According to Frank.......

brianstl

Frank is misinformed.

I love Frank's enthusiasm for SLU but he's rarely that most informed person when it comes to the Bills. As others have pointed out, if you multiply $850k by 2 you get $1.7mm. Its not clear if Frank simply did that math by himself or if he actually knows that we had to pay that full amount.

Didn't you claim that Crews wasn't high paid for an A10 coach and he was actually the second highest paid coach in the A10 when that was said?

yes - the fact that shaka and archie both make approx double what crews does you can see this is a fact. are those not the schools in the a10 we are comparing ourselves to?

I love Frank's enthusiasm for SLU but he's rarely that most informed person when it comes to the Bills. As others have pointed out, if you multiply $850k by 2 you get $1.7mm. Its not clear if Frank simply did that math by himself or if he actually knows that we had to pay that full amount.

Crews contract included cost of living increases. I am guessing they were 3% a year. First of the four years was $856,000, second $882,000, this season $908,000, next season $935,000 and the final season $963,000. So he would have probably had around $1.9 million remaining if he finished out his contract.

Jeeze what a ripoff for such a horrible coach.

Pretty much. Zero incentive to perform if this info is true. Why do anything at all? Miserable contract. No other school was ever going to hire Crews. That contract should have been around half of what it was.

Crews contract included cost of living increases. I am guessing they were 3% a year. First of the four years was $856,000, second $882,000, this season $908,000, next season $935,000 and the final season $963,000. So he would have probably had around $1.9 million remaining if he finished out his contract.

Nobody is really questioning whether Crews was owed $1.7 to $1.9mm if he coached the next two years. What is in question is whether Frank actually knows that he was paid the full amount or if he is just guessing that he was paid the full amount.

Nobody is really questioning whether Crews was owed $1.7 to $1.9mm if he coached the next two years. What is in question is whether Frank actually knows that he was paid the full amount or if he is just guessing that he was paid the full amount.

Which is why this thread was titled according to Frank. Who knows what he knows for sure or doesn't.

I wouldn't surprise me if his buyout was really high. His salary was higher than most of us thought at first and more than it should have took to sign him. The contract was obviously terribly negotiated on SLU's part.

The Crews buyout was $1.75 million, Chaifetz is driving the process and they are willing to go very high on the salary scale.

Wow! if that was the buyout cost. On the positive side it shows that SLU is willing to spend some money to improve the basketball program. How much will the tickets go up next year after spending that kind of money?

Sometimes a buyout can be nearly the full amount or even more for breaking a contract. I understand Frank isn't always right or even close to it, but I'm not entirely surprised. If it is true, that is some smart negotiating on Crews part.

Sometimes a buyout can be nearly the full amount or even more for breaking a contract. I understand Frank isn't always right or even close to it, but I'm not entirely surprised. If it is true, that is some smart negotiating on Crews part.

-and not smart on the side of the U

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6290035

That was the extension I mentioned earlier after the final four run. And even if you choose to look only at the 1.4-1.5m figure that came later, that's still not double or even approximately double Crews' salary.

Way to totally avoid the Archie comparison you brought up in the first place, BTW.

Wow! if that was the buyout cost. On the positive side it shows that SLU is willing to spend some money to improve the basketball program. How much will the tickets go up next year after spending that kind of money?

Ticket sales would have dropped considerably had we kept crews and had a third straight losing season so in my view, it was fiscally needed to part ways even if a big booster didn't make the payoff (which most folks believe happened).

Assuming Dr Chaifetz or even a combination. Of boosters stepped up, the budget is in no need of raising ticket prices because crews was bought out and let go.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6290035

That was the extension I mentioned earlier after the final four run. And even if you choose to look only at the 1.4-1.5m figure that came later, that's still not double or even approximately double Crews' salary.

Way to totally avoid the Archie comparison you brought up in the first place, BTW.

The link I provided was the contract shaka was under when crews signed our contract. I prefer to compare contracts signed at similar times, as it tends to be better for comparison. If you take the time to read the article you will see that his total comp was far beyond 1.5. Bonuses for certain wins and ticket sales, a car, 10k a year for clothes etc. Shaka was certainly making close to double what crews was.

Dayton has done an exemplary job keeping archie's current contract details secret. All rumors have him north of 1.5. There is no real point in arguing this since no facts are published but anyone in the know will tell you the same thing here.

Not debating Crews did not work out as our head coach. Yes he was in the top 5 of a10 coaches salaries during his tenure here but the fact remains there is s huge gap in A10 coaches salaries and from a dollars perspective he was nowhere near the top. This is a fact unless you consider $650k+ insignificant, he was not compensated near what the top coaches in the a10 have been making in recent years

I can tell you that even in the days since Coach Crews was let go, tickets sales and giving to the Billiken Club have seen an increase already!

Ticket sales would have dropped considerably had we kept crews and had a third straight losing season so in my view, it was fiscally needed to part ways even if a big booster didn't make the payoff (which most folks believe happened).