What happened??

The Wiz

-if Drew was option 1 and there were indications he would come and be a home run or grand slam you wait 2 more days, seems like he was not an option if we can't wait 48 hours

This is what most infuriates me...Ford isn't good enough to forego waiting on Drew in my opinion.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris May will be fired if this coaching choice doesn't work out. That is how it works.

Also a search firm wasn't hired for CYA. These search firms are hired for their ability to be covert and recruit people like Drew, who are still playing.

And how do you know that a search firm is not hired, besides their many other advantages, for CYA control?

Who knows what really happened if there is a presser announcing Ford before the week is out, probably none of us find out. If it is Ford then it is time to back him and the Bills team and hope for the best.

Wiz, you do not know what happened. Please stop spreading misinformation. Everyone is now blaming the ad for not waiting two more days based on your theory.

If Drew were interested, OF COURSE they would wait two days!!

I have said in a number of posts , it was his job unless he refused. This happrned once before with Iowa St. He "turned them down" or did he? Many think Iowa St either turned him down or didn't want to get involved in a long negotiation ..so they moved on. In this case like the Iowa St case we will really never know what exactly happened. Time to move on

I'm still in awe of how everyone on this board has lost their minds regarding SLU's status in college basketball with regards to hiring a coach.

I'm playing devils advocate here, but exactly about our history/current state of program makes it a certainty that we could hire Stallings or Drew (aside from the fact neither ever expressed any public interest!)?

Just because we allegedly have an increased budget to hire a staff, doesn't mean that we can just have our pick of the available coaching pool. We are barely relevant on the national level.

Presuming we hire Ford, wouldn't it be nice to have a coach with a proven track record of recruiting? Isn't that what everyone on this board complains about (also, let's be honest, it's not THAT hard to qualify at SLU - we all knew a bunch of dumb people who went there, too)? Increasing the talent on our roster alone gives us a chance to compete in the A10 year in and year out which would be an improvement for us.

Whoever the coach is, let's move the program forward and - if they aren't the long term solution - hit our home fun.

Where else was Ford interviewing? I havent seen anything and feel like he is not the hottest of commodities

I'm still in awe of how everyone on this board has lost their minds regarding SLU's status in college basketball with regards to hiring a coach.

I'm playing devils advocate here, but exactly about our history/current state of program makes it a certainty that we could hire Stallings or Drew (aside from the fact neither ever expressed any public interest!)?

Just because we allegedly have an increased budget to hire a staff, doesn't mean that we can just have our pick of the available coaching pool. We are barely relevant on the national level.

Presuming we hire Ford, wouldn't it be nice to have a coach with a proven track record of recruiting? Isn't that what everyone on this board complains about (also, let's be honest, it's not THAT hard to qualify at SLU - we all knew a bunch of dumb people who went there, too)? Increasing the talent on our roster alone gives us a chance to compete in the A10 year in and year out which would be an improvement for us.

Whoever the coach is, let's move the program forward and - if they aren't the long term solution - hit our home fun.

Money trumps history. Why in the world would a guy like Larry Brown go to Southern Methodist University?

I have said in a number of posts , it was his job unless he refused. This happrned once before with Iowa St. He "turned them down" or did he? Many think Iowa St either turned him down or didn't want to get involved in a long negotiation ..so they moved on. In this case like the Iowa St case we will really never know what exactly happened. Time to move on

Wiz, did someone tell you this or is it your own intuition?

I can't believe we wouldn't wait two more days if there was still a chance with Drew. Ford wasn't going anywhere.

Drew had to have said no but the timing is still weird as why did stu wait until 30 minutes after the valpo game to announce ford.

Still hoping deep down this is just a huge post dispatch screw up and Drew is in play...

