What happened??

The Wiz

I've been thinking along these lines as well. Maybe we've been watching too much House of Cards lately, but another conspiracy theory I've been thinking goes along these lines as well. What IF:

Drew is our main target, and in principle our people and his people have agreed to a deal for after the season, BUT the AD hadn't heard from Drew lately, so they, like us, get antsy. Then, Drew/Valpo win, extending our misery two more days. Uh-oh, Panic. So, the search firm immediately leaks to Stu the Ford hire, in order to get Drew's camp to freak out and contact our AD, thus proving how interested they are.

Search firm leaked to/took advantage of Stu, thus preventing the AD from having to look bad and taking the fall. P-D comes across as the bad guy. Now, Drew's camp fully tips their hand at how interested they are/recommits to coming to SLU once Valpo's season ends. Ford probably has no idea any of this happened.

Also, Oswald acted alone, Elvis is still alive, and this is all for naught because we should hire Leon Rice over either these guys.

I don't like how high you're getting my hopes. I'm resigned that Ford is the man.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have all heard what a good recruiter Ford supposedly is. Don't discount the likelihood Travis came in and hit a home run in his interviews. If he's a good recruiter that translates into "the gift of gab". I would have hoped his record (or lack thereof) would have withstood those "interviews " though. Sighhhhh

If it's Ford and it's a money issue, maybe the good doctor wasn't as heavily involved as we previously thought. I have trouble believing that Chaifetz would be ok with this hire if he was a decision maker in the process.

So, let me make sure I get this right. If it's Drew or someone the Board generally supports, then Chaifetz was involved. But, if its someone the Board generally disapproves of, then Chaifetz wasn't involved. Nice deal for him.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath. It's pretty obvious no one on the street really knows what's happening. Maybe we are waiting 2 days, maybe there's going to be a press conference about Ford or someone else many on this Board don't support. I don't know, but it's pretty clear no one else on this Board does either.

So, let me make sure I get this right. If it's Drew or someone the Board generally supports, then Chaifetz was involved. But, if its someone the Board generally disapproves of, then Chaifetz wasn't involved. Nice deal for him.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath. It's pretty obvious no one on the street really knows what's happening. Maybe we are waiting 2 days, maybe there's going to be a press conference about Ford or someone else many on this Board don't support. I don't know, but it's pretty clear no one else on this Board does either.

Very well said

Bonwich billikan would have never given us insight. He would only chastise us for conjecture so his being an insider never helped us.

+1. Still, this is all very confusing.

If Ford was chosen because (1) SLU had a tighter budget then we thought and (2) of Ford's deal with OSU, then it could stand to reason that Chaifetz wasn't $upporting this hire as strongly as many of us (myself included) thought.

All i'm suggesting is that maybe we misread how involved Chaifetz was in this process.

I don't like how high you're getting my hopes. I'm resigned that Ford is the man.

If Ford is the man, so be it. Even if he was 'Plan B,' he can't do much worse than the past two years.

There isn't a single coach out there, living or deceased, who could transform our program instantly (or ever) into the great powerhouse many on this board irrationally want/believe us to be.

If Ford is the man, so be it. Even if he was 'Plan B,' he can't do much worse than the past two years.

There isn't a single coach out there, living or deceased, who could transform our program instantly (or ever) into the great powerhouse many on this board irrationally want/believe us to be.

I think this is off base. I don't think anyone on here truly believes we are going to instantly be NCAA Tourney-worthy from Day 1 under a new coach. This is a rebuilding process. Everyone is aware of that reality. It still doesn't detract from the fact that this is a crucial hire.

If Ford was chosen because (1) SLU had a tighter budget then we thought and (2) of Ford's deal with OSU, then it could stand to reason that Chaifetz wasn't $upporting this hire as strongly as many of us (myself included) thought.

All i'm suggesting is that maybe we misread how involved Chaifetz was in this process.

I think that now that SLU has a more public big money booster we'll see an evolution of the normal fanbases opinions of the big money boosters. At many other schools there's a love hate, mostly hate with the big money boosters and their power of influence over the Athletic Departments. We canonized Dr. C when he helped with the arena and Majerus. Now if his fingerprints are on this hire we can bring out the pitchforks. It's just how it works.

Our little SLU is all grows up. Your grows up your grows up and your grows up!

I think that now that SLU has a more public big money booster we'll see an evolution of the normal fanbases opinions of the big money boosters. At many other schools there's a love hate, mostly hate with the big money boosters and their power of influence over the Athletic Departments. We canonized Dr. C when he helped with the arena and Majerus. Now if his fingerprints are on this hire we can bring out the pitchforks. It's just how it works.

Our little SLU is all grows up. Your grows up your grows up and your grows up!

This could be a case of the AD winning out over Chaifetz on who the next coach would be. That would explain why the candidate has a buyout to help pay the salary. This was the biggest splash May could afford without the program's biggest booster on board.

Maybe they leaked a false story to put the pressure on Drew

I can't see it. Stu knows where he got his information. If the local beat man (with hardly anyone else in town covering the team) is being played by the AD, what kind of coverage would they expect to get down the road?

Any chance the deal is sewn up, but we are giving Ford a chance to talk to recruits during what would be a dead period if he were affiliated with a program? This way he can at least get in touch with Gak (sp?) and others to let them know his plan and see if they want to come with...

I think this is off base. I don't think anyone on here truly believes we are going to instantly be NCAA Tourney-worthy from Day 1 under a new coach. This is a rebuilding process. Everyone is aware of that reality. It still doesn't detract from the fact that this is a crucial hire.

I agree it's a crucial hire, and my comment in bold is slightly tongue in cheek, but I will say after reading this board just about every day for the past 9-10 years, there seem to be some posters on this board who seem to have an inflated sense of grandeur for this program, and recently it seems that there is this groundswell of sentiment that if we do not hire Drew, then our program will instantly tank closer to Mercer, IPFW, or Chicago State. I think a coach Ford, or Rice, or the ND assistant, are all equally as likely to help rebuild the program in a gradual process. There is no quick fix here.