What happened??

The Wiz

Here is what I have been able to piece together from my sources.

It looks like SLU just ran out of time. The key was the Stallings hire by Pitt. Drew and Stallings were both options. but once Stallings was officially gone they brought in Ford for a 2nd interview. Another win by Valpo last night meant 2 more days of waiting. With Ford still interviewing elsewhere, and the potential of the other candidates disappearing quickly and Drew still unable to commit, SLU felt it couldn't wait anymore.

Did it turn out as I thoght it would....No....Did it turn out as the insiders thought (no, I am not an insder)...No...Did it turn out the way those who were in charge and running the process

thought ....No....It is as I said in previous posts...there is no done deal until it is announced.

Imagine the 30 second clock as SLU brings the ball up the floor. After a few passes , they are still beyond the arc and there is less than 10 seconds less. They have a wide open shot from the 3 but instead fire a pass to a player who is 2 feet from the basket....2 second left ...they take the shot ... was it the right shot?....Did SLU make the basket.??....You will have to wait till next year and beyond to see if the basket (the choosing of Ford) was good....tick ...tick...tick

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like SLU just ran out of time. The key was the Stallings hire by Pitt. Drew and Stallings were both options. but once Stallings was officially gone they brought in Ford for a 2nd interview. Another win by Valpo last night meant 2 more days of waiting. With Ford still interviewing elsewhere, and the potential of the other candidates disappearing quickly and Drew still unable to commit, SLU felt it couldn't wait anymore.

Did it turn out as I thoght it would....No....Did it turn out as the insiders thought (no, I am not an insder)...No...Did it turn out the way those who were in charge and running the process

thought ....No....It is as I said in previous posts...there is no done deal until it is announced.

Imagine the 30 second clock as SLU brings the ball up the floor. After a few passes , they are still beyond the arc and there is less than 10 seconds less. They have a wide open shot from the 3 but instead fire a pass to a player who is 2 feet from the basket....2 second left ...they take the shot ... was it the right shot?....Did SLU make the basket.??....You will have to wait till next year and beyond to see if the basket (the choosing of Ford) was good....tick ...tick...tick

So you're saying they indeed hired Ford....

If they key was Stallings' hire, why didn't SLU match Pitt dollar for dollar or exceed it? If Chaifetz/Novelly are the illSLUmanati fronting the cash, you'd think we could go toe-to-toe with a middle of the pack ACC school...I am shaking my head at why we couldn't land Stallings.

If Wiz's timeline is correct (we will never really know), Chris May should be fired. That would make 3 straight L's for his administration in the only sport that really matters at SLU. Big East, hiring Crews, and then this botched hiring. I enjoy the womens team as much as anyone, but hiring Lisa Stone doesn't give you a pass to royally screw up everything you touch with the only revenue sport you have.

SLU waited 18 days. 18. It wanted Travis Ford so bad it couldn't wait 2 more? If true, that is amazing.

Wasn't it reported that Stallings was never an option? I think I saw somewhere that he indicated he wasn't interested immediately.

I must have missed that, LLL. In any event, you'd have to think money would have lured him or at least swayed him a bit. But I'm not an insider with sources close to the program ;)

Of the three primary options in play- Ford, Drew and Stallings, Ford appears the most solid. Look at the video of their teams' performance over the last three years. Valpo plays in a second tier conference, Drew has not coached anywhere else and largely performed in the shadows of his dad and brother. To assume he can recruit with the big boys is a big assumption. Stallings, as a coach, blew a number of games at Vanderbilt, whose teams underperformed given their talent level. Oklahoma State competes in a league with Kansas, Baylor, Texas, etc. Yes, they had a bad year this last year, but he has recruited, developed and taken teams to the NCAA tournament.

Where else was Ford interviewing? I haven't heard of anywhere..

If Wiz's timeline is correct (we will never really know), Chris May should be fired. That would make 3 straight L's for his administration in the only sport that really matters at SLU. Big East, hiring Crews, and then this botched hiring. I enjoy the womens team as much as anyone, but hiring Lisa Stone doesn't give you a pass to royally screw up everything you touch with the only revenue sport you have.

-I don't get blaming May for the Beast snub, I put that entirely on FrB

SLU waited 18 days. 18. It wanted Travis Ford so bad it couldn't wait 2 more? If true, that is amazing.

-if Drew was option 1 and there were indications he would come and be a home run or grand slam you wait 2 more days, seems like he was not an option if we can't wait 48 hours

If they key was Stallings' hire, why didn't SLU match Pitt dollar for dollar or exceed it? If Chaifetz/Novelly are the illSLUmanati fronting the cash, you'd think we could go toe-to-toe with a middle of the pack ACC school...I am shaking my head at why we couldn't land Stallings.

Because going toe to toe was not enough. Stallings liked the Pitt job...we would have had to far excced to land him and then it was still a maybe. and that wasn't going to happen. However , Stallings was still in play until he took the Pitt job...then the dominos started to fall fast. Again there are no done deals until they are done.

All I can think about is ford failed with Boone Pickens money at a public school in a conference not wildly proclaimed for academics.

If he truly is the pick (which I pray he isnt) what makes us believe he will be successful at a private academically focused school with none of the advantages he had at OK st?

The guy has consistently choked in post season. Back in the A10 days my memory is that he was typically beat by the x and o coaches. I guess if we all want to admire nice players this would be good. Myself I want some belief we will win. Forgive for not believing.

If Travis Ford is indeed our coach we ed up

So did we actually make the hire or not?

It seems like it is done....I think SLU just wants to "officially" announce it....BUT I stand by the quote I have used through out....It is not a done deal until it is announced.

Because going toe to toe was not enough. Stallings liked the Pitt job...we would have had to far excced to land him and then it was still a maybe. and that wasn't going to happen. However , Stallings was still in play until he took the Pitt job...then the dominos started to fall fast. Again there are no done deals until they are done.

I like your analysis here, Wiz. I still think the right hire would have been Inglesby and let him sew his head coaching oats, rather than Ford.

+1

Why in God's name can't they wait 48 more hours for their #1 candidate? If May lets Travis Ford be in control of the situation then he needs to be fired.

You must have patience, we will have a coach. Once we do we have to give him a chance to do his thing before the "hate and fire" buttons are pressed and the process starts again. Chris May is not going to be fired over this search, nope, that is why they hired a search firm. One of the functions of the search firm is to assume the blame for anything that goes wrong.

You must have patience, we will have a coach. Once we do we have to give him a chance to do his thing before the "hate and fire" buttons are pressed and the process starts again. Chris May is not going to be fired over this search, nope, that is why they hired a search firm. One of the functions of the search firm is to assume the blame for anything that goes wrong.

That's not completely true. This is a pivotal hire in Chris May's regime. I hope he made the right choice for the sake of the Program

Chris May will be fired if this coaching choice doesn't work out. That is how it works.

Also a search firm wasn't hired for CYA. These search firms are hired for their ability to be covert and recruit people like Drew, who are still playing.