Kevin Lisch

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, Old guy said:

If you can have multiple citizenship you should be able to have multiple passports. I have known born Canadians naturalized in the US who have both passports.

I wonder if since all the passports are now linked to the same site when you go through customs that it does not matter which passport you use?

Kevin has an Italian passport too?  The US recognizes dual nationality, and tri-nationality is also possible.  In many cases, this is the result of parentage ---- a mother born in Italy, a father born in Germany and then both naturalized as US citizens who have a child in the US.  Passports are based on nationality and the laws of the country to which you are a citizen.  The only stipulation I can see on forfeiting your birth-right US nationality is whereby the individual voluntarily applies for other citizenship -- then you MAY lose your dual nationality status in the US.  Seems like Kevin is doing this now.  But it is a "may" lose situation and not a "will" lose situation.  In any case, entry into the US is easier with the US passport as anyone leaving this country should know and is required of all such returning citizens. 

I guess you have to be a citizen to play in the Olympics so it makes sense for Kevin to do so.

15 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Kevin has an Italian passport too?  The US recognizes dual nationality, and tri-nationality is also possible.  In many cases, this is the result of parentage ---- a mother born in Italy, a father born in Germany and then both naturalized as US citizens who have a child in the US.  Passports are based on nationality and the laws of the country to which you are a citizen.  The only stipulation I can see on forfeiting your birth-right US nationality is whereby the individual voluntarily applies for other citizenship -- then you MAY lose your dual nationality status in the US.  Seems like Kevin is doing this now.  But it is a "may" lose situation and not a "will" lose situation.  In any case, entry into the US is easier with the US passport as anyone leaving this country should know and is required of all such returning citizens. 

I guess you have to be a citizen to play in the Olympics so it makes sense for Kevin to do so.

Kevin got the Italian passport while he was playing over in Europe so he would not count against the number of nonEuros  on the team. 

http://www.sportando.com/m/en/europe/france/106591/kevin-lisch-gets-the-italian-passport.html

Interesting ----- wonder if the color of the passport means anything. Please note, it also says Lisch's mother is Italian which leads back to my statement in the post quoted above.  Kids born to multi-national parents usually get the citizenship of both. 

Here in the US, you can have a blue-covered passport or a red-covered passport.  The blue is the most common and typical and is what is issued to any citizen wanting a passport for travel outside of the United States.  A red-covered passport is issued through channels for official government travel.  This essentially puts you first in line for the firing squad should your plane, train or boat be overtaken by terrorists with untoward feelings for the US.  I don't know if that is common across the world or in this case signifies anything special.  Again, you can renounce your citizenship and declare for another country and the US sees that renouncement in different ways.

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Interesting ----- wonder if the color of the passport means anything. Please note, it also says Lisch's mother is Italian which leads back to my statement in the post quoted above.  Kids born to multi-national parents usually get the citizenship of both. 

Here in the US, you can have a blue-covered passport or a red-covered passport.  The blue is the most common and typical and is what is issued to any citizen wanting a passport for travel outside of the United States.  A red-covered passport is issued through channels for official government travel.  This essentially puts you first in line for the firing squad should your plane, train or boat be overtaken by terrorists with untoward feelings for the US.  I don't know if that is common across the world or in this case signifies anything special.  Again, you can renounce your citizenship and declare for another country and the US sees that renouncement in different ways.

Taj, you've watched too many Clancy movies ;)

15 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

There are also black passports for woopty-doo federal officials.

No Bobby -- take it from a guy who sits through federal travel briefings and security alerts, the most recent one last week on 7/03 ---- there are a number of things you are encouraged to do for certain reasons ..... this is one of them and the reason noted is why. 

Now, I will admit to NEVER seeing a black passport as hsmith talks about but that may be well above my pay grade and in an area I don't need since mine is blue.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

No Bobby -- take it from a guy who sits through federal travel briefings and security alerts, the most recent one last week on 7/03 ---- there are a number of things you are encouraged to do for certain reasons ..... this is one of them and the reason noted is why. 

Now, I will admit to NEVER seeing a black passport as hsmith talks about but that may be well above my pay grade and in an area I don't need since mine is blue.

Do you mean if you have the option to take either your blue or red passport to always take the blue one? That sort of diplomatic attache' and pouches stuff intrigues the out of me. I've never heard of a red/black U.S. passport before. I usually carry my passport card on me if I'm in Washington State or Southern California for work, if I want to cross the border. I think those cards are very handy. Good info, Taj. Thank you!

On 11/07/2016 at 10:05 AM, cheeseman said:

I am not sure you can hold multiple passports that are all in effect.  This would be a nightmare for Security Agencies around the world.  You would have to pick one to use.

Of course you can. I have four valid passports (UK, US, Australia and Canada)... Can get awkward though when departing and entering countries due to airline information (can only enter one passport into the system) until one gets the hang of it. In any event, this is getting easier with self check-in immigration procedures.

I don't get why people still think Americans can't have dual citizenship, yet know of old sportsmen like Brett Hull and half the US soccer team (all those German-Americans are still German). Old US law allowed for dual citizenship by birth but naturalisation elsewhere was potentially illegal, although not directly. That was changed a long time ago. There's certain instances where doing an act towards another country could cause revocation of US citizenship (I would argue, say, joining the parliament of another country), but again it's unclear and the law is untested.

Incidentally, I used to work in the Australian foreign affairs and when on official business our passports are green as opposed to the normal dark blue.