Who on our current roster would start for other A10 programs?

Billy Ken

Just wondering who else would even crack the top seven with VCU or Dayton? Only person I see is Bishop....thoughts? I know that each school is different and uses different skill sets for their offenses and defenses, but talent wise who from our current roster would be a top seven player on top A10 team? I do think we have a few guys that eventually can/will develop but it will take some time.

Reggie, Crawford, and Bishop if you are talking top seven of the top teams of the A10. Those three are keeping SLU somewhat competitive in games. I really appreciate the hard work of those players and that is the only reason I can watch and listen to every game to the last shot.

Reggie, Crawford, and Bishop if you are talking top seven of the top teams of the A10. Those three are keeping SLU somewhat competitive in games. I really appreciate the hard work of those players and that is the only reason I can watch and listen to every game to the last shot.

I have to agree with you CB.

Bishop, a young freshmen definitely has scoring potential. If he stays, I can see him up with past Billiken greats in the point totals. Reggie, from watching him being very raw (that's putting it nicely) is really starting to exhibit some nice moves around the basket. He has the potential of having a Conklin senior year. Crawford, hardest working player on the team. Even when he is off, he's grabbing key rebounds and moving without the ball well. You want someone like Crawford on your team. Being that Mike is graduating in May, hope he stays also.

Crawford for sure would likely be in the top 7 of most A10 squads. Bishop needs a little more aging but likely be able to crack most team's top 7. If Milik could get his head on straight he could crack most lineups. The question with him is, is there a coach out there that could cure his selfish approach to the game? He's got the skills for a great one on one game guy, but hoops ain't an individual sport. Reggie would be a good 10 mpg man on most teams. Neufeld maybe by his JR year. That's it.

no one

+1.

Although the thead title and the question you actually asked are two totally different things. I'm sure a lot of these chumps could start for other crap teams. None of these guys are cracking the top 7 for a conference champion team.

If Bobby Wehrli can play for Dayton, so can the guys mentioned above.

The issue is our guys would be better off in supporting actor roles. As it is, they are in starring roles with various limitations.

If Bobby Wehrli can play for Dayton, so can the guys mentioned above.

The issue is our guys would be better off in supporting actor roles. As it is, they are in starring roles with various limitations.

Correct. The knee jerk "no one" response is way off base, but not surprising. It's kind of amusing, because these are the same people who were whining that Grandy was in the rotation for a SLU team that was BETTER than VCU and Dayton. Also, have people forgotten who the 5th starter on a Top 10 SLU team was?... Jake Barnett. Ash clearly would have been an upgrade over Barnett in that role. MC, JB and RA would also be acceptable role players on a good team. We've got plenty of guys who would be decent role players on good teams. The problem is we don't have Top 3 caliber players who are capable of leading a team - KM, Jordair, and DE quality players are needed.

While I don't think we have a single player who would be a lead type of player for a decent program, I think we have a number of guys who individually would crack rotations.

1. Ash - I think physically Ash is the most obvious candidate with his strength, solid athleticism, and ability to rebound from the guard position and score at times going one on one. I think he could be a top 7 player for a decent program.

2. Crawford - has a fairly sound game all around. While certainly not a lead type of player, he does a lot of things at least fairly well and seems to buy into playing winning and sound basketball overall. Similar to Ash, I think he could be a top 7 player for a decent program.

3. Bishop - has proven to be able to score the basketball in conference play. While a bit inconsistent, he has proven to be a capable offensive player with the ability to score from the 3 point line and going to the basket and shows some play making ability. He could probably be a top 7-8 type player for a decent program at this point in his career. I am not sure what his ceiling is, but I like what I see from him early in his career.

4. Reggie - has shown recently that he can compete in the paint at this level. While not a top of the rotation type of player, he plays with energy and is showing the ability to finish and rebound of late despite being undersized and battles on the defensive end most of the time. I think he is a top 8-9 type of player for a decent program.

-Beyond that I think you could identify roles for a few of the sophomores, but it likely depends on the program as to whether or not they play. Milik has some individual ability and traits, but plays really dumb/soft basketball. Reynolds is another player with that one strength of drawing fouls, but he can provide instant offense and energy at times. I have not seen enough from Neufeld, but 6'11 is 6'11.

-Certainly not guys like Jolly, Gillmann, Bartley, Roby, or Hines in my opinion.

-I think Welmer would be on that top list, but I have not seen him play beyond the preseason trip.

In my opinion we do have players who could play for decent programs and fill roles, just not top end types currently (maybe Bishop will develop into that, I don't know and Welmer is an unknown). I guess it is not surprising that my 4 choices are the guys who have seemingly made us respectable when playing together (in addition to Hines who I don't think should be playing at this level despite not being overwhelmed). This also makes it apparent what I think of the sophomore class, but I was critical of that group when we signed them (really odd collection of players due to the overlapping of positions and skill sets).

-Certainly not guys like Jolly, Gillmann, Bartley, Roby, or Hines in my opinion.

Probably not a starter but I do believe that Bartley is injured and that his play has been hampered all year. I find no other explanation. A healthy Bartley would sure be helpful to this team.

Correct. The knee jerk "no one" response is way off base, but not surprising. It's kind of amusing, because these are the same people who were whining that Grandy was in the rotation for a SLU team that was BETTER than VCU and Dayton. Also, have people forgotten who the 5th starter on a Top 10 SLU team was?... Jake Barnett. Ash clearly would have been an upgrade over Barnett in that role. MC, JB and RA would also be acceptable role players on a good team. We've got plenty of guys who would be decent role players on good teams. The problem is we don't have Top 3 caliber players who are capable of leading a team - KM, Jordair, and DE quality players are needed.

That's why this is a silly question. Luc Longley started on three NBA champions. I've never seen Austin Eagleton play in a game, but if he had started on the three tournament teams I'm pretty sure we still would've been really good.

While I don't think we have a single player who would be a lead type of player for a decent program, I think we have a number of guys who individually would crack rotations.

1. Ash - I think physically Ash is the most obvious candidate with his strength, solid athleticism, and ability to rebound from the guard position and score at times going one on one. I think he could be a top 7 player for a decent program.

2. Crawford - has a fairly sound game all around. While certainly not a lead type of player, he does a lot of things at least fairly well and seems to buy into playing winning and sound basketball overall. Similar to Ash, I think he could be a top 7 player for a decent program.

3. Bishop - has proven to be able to score the basketball in conference play. While a bit inconsistent, he has proven to be a capable offensive player with the ability to score from the 3 point line and going to the basket and shows some play making ability. He could probably be a top 7-8 type player for a decent program at this point in his career. I am not sure what his ceiling is, but I like what I see from him early in his career.

4. Reggie - has shown recently that he can compete in the paint at this level. While not a top of the rotation type of player, he plays with energy and is showing the ability to finish and rebound of late despite being undersized and battles on the defensive end most of the time. I think he is a top 8-9 type of player for a decent program.

-Beyond that I think you could identify roles for a few of the sophomores, but it likely depends on the program as to whether or not they play. Milik has some individual ability and traits, but plays really dumb/soft basketball. Reynolds is another player with that one strength of drawing fouls, but he can provide instant offense and energy at times. I have not seen enough from Neufeld, but 6'11 is 6'11.

-I think Welmer would be on that top list, but I have not seen him play beyond the preseason trip.

In my opinion we do have players who could play for decent programs and fill roles, just not top end types currently (maybe Bishop will develop into that, I don't know and Welmer is an unknown). I guess it is not surprising that my 4 choices are the guys who have seemingly made us respectable when playing together (in addition to Hines who I don't think should be playing at this level despite not being overwhelmed). This also makes it apparent what I think of the sophomore class, but I was critical of that group when we signed them (really odd collection of players due to the overlapping of positions and skill sets).

What I love about this site is the insight I get from a post like this and from other posters. I love Billiken basketball and just a fan but so many on this site really understand basketball and players. I was really excited about the sophomore class but I was wrong. I thought posters were unfair to coach Crews but I was wrong about that too.

Probably not a starter but I do believe that Bartley is injured and that his play has been hampered all year. I find no other explanation. A healthy Bartley would sure be helpful to this team.

What can anyone tell us about Bartley and his injury or injuries? Any fellow students, insiders or anyone with knowledge? I am familiar with how long high ankle sprains can take and with how certain ligament injuries and stress fractures can be re-injured and become quite painful and limiting. Is that what has gone on here for these past 12 months?

What can anyone tell us about Bartley and his injury or injuries? Any fellow students, insiders or anyone with knowledge? I am familiar with how long high ankle sprains can take and with how certain ligament injuries and stress fractures can be re-injured and become quite painful and limiting. Is that what has gone on here for these past 12 months?

On Crews' radio show a few weeks back, he seemed to indicate that Bartley is still not 100%, that this is a lingering injury that only rest can heal. Crawford is likely in the same boat.

On Crews' radio show a few weeks back, he seemed to indicate that Bartley is still not 100%, that this is a lingering injury that only rest can heal. Crawford is likely in the same boat.

Jim Crews and Jim Platt are lingering injuries that only firing can heal.