Welcome To Billiken Nation, Travis Ford!

aj_arete

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To recap:

• SLU unofficially fires Jim Crews 7-10 days before season
  • SLU actually fires Jim Crews 3 minutes after season is over
  • SLU says it wants a head coach with a high level of success
  • SLU hires a "search firm"
  • SLU waits 18 days
  • SLU hires a coach that is roundly disliked and was just fired from his last job.

Good job. Good effort.

This is exactly what is mind blowing to me.

The worst part of this hire is that we allowed ourselves to get excited about Drew or another decent candidate. Instead, SLU went and gave us another mediocre offering, just taking all the air out of the balloon.

If this was what they were going to settle on, why wait this long? Why make us believe that they might land Drew? Seriously? That is what upsets me the most on this. We got our hopes up and this us what we're rewarded with?

I am torn...

I am trying to convince myself this is like the Stone hire. Someone did not perform as well in the B12, so SLU may be a better spot for them.

I, however, am puzzled why it took almost 3 weeks to do. And, admitedly, the hire may work out, but it is not very inspiring. I mean, at least with Drew and Rice there is hope of a high ceiling. It is harder to have that hope with someone who was just fired, and the consensus seems to be he is a bad Xs and Os guy.

It is also tough because we just had two really years. My patience is relatively thin (especially since I never ever ever wanted Crews as a coach, so I have been waiting 4 years).

I know he had a few down years at OK st. but going to the tourney 5 out of 8 years is pretty damn good. I just think him and OK.ST were a bad fit.

Career Record (major schools): 16 Years, 278-226, .552 W-L%

Schools: Eastern Kentucky (61-80), Massachusetts (62-35) and Oklahoma State (155-111)

Conference Champion: 1 Time (Reg. Seas.), 1 Time (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 6 Years (1-6), 0 Final Fours, 0 Championships