Ford Press Conference Thread

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Ford turns out to be that kind of guy, I guess. I just think it's a little weird that local media types like Frank and Bernie are playing up his "big time" angle coming from the Big 12 at the same time people here are talking about how he will be more down to earth and less big shotty toward local media.

They're one in the same. He's the kind of coach who will make them feel big-time, which is what they need - having their fragile sports guy egos stroked.

Majerus didn't give a sh*t and candidly I liked it. He big timed the local media and the local high school basketball community and I really enjoyed it. Those people are small time and shouldn't be catered to by a guy like Majerus. While that worked for Majerus who was going to have success regardless of whether you write nice things about him or send your players to him, those relationships are more important for lesser coaches. That is where I think a guy like Ford could be a welcome addition, he should be able to help on both fronts with his Midwest aw-shucks personality.

Also, Soderberg lacked charisma and Crews was inarticulate.

I can see how Ford would make a good impression at a kid's kitchen table.

They're one in the same. He's the kind of coach who will make them feel big-time, which is what they need - having their fragile sports guy egos stroked.

Winner. Winner.

And SLU should be lucky that a coach like T. Ford has graced St. Louis with his presence.

(I'm coming around on the Ford hire - but will never come around on sport's radio hosts).

If he can be a "big time" version of Spoonhour, then more power to him. I'd love to see local reporters other than the P-D beat writer du jour actually attend games again.

Also, Soderberg lacked charisma and Crews was inarticulate.

I can see how Ford would make a good impression at a kid's kitchen table.

I might be in the minority, but I didn't mind Crews in interviews. He came across as a lot more likable there than in some of the stories floating around. Also lacked Majerus' ADD stream-of-consciousness.

I might be in the minority, but I didn't mind Crews in interviews. He came across as a lot more likable there than in some of the stories floating around. Also lacked Majerus' ADD stream-of-consciousness.

I agree that he was generally likeable, but he wasn't a clear communicator, IMO.

I presume you mean Justin Tatum. There's no way Jayson Tatum would be there: he's a Dukie and he should be in class at Chaminade.

Jayson went to school today (flew back from Chicago at 5 am) and won Gatorade National Player of the Year. I imagine Justin tried to get over there for the press conference, too. It was a surprise to him: "I'm glad I came to school today!"

Everybody's talking about how these coaches present themselves to the media, and that's important - Soderberg could be distant and too much in his own head, Majerus didn't give a , and Crews didn't say much - but there's more to it than that in 2016. None of those guys engaged with social media, nor did they make themselves available in a way that satisfies media or fans today. There's just more to it than there used to be.

Ford seems pretty active from a media standpoint in every sense. That's good. The media could ignore our program when we have a coach who doesn't reach out to them enough to make them happy and/or when we're not playing well, but if there's a guy who's more active and who they like, we can stay in the public eye a lot more.