I don't understand this type of criticism of our fan base. St. Louis media doesn't seem to get it AT ALL. Having to listen to Karraker and Bernie and Frank bastardize our disappointment is driving me crazy. Nobody on here thought we could get a Big Time hire. NOBODY. But to suggest that people like Ingelsby, Otzelberger, Caputo, or even Drew were outside our scope is utterly and truly ridiculous.

Being disappointed about hiring Ford does not equate to having an unrealistic expectation of our program's status in college basketball.

The timeline makes sense. The problem is not only that Ford was option #2, but that they liked him so much they couldn't wait. Any of the assistants would have been better than Ford.

This is my problem. I don't understand the panic over Ford maybe going elsewhere between now and Thursday night.

Money trumps history. Why in the world would a guy like Larry Brown go to Southern Methodist University?

Well, with SMU, I'm sure it's a LOT more money and he gets to literally do whatever he wants. Plus, living in Highland Park > St. Louis.

I just wish we hired a young coach on the rise instead of get into silly arguments about why Stallings chose Pitt over SLU.

-doesn't that lead to Drew saying no thanks or not interested?

You would certainly think so, and I'm hoping that is indeed what happened. That doesn't address the issue regarding why Ford was in the mix with seemingly other viable (and better, in my opinion) options available (Rice, Sendek, Bennett, Ingelsby, Caputo, etc). Sure, they could've ALL said No, but I would have a hard time believing that.

That said, I will support Ford if he is our coach.

Wiz, did someone tell you this or is it your own intuition?

I had heard from a number of sources , it was his job to turn down...I believe the AD did all they could do without waiting too long..

Stallings, as a coach, blew a number of games at Vanderbilt, whose teams underperformed given their talent level.

When I followed the Big 12 more closely, that was Ford every season. He was a punch line for fans of other programs. No matter how much talent he had (and that included McDonald's All-Americans) he would end up in the middle of the pack in the conference standings (it looks like he did finish 3rd in the 2012-13 season with Marcus Smart, Markel Brown, Le'Bryan Nash, and others).

I had heard from a number of sources , it was his job to turn down...I believe the AD did all they could do without waiting too long..

I agree that is true but that's also a far cry from the handshake agreement you said before. Lots of people ran with the whole agreement thing and that's what is frustrating to me.

You are insinuating two different things. He either changed his mind and turned us down, after you said we had an agreement in place, or SLU is royally screwing itself by thinking we can't afford to wait any longer. If all this Drew info came from someone other than "the Wiz" he would be getting killed right now

On top of all this SLU has denied the hire. This is so SLU it hurts. Mickey Mouse U

I agree that is true but that's also a far cry from the handshake agreement you said before. Lots of people ran with the whole agreement thing and that's what is frustrating to me.

Sorry that some people thought an agreement was a contract. We gave it a good shot at 19 days. And Drew was not the only thing we did for 19 days. The powers that be understood that...you don't have a deal until it's announced.

Here is what I have been able to piece together from my sources.

It looks like SLU just ran out of time. The key was the Stallings hire by Pitt. Drew and Stallings were both options. but once Stallings was officially gone they brought in Ford for a 2nd interview. Another win by Valpo last night meant 2 more days of waiting. With Ford still interviewing elsewhere, and the potential of the other candidates disappearing quickly and Drew still unable to commit, SLU felt it couldn't wait anymore.

Did it turn out as I thoght it would....No....Did it turn out as the insiders thought (no, I am not an insder)...No...Did it turn out the way those who were in charge and running the process

thought ....No....It is as I said in previous posts...there is no done deal until it is announced.

Imagine the 30 second clock as SLU brings the ball up the floor. After a few passes , they are still beyond the arc and there is less than 10 seconds less. They have a wide open shot from the 3 but instead fire a pass to a player who is 2 feet from the basket....2 second left ...they take the shot ... was it the right shot?....Did SLU make the basket.??....You will have to wait till next year and beyond to see if the basket (the choosing of Ford) was good....tick ...tick...tick

Third try, Wiz...where else was Ford interviewing???