Post-Fordham Observations

davidnark

I haven't been to a home game since we switched to the new lineup. I am astounded at how the under-recruited Bishop and walk-on Hines can play the point guard position at a level so much higher than all of the other guards on the roster. They also shoot it better from the three-point line, and they take it to the hole with much more confidence than the other guards. The knock against both of them is that they are way under-sized.

In the front Court, Crews also made the mistake of favoring height over rebounding, defense, and any kind of semblance of playing offense in the system. The net of all of this is I believe we have addition by subtraction taking place with this team when Jolly and Gillman aren't playing. Unfortunately, we still don't have anywhere near the talent to compete to make the NCAA tournament with this group. However, the big lesson I have taken away for the past two seasons is that you should never favor height at any position over speed, effort, and basketball talent.

There are many examples of smallish point guards to choose from --- Chaz Williams, Shawnta Rogers, Aaron Hutchins, Tyus Edney, Tu Holloway, Mugsy Bogues, etc., etc. All had talent and there lies the issue. Let's comeback to Crews' assessment in the preseason -- the article where he said either we don't have a point guard or we have many. I think we've found out that it is the former rather than the later.

The three "main" choices at point --- Bartley, Reynolds and Roby -- simply are not points. Roby is too mechanical. Bartley picks his dribble up most time crossing midcourt. And Reynolds is best effective with the ball when driving and flopping his head back and forth to draw the foul. That's a scorer, not a distributor. Hines, while small, does see the court better. He tried a one-handed, dribble-fire-pass into someone in the lane against Fordham that was knocked away. At least he is looking. Same with Bishop although of the two, he is more apt to pull up and shoot and that's okay. Just seems sad that with five guards recruited to this roster, the two "throwaways" are the best.

The four guard lineup, while placing us at some disadvantage, does work best because you then have four guys capable of and wanting to handling the ball. Of course turnovers go down. So too does rebounding but zero minus infinity is still zero. I also believe the defense has gotten more active -- not better mind you -- but more active with four mobile guys all with what appears to be good court sense.

We also seem to have taken the usual bad spots out. As noted the three guards all have problems but Jolly and Gillmann just seem to have no clue either and become stoppers of the flow in their own right. Yarbrough seems to do what he wants which hurts more than helps and Reggie is a turnover about to happen UNLESS you get him the ball on the blocks where he is most comfortable.

All in all, the talent level is low and the staff seems hamstrung to teach and instruct and grow the ballplayers.

at risk of starting a billikens.com meltdown; and to my very great surprise:

we are definitely seeing genuine improvement among some of the players. In a couple cases, really great improvement. Which speaks to this coaching staff's abilities to bring about improvement. For starters, check out the latest headline:

That is pretty impressive; & it's not happening with smoke and mirrors, folks. This kid is shocking the world, including me.
Hines is improving since in all honesty he was a complete non-factor last year and as recently as last month! As for the 2 juniors starting: finally, Reggie is flexing his considerable muscle and learning to finish; and Crawford is just turning into a great all around player. By the way, even MN is moving the needle a little...
As for the others (mainly our beleaguered and often vilified sophomores): well, whatever. Personally, I have not given up on MY but my patience. like the staff's is greatly tested. But we are now witnessing Reggie turning some kind of corner, so let's hope MY does next year as well. Maybe after all, it's mainly a matter of talent with these sophomores -- or lack thereof.
But let's give some (tiny) credit here: we are seeing some significant improvement among at least several of our players -- mostly the guys starting. Coincidence? Attitude/ teachability?? It certainly explains WHY they are starting, and the rotation has shaped up. Whatever the case, I'm sure there are some on here who will dislike this analysis, given the calls for a new coach (and please, spare me, I'm not commenting on that issue). But for everyone who has screamed about lack of improvement in these players (including ME): well, we are seeing some.

Doc, I'll have what you're having.

I think Bishop has surprised all of us with his offensive ability. He may have truly been a diamond in the rough from a recruiting standpoint and I hope he stays once Crews is fired.

Hines was a walk-on before this fall.

Together, they've formed a more effective backcourt than any other we've put together this season. If a freshman (or former walk-on who never played before) doesn't show improvement over the course of the year, it's because he hasn't had many minutes. These guys have had a rare opportunity for others in their shoes: major minutes down the stretch. So they've naturally improved.

But the only reason they've had a chance to go in there, prove themