in the mean time maybe you and other younger alums should spend some money supporting the program and don't worry about who stands or not. There is not an age restriction as to who can buy season tickets that I am aware of.

In addition, maybe the student section could be a little fuller instead of only those nights when they offer free pizza or free BBQ..............

Have a nice day

I'm realizing that outside maybe just a few venues most games aren't wild atmospheres. I think people's perceptions are skewed because they watch the Big Games on TV and yeah the crowds are pumped for those games but normally it's like it is at SLU. SLU attendance is OK, Students could be better, crowd gets into it when the games are good. Overall it's decent. Not my biggest concern.

Have a nice day

I know that the program struggled to boost season ticket holder numbers after moving into Chaifetz. Obviously attendance saw an uptick with the three year run of success, but does anyone know how that translated to season ticket numbers? I would also be curious to know those numbers after these past two seasons of terrible basketball. I guess SLU never releases information like that? My wife and I dropped our tickets before this season (had been in her family for over 30 years) and I know that the couple who sat directly in front of us did as well (we were in Roy's section).

I am not sure whether we would renew in the future, but we were just wasting the tickets the past few seasons, so it didn't make sense to keep getting them. I also regret that the Billikens incredible run of success coincided with me getting my MBA at SIU-E, so I missed out on a lot of fun those few seasons sitting in classrooms in Edwardsville (listened to big victories over Butler and VCU driving home from class).

I tend to agree that the support from young alums is pretty pathetic and there is no excuse for it, they offer season tickets to BOLD (Billikens of the Last Decade) for $100 per seat in sections 208-210. That is absurdly cheap. Makes me wish I had gone to a big state school with a football program.

A discussion for another day would be the overall popularity of college basketball compared to the rise of college football over the past 10 years. My interest in college basketball overall has never been lower and I think there is more to it than just SLU and Mizzou being terrible.

After reading several articles about the hiring, it appears the SLU administration chose Travis Ford over Bryce Drew and everyone else. He was their #1 choice. Upon further reflection, I have to say that I agree with the administration. I'm all in!

Next stop- THE BIG DANCE!!!

After reading several articles about the hiring, it appears the SLU administration chose Travis Ford over Bryce Drew and everyone else. He was their #1 choice. Upon further reflection, I have to say that I agree with the administration. I'm all in!

Next stop- THE BIG DANCE!!!

But they never would have interviewed Bryce Drew, right? I kind of question saying he was "their #1 choice" because if that is the case I would actually have an even lower opinion of our athletic department. I am fine with the hiring now, but I would be disappointed to hear he was our #1 choice from the jump.

But they never would have interviewed Bryce Drew, right? I kind of question saying he was "their #1 choice" because if that is the case I would actually have an even lower opinion of our athletic department. I am fine with the hiring now, but I would be disappointed to hear he was our #1 choice from the jump.

From a mterics point, the best choice of all the coaches mentioned in the search was Stallings. He had 4 A's in the last 6 years amd nothing lower than a B. But the Stallings ship sailed away early. After Stallings Fords numbers were the best (including Drew). When you throw in the economics (OSU payments) it was an easy choice .

My feelings about the hire is he should be a success here and it won't take a decade. One only has to look at his first D-1 stop Eastern Ky . This team was a perrenial loser coming off seasons of 3 wins and 6 wins...high school facilities, stuck in the middle of nowhere in a bad conference. Yet in the 3rd season , Ford had them at 22 wins and in the NCAA. tourney...pretty unbelievable. Say what you want about SLU vs Ok St but we are light years ahead of EKU.

Bottomline...He has shown he can win anywhere...and do it quickly. This should be the beginning of good times again.

Go Bills

I would be disappointed to hear he was our #1 choice from the jump.

Reportedly, May wanted to go after Coach K, but the other guys convinced him that K is too old.

Feel free to correct me, but as far as I can tell, other candidates were interviewed, but Travis Ford was the only coach that was offered the job. Bryce Drew was not interviewed, and he was not offered the job. Evidently, Ford was considered more desirable than Drew, and I agree.

Wiz, you talked about the metrics and the economics, the one factor that you did not mention is the fact that Ford probably interviews very well (I would be fairly certain of this considering his press conference and his facility with presenting himself). Another point you did not make is that in a formal search you (the hiring company) always interviews more than one person (even if the one person is the firm choice of the hiring company), in case that for some unpredictable reason the offer is not accepted by your choice candidate. In this case you can jump to option B, assuming such a candidate exists within the bounds of the search.

From a mterics point, the best choice of all the coaches mentioned in the search was Stallings. He had 4 A's in the last 6 years amd nothing lower than a B. But the Stallings ship sailed away early. After Stallings Fords numbers were the best (including Drew). When you throw in the economics (OSU payments) it was an easy choice .

My feelings about the hire is he should be a success here and it won't take a decade. One only has to look at his first D-1 stop Eastern Ky . This team was a perrenial loser coming off seasons of 3 wins and 6 wins...high school facilities, stuck in the middle of nowhere in a bad conference. Yet in the 3rd season , Ford had them at 22 wins and in the NCAA. tourney...pretty unbelievable. Say what you want about SLU vs Ok St but we are light years ahead of EKU.

Bottomline...He has shown he can win anywhere...and do it quickly. This should be the beginning of good times again.

Go Bills

When SLU was waiting for coach Drew to finish the season I asked you about coach Ford and you said not your first choice but a decent hire. After coach Ford's press conference and many posters feeling good about the hire you were spot on and I am finally excited about next season and I plan to attend games. Thank you everyone for getting me off the ledge, LOL.

Have a nice day

Consider how many people like myself that did not attend a university that had D1 basketball adopted SLU as their team and are stared at every time you yell and jump up and down. I was given seats close to Joe Wiley one game and Joe and others sat quietly, which is okay, and looked disgusted at me every time I get excited. There have been games I attended that people made fun of the how excited I was about seeing my beloved team play. I use no profanity and never belittle the team at games but I love my team and it is a treat to go, minus the last two seasons. Billiken basketball is my favorite above all other teams and sports in this city. My point is there is room enough for all of us and both sides should tolerated each other. I am glad to see all fans no matter if they are sitting are excited. I look forward to the days of coach Spoonhour when the arena was filled. Good to be off the ledge with the Travis Ford hiring.

I can see how Ford got the OSU and SLU jobs. He killed it during the interviews and can really sell himself. It sounds exciting but I can't overlook how mediocre his record was at OSU. He should bring some pretty good talent here, but I doubt it will be as good as his talent at OSU, unless he lands the top local recruits like Tilmon, Goodwin, Ramey, and Gordon. We'll likely be winning some preseason championships in a couple years but it may or may not translate to wins on the court.