Ford and Assistants

3Bill

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaches with east and midwest ties. Good to see us putting together a staff that actually makes sense.

Yea, I guess that is fine. I honestly would not know the difference between a "good" assistant coach hire and a bad one.

I know that Rutgers was absolutely terrible this year...is that supposed to contribute to my assessment?

If one of Ford's weak points is in game coaching, hopefully one of these guys could help him there. I don't get the 'East Coast' thing if we are trying to seal the borders, but we'll just have to see how it plays itself out, huh?

mhg

Because we play 10+ games in that region every year.

It allows a kid to get away from home, while still getting to play in front of family a few times. A luxury not tons of teams have.

If one of Ford's weak points is in game coaching, hopefully one of these guys could help him there. I don't get the 'East Coast' thing if we are trying to seal the borders, but we'll just have to see how it plays itself out, huh?

mhg

I heard Ford say in one of his radio interviews that in his experience, there are a number of players from the larger east coast cities that want to play somewhere away from home, but still want to go to school in a decent sized city. He feels that SLU is well-positioned to get these players, especially considering that our A-10 road games will give these players a chance to play in front of their families. Maybe this hire will help with that.

Played in college, head coaching experience, A-10 experience, Big-10 experience, strong NY/east coast ties - don't see anything wrong with this hire.

I find it interesting that Ford is not just hiring guys he knows/coached with back in the day. My presumption is that he thus is recruiting these coaches to a bottom dwelling A10 school loacted in STL with some sort of vision/plan - curious to see how this all plays out.

FWIW, Rutgers has two transfers who are leaving. A freshman guard who didn't do much, but also a 6-8 sophomore power forward who averaged 8 ppg and 6 rpg... looks like he would be a nice pick-up for somebody.

I would bet unless Rutgers wants to get rid of those players their conditional release to transfer will exclude the schools that their former coaches head to.

I would bet unless Rutgers wants to get rid of those players their conditional release to transfer will exclude the schools that their former coaches head to.

Maybe but isn't that usually reserved to Head Coaches. Also SLU doesn't compete with Rutgers

That's fantastic. Hard to believe but looks like it might be a great opportunity for the billikens. Nice short term bandaid to help make the best out of what might be a couple of dismal years

This looks very promising. One tweet said that he wouldn't have any restrictions on the schools he can contact. I assume that means for being granted his release.

I may have missed it in the article, but how many years of eligibility does he have left?

This looks very promising. One tweet said that he wouldn't have any restrictions on the schools he can contact. I assume that means for being granted his release.

I may have missed it in the article, but how many years of eligibility does he have left?

The other tweet at that article mentioned he was brought in by Van Macon and is attached to the assistant. That bodes well.

A serviceable big man that led his team in Rebounds? Yes that's what we need.

-was looking at RA's stats from this past season and he averaged 6.3pts and 6.2rebs so the Foreman kid is similar and doesn't have much variance between all game stats (7.9 & 6.0) and Big10 games (8.0 & 5.8)

-kid would probably be a nice addition

-shocking that RA had a higher ft% than AY and MY

-Rutgers was minus 20.2 in conf scoring margin, yikes

So apparently Rutgers (presumably Van Macon) was recruiting these guys that SLU has also offered:

2016 SF Aleem Ford

2017 PG Nate Pierre Louis

So maybe that'll help.

From ESPN recruiting: "Strengths: A physically gifted southpaw with a high ceiling, Foreman has high level athleticism and the type of frame that could evolve into a big time body. He's mobile and bouncy around the rim, able to make his presence felt at both ends, and has some ability to face-up"

Also had an offer from VCU according to ESPN.