What happened??

The Wiz

I agree it's a crucial hire, and my comment in bold is slightly tongue in cheek, but I will say after reading this board just about every day for the past 9-10 years, there seem to be some posters on this board who seem to have an inflated sense of grandeur for this program, and recently it seems that there is this groundswell of sentiment that if we do not hire Drew, then our program will instantly tank closer to Mercer, IPFW, or Chicago State. I think a coach Ford, or Rice, or the ND assistant, are all equally as likely to help rebuild the program in a gradual process. There is no quick fix here.

We were also incredibly spoiled by the Majerus hire.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On what day was Ford fired? Otherwise stated when is the 30 days up?

fired on march 18th. so bullsh!t about a rush to hire him. i frankly have no interest in watching mid-upper level D1 talent try to play like an NBA team and be on the bubble or take 1st round exits every year. i want better than ford. my dog had to be put down yesterday. this is crap. give me a good coach SLU. for fuh's sake. i just see no way that we have the potential to belly up w/ 1.5-2 mil a year and still not excite the fan base.

I agree it's a crucial hire, and my comment in bold is slightly tongue in cheek, but I will say after reading this board just about every day for the past 9-10 years, there seem to be some posters on this board who seem to have an inflated sense of grandeur for this program, and recently it seems that there is this groundswell of sentiment that if we do not hire Drew, then our program will instantly tank closer to Mercer, IPFW, or Chicago State. I think a coach Ford, or Rice, or the ND assistant, are all equally as likely to help rebuild the program in a gradual process. There is no quick fix here.

Agree...we needed a capable replacement for Coach Majerus at the time he became ill. Crews wasn't capable of adding to what had already been built. Next HC has to hit the ground running and it won't be done overnight.

Exactly. And even that hire wasn't an instant home run.

Good point. It will take time for any coach. I think we aren't too far away from respectability (top 150 - not a 'bad loss'), but this team won't be dancing in 1-2 years. Even 3 would be overachieving.

Agree...we needed a capable replacement for Coach Majerus at the time he became ill. Crews wasn't capable of adding to what had already been built. Next HC has to hit the ground running and it won't be done overnight.

I agree. And hindsight helps here. What THAT team needed under those circumstances was stability, which JC provided that season. (Disappointing blow out to the under-seeded Oregon team aside) That team performed so well in the face of all the adversity, became a lovable, national headline, and then the AD and administration were handcuffed-- How can you fire/not hire full time the national coach of the year?!? It would have been awful publicity.

Good point. It will take time for any coach. I think we aren't too far away from respectability (top 150 - not a 'bad loss'), but this team won't be dancing in 1-2 years. Even 3 would be overachieving.

You're incredibly right... unless Jolly puts in a monster Conklin Summer, puts the team on his back, and rolls the Bills all the way to the 'Ship, amiright?!?! #OneShiningMoment

The timeline makes sense. The problem is not only that Ford was option #2, but that they liked him so much they couldn't wait. Any of the assistants would have been better than Ford.

If you think any of our assistants would be better than Ford then you are way off base. Crews failed partly because of who his assistants were, they were unable to compensate for his shortcomings.

If you think any of our assistants would be better than Ford then you are way off base. Crews failed partly because of whose his assistants were, they were unable to compensate for his shortcomings.

Not our assistants. The assistants we were rumored to be looking at. Inglesbly, Otzelberger, etc

Are you saying that they were going to wait to announce the hire until a later date? Like after the NIT wrapped up to make it seem as though Drew was a real possibility.

You made that up all by yourself. I'm saying, like I've said this whole time, that Stu isn't getting any information from SLU sources..

After reading many of the articles that mention Ford being hired by SLU, it seems that they all refer to Stu's article as the primary source. If Stu's 'insider' is indeed accurate don't you think other outlets would've independently verified by this point?

Pestello's blunders thus far have made Biondi look like the reincarnation of Fr. Reinert, or at least Reinert 2.0.

You have been a Billiken hater since the day you first posted and continued to post under numerous other names--spewing crap and lies. I will never understand why you don't just find another school to "support" because you obviously do not have anything but hate for SLU.