Welcome To Billiken Nation, Travis Ford!

aj_arete

So essentially, if I have this correct, SLU is acquiring a coach who is owed 2.4 million by his previous institution. OSU is on the hook for the balance between his new salary and that 2.4 million. That is his maximum earning potential. I could say the dumb thing and imply slu went cheap on this hire, but until we know if he got the job we won't know financials.

Is there anything to stop SLU from offering him a 6 year deal with the first few years the pay being $100k and the last 3 paying him $1.9mm. It works out to $1mm a year but allows Oklahoma state to pay the majority of it the first few years.

The piece about him having to seek employment is interesting but doesn't explain the timing of this. It should be obvious based on his two previous interviews that he has been seeking employment.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The piece about him having to seek employment is interesting but doesn't explain the timing of this. It should be obvious based on his two previous interviews that he has been seeking employment.

Unless I'm not understanding this correctly, wouldn't it be a win-win for both parties if something was done quickly?

. I cannot comment with credibility on his game-day coaching, preparation, and style, but I also suspect the majority of the posters blasting the hire on this board cannot either.

Soderberg's SLU teams were 3-1 against "better" UMass teams. I watched those games and saw a poor coach. I know UMass fans who saw them play all the time and poorly coached is an accurate consensus. He got some great players and they had talent. They underachieved. He rolled the balls out and said "Go, fight, win!". I think teams are better served with good coaching and I enjoy well coached teams.

• 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, ACE said:

Interesting to look at the perception of Ford was when he got hired vs. now. Of course, public opinion could quickly swing back the other way once we actually start playing games.

Based on his performance so far, I was dead wrong about Ford. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/29/2016 at 9:32 PM, Dwayne's_World said:

Not sure any recruits will look too highly upon Ford after his failure in Stillwater.... Ugh

Looking back..... we were all so.... wrong?

Point of this post: Bryce Drew just got his second Top 10 commit to VANDERBILT. 

He would have been an excellent hire, too. 

Good thread bump I was very wrong about the hire, and today I understand what SLU saw in him.

Looking back next year, Hoosier and a few others were right on about the hire. 

I am very happy with the hire.  I like what coach Ford accomplished with last seasons players and his recruiting.

Among the candidates being discussed to hire, wanted Ford.  Recruiting ability trumps coaching in college ball.  And based on last year's coaching job looks like Ford can do both.

If we get the three guys back, with those coming in next year, wow, what a deep talented team in 2018-19.  And this team could dance this season as well if the breaks go SLU's way.

14 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Drew has a line on a 3rd 5 star, Romeo Langford from New Albany, Indiana.  Lanford's final three are IU, Kansas and Vandy.  Langford is ranked 5th in the nation by most sources.  He won't sign until this spring.