Odds for staying/ replacing??

So, any predictions?? ALL must be made by Saturday midnight:

In some other thread, some were thinking SLU might put up as $2 million for a new coach. I'm not sure which alternate universe that is coming from, but sign me up. Back here on earth, nowhere near that is even imaginable, IMHO.

Moreover: Personally, I just doubt that SLU/ May/ Dr. C will have the guts to pull the plug. This may come as music to some ears (I'm thinking Motorhead maybe, or even Debby Boone). But I will boldly go where most men dare not go --

THUS: My official, end-of-season prediction: Coach Crews stays for at least another year of Jimmy-Ball. Possible minor tweaks to staff; probably not even that.

ps: this is a serious prediction of what will ultimately happen in the next month or 2. Anyone else??

pps: I just sort of realized this morning we had a game last night. My, how the mighty have fallen (i.e. who cares ??)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling May will tell Crews that he can either be fired or retire, Crews rides off into the sunset with some sort of parachute financially. Budget for the new head man should be around 800-850k. That budget should be just fine for the candidate that would consider SLU an upgrade over their current position. Only wildcard is if the good Doc C ponies up additional funds to push the budget to 1mil, then that will open more doors obviously. But I will stick with a coach in the 800-850 range.

The good Doctor is the reason they pulled the plug on Sodie after a 20 win season and spent top level money on his replacement. Why would anyone think he wouldn't have the guts to pull the plug after two disastrous seasons under Crews?

The good Doctor is the reason they pulled the plug on Sodie after a 20 win season and spent top level money on his replacement. Why would anyone think he wouldn't have the guts to pull the plug after two disastrous season under Crews?

I can't recall Sodie's contract status at that time, but that would be the only issue. Otherwise, good point.

So, any predictions?? ALL must be made by Saturday midnight:

In some other thread, some were thinking SLU might put up as $2 million for a new coach. I'm not sure which alternate universe that is coming from, but sign me up. Back here on earth, nowhere near that is even imaginable, IMHO.

Moreover: Personally, I just doubt that SLU/ May/ Dr. C will have the guts to pull the plug. This may come as music to some ears (I'm thinking Motorhead maybe, or even Debby Boone). But I will boldly go where most men dare not go --

THUS: My official, end-of-season prediction: Coach Crews stays for at least another year of Jimmy-Ball. Possible minor tweaks to staff; probably not even that.

ps: this is a serious prediction of what will ultimately happen in the next month or 2. Anyone else??

pps: I just sort of realized this morning we had a game last night. My, how the mighty have fallen (i.e. who cares ??)

If this is the case, then God help Billiken basketball.

Do you think it is even a possibility Crews will pull the plug himself? I realize it is a lot of money to walk away from, but not everybody is all about money. If he was happily retired before, it had to be better than this experience. He,s made an extra 1.7 mil. Why not walk away?

Do you think it is even a possibility Crews will pull the plug himself? I realize it is a lot of money to walk away from, but not everybody is all about money. If he was happily retired before, it had to be better than this experience. He,s made an extra 1.7 mil. Why not walk away?

Why would he walk away. The job pays $850,000/y. Not like he needs another job after this one.

He not an alum or has any great affinity to the school. So I forget about volunteering to retire. It will be just another 20 loss season and maybe a thousand spectators in the stands. He has totally succeeded in trashing a 3 time top 25 program.

The longer he stays the longer it will take for this program to rebound.

No way Crews is back after back to back 10ish win seasons.

Agreed. May and staff understand how bad it is right now. They simply can't afford to keep him another year.

to doc's question, I'll go with 95% certainty he is not coaching next year.

I say 90% likelihood Crews is gone after this season. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'm relying on the idea that the powers that be can't be so blind that they can't tell that this program is going nowhere positive in its current state.

I didn't post about it at the time, but I emailed Chris May a few weeks ago to express my concerns about the direction of the program. I'm not going to post the response here, but I'll say that there was no reference to anything beyond this season. Same deal when Stu Durando wrote the article a few weeks ago. Same thing with the response someone else here posted. The way I see it, if they were entertaining the idea of keeping him, there would be comments about a young team developing and a belief in Crews as the person to do that. There's been nothing related to that, so either Crews is gone, or the athletic department is even more clueless and incompetent that I thought, which is impressive because my expectations for them are pretty low.

Low attendance at home and low interest in the men's basketball program will be the end of Coach Crews after the last game of this season. I have no inside information but I think the AD and all involved were probably leaning that way and I think last nights loss to LaSalle proved to them without any doubt there has been no improvement with the team under these coaches. If the rumor about Chris Crutchfield is true that I read in the coaching candidate thread then they move quickly after Chris Crutchfield after the NCAA tournament is over for Oklahoma. If something like that is executed quickly and professionally by SLU it will restore confidence that has been lost and fan interest will greatly improve.

Doc Chaifetz attended the Fordham game and reportedly looked disinterested - no fist pumping and all that stuff we used to see. Hopefully that is a good sign. He cares enough to attend, but not overly giddy about a victory over lowly Fordham.

Thank goodness we lost to Dayton and the loss to LaSalle should be the final nail, if anybody in the administration still had a doubt. I don't think Chris May is much of a factor here. It seems it will come down to what Doc P and Doc C want.

This board will go into meltdown mode if he is retained.

I have a feeling May will tell Crews that he can either be fired or retire, Crews rides off into the sunset with some sort of parachute financially. Budget for the new head man should be around 800-850k. That budget should be just fine for the candidate that would consider SLU an upgrade over their current position. Only wildcard is if the good Doc C ponies up additional funds to push the budget to 1mil, then that will open more doors obviously. But I will stick with a coach in the 800-850 range.

My feelings exactly. Heard Frank C at lunch today. Talked about possible replacement for Crews. Made a strong case for Drew of Valpo. The only chance they have to sell tickets and receive donations next year is to replace Crews. They must see that.

Doc Chaifetz attended the Fordham game and reportedly looked disinterested - no fist pumping and all that stuff we used to see. Hopefully that is a good sign. He cares enough to attend, but not overly giddy about a victory over lowly Fordham.

Thank goodness we lost to Dayton and the loss to LaSalle should be the final nail, if anybody in the administration still had a doubt. I don't think Chris May is much of a factor here. It seems it will come down to what Doc P and Doc C want.

This board will go into meltdown mode if he is retained.

Dr Chaifetz looked as interested in the Fordham game as a visit to the dentist's office. Not animated at all.

This has been painful couple of seasons. Let's hope we begin a new era soon.

Does anyone know when Pestello gets back from the annual Biondi trip to China? Wasn't Biondi gone to China one time and that held something up with the basketball program?

Just a little something called "trying to get into the Big East"

Dr Chaifetz looked as interested in the Fordham game as a visit to the dentist's office. Not animated at all.

This has been painful couple of seasons. Let's hope we begin a new era soon.

I cant imagine Dr. Chaifetz wants his name attached with a program thats led by Jim Crews

If this is the case, then God help Billiken basketball.

God will be watching the Dayton Flyers. So will the Pope.

I am pretty convinced that I will try to pull myself away from following this team(after 25 years) if Crews is retained. If the administration doesnt care, why should anyone?

Crews has to go.

Low attendance at home and low interest in the men's basketball program will be the end of Coach Crews after the last game of this season. I have no inside information but I think the AD and all involved were probably leaning that way and I think last nights loss to LaSalle proved to them without any doubt there has been no improvement with the team under these coaches. If the rumor about Chris Crutchfield is true that I read in the coaching candidate thread then they move quickly after Chris Crutchfield after the NCAA tournament is over for Oklahoma. If something like that is executed quickly and professionally by SLU it will restore confidence that has been lost and fan interest will greatly improve.

Once Crews is gone I will be fully reinvigorated and ready for blue koolaid shots. We all should be. Lets clear this out and let the healing begin.