Ford Press Conference Thread

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I hope Coach Ford does well at SLU. However, this sounded like the same presser from 2008 in Stillwater. The Cowboys never ran uptempo, and never pressed, as was said today. However, his teams played extremely hard and never gave up. He did bring some big time recruits, but Coach Ford had the most undisciplined offenses that were on display. He always could recruit a few big fish, but could never get a team. It always seemed like he had a bunch of athletic pieces that never fit. Coach Ford's undoing was the falling attendence the last few years, with this past year having only a couple thousand towards the end of his tenure. I hope he does bring in former players, as this never happened in Stillwater. I truly hope he can do what he said today for SLU, as it never came close in Stillwater. After going to 2 Final Fours and and Elite 8 in the previous 13 years prior to Coach Ford, needless to say there was quite the disappointment. He was never a fit in Stillwater so I want it to be a fit for him at SLU. He worked very hard, and like I said earlier, he did get his players to play hard and never quit, they just couldn't win or play good, smart, disciplined basketball.

So OrangePepper, you're telling me that coaches introductory press conferences are full of mumbo jumbo?

I will remain firmly in the prove it camp, despite the politician rolled out there today.

You are correct that most pressers are that way. After hearing Coach Fords "plan" for the Cowboys 8 years ago, today sounded like it was the same answers. The Cowboys never played uptempo and never pressed. In fact, I still don't know what Coach Ford runs as far as his offensive philosophy, except that it was incredibly inefficient. I hope he fits at SLU and it works, I really do. I don't want any fan base to endure a product you can't even watch.

In fact, I still don't know what Coach Ford runs as far as his offensive philosophy, except that it was incredibly inefficient...I don't want any fan base to endure a product you can't even watch.

You can't possibly know how familiar these two lines sound after the last two seasons here.

Majerus didn't give a sh*t and candidly I liked it. He big timed the local media and the local high school basketball community and I really enjoyed it. Those people are small time and shouldn't be catered to by a guy like Majerus. While that worked for Majerus who was going to have success regardless of whether you write nice things about him or send your players to him, those relationships are more important for lesser coaches. That is where I think a guy like Ford could be a welcome addition, he should be able to help on both fronts with his Midwest aw-shucks personality.

Agree and disagree. Yes, he big timed the local media and the local high school bball community and it worked for him - on the court.

Where it didn't work was at the box office. About the only person he gave the time of day to was Bernie Miklasz. Piss off the local media -- and he did -- and you'll end up with average attendance in the 8-9,000 range for a top 20 team. Bad. Charlie didn't have as good a team but packed the house in a much bigger arena.

Maybe Ford can do both.

Agree and disagree. Yes, he big timed the local media and the local high school bball community and it worked for him - on the court.

Where it didn't work was at the box office. About the only person he gave the time of day to was Bernie Miklasz. Piss off the local media -- and he did -- and you'll end up with average attendance in the 8-9,000 range for a top 20 team. Bad. Charlie didn't have as good a team but packed the house in a much bigger arena.

Maybe Ford can do both.

Good post, I agree. I was just happy to see some of the jack offs in the local hoops community and media get big timed by the SLU coach and then have to watch that team win at a historic level. Many of those guys have egos for no apparent reason and seem to enjoy toying with SLU.

Of course today was a dog and pony show that is what is expected. Now we have heard this up tempo thing from just about every coach we have had except for RM so we are use to knowing that the proof is in what we see on the court. Will Ford do like the others - who knows but he is going to have to win ultimately so he will have to figure it out or he will be gone in 3 years. Hopefully he has learned from his mistakes at OKS- time will tell. As I have said before, I am open to him until he shows I should not be.

You can't possibly know how familiar these two lines sound after the last two seasons here.

That does sound scary. Cripes, aren't there any of Rickma's old napkins in the files? Notes? Videos of his practices? Read Rick's book, Travis. It works.

Good post, I agree. I was just happy to see some of the jack offs in the local hoops community and media get big timed by the SLU coach and then have to watch that team win at a historic level. Many of those guys have egos for no apparent reason and seem to enjoy toying with SLU.

Thanks. Yea, I've been angry about us being treated like the little brother in this city for too too long. But honestly, we've been our own worst enemy with historically poor commitment - among other things.

But the University's commitment to top flight building and top flight coaches puts them clearly in the game. Now is the time to stroke those silly media egos, have them on our side. Trust me; there's a world-class MLB team a few miles down the street from SLU that could look down their noses at every two-bit media person and wannabe. But they treat 'em relatively like gold, all the way to 3+ million - year after year.

And while I know that today was a lot of coach-speak, exactly what you'd expect new coach to say, he's absolutely right. There is a tremendous opportunity here. Great facility, big market, history of big crowd support (still amazing Spoon averaged 16,000+ two years, #4 in country one of them,) a committed board of trustees and president, a very good education for the kids,great campus, an opening a mile wide with no NFL or NBA -- and a fan base waiting to come out of hibernation.

An eternal optimist I am. But we know 16,000 will come to watch Charlie's team - average. That's a fact. If done right -- good product and good marketing, squeezing demand into a much smaller 10,300-seat area should indeed make it the toughest ticket in town.

I hate to say this, I have always been a supporter of the coach in his role, however there are two sides to this coin describing what a head coach should be able to do:

1. In terms of being able to talk convincingly and carry the enthusiasm and support of the crowd, Ford definitely has proven to be a most capable person. He wowed them in the interviews and he wowed them in the press conference today. He aces the PR, showtime, portion of the deal. Crews was never very good at this.

2. The other side of the coin is, of course performance. We will not see this side until the season starts. Of course Crews was not very good at this either.

I really hope Ford is a true, solid guy capable of delivering. However nowadays we see entirely too many people that talk pretty and convincingly and plainly do not deliver. Let's hope Ford is not one of these ilk. We live in the era of all show and all look at me pretense, I hope he is not in that group of people.

I must say I am pretty turned off by the fact that he kept Platt as Associate coach without looking into what Platt has been doing for these last few years. I think this is not a good way to start after his triumphant public presentation. We will see, but color me skeptical at this time.

Remember the Governor of Illinois, now serving time, with the unpronounceable name, Blagogevicz or something like it. They were selling Blagogevicz sandwiches in Chicago after he was sentenced, these were, of course, boloney sandwiches. Let's hope our sandwich shops will not be selling Ford sandwiches in 3 or 4 years (again boloney sandwiches, why reinvent the wheel, just rename it).

I hate to say this, I have always been a supporter of the coach in his role, however there are two sides to this coin describing what a head coach should be able to do:

1. In terms of being able to talk convincingly and carry the enthusiasm and support of the crowd, Ford definitely has proven to be a most capable person. He wowed them in the interviews and he wowed them in the press conference today. He aces the PR, showtime, portion of the deal. Crews was never very good at this.

2. The other side of the coin is, of course performance. We will not see this side until the season starts. Of course Crews was not very good at this either.

I really hope Ford is a true, solid guy capable of delivering. However nowadays we see entirely too many people that talk pretty and convincingly and plainly do not deliver. Let's hope Ford is not one of these ilk. We live in the era of all show and all look at me pretense, I hope he is not in that group of people.

I must say I am pretty turned off by the fact that he kept Platt as Associate coach without looking into what Platt has been doing for these last few years. I think this is not a good way to start after his triumphant public presentation. We will see, but color me skeptical at this time.

Remember the Governor of Illinois, now serving time, with the unpronounceable name, Blagogevicz or something like it. They were selling Blagogevicz sandwiches in Chicago after he was sentenced, these were, of course, boloney sandwiches. Let's hope our sandwich shops will not be selling Ford sandwiches in 3 or 4 years (again boloney sandwiches, why reinvent the wheel, just rename it).

Since when did he announce he was bringing back Platt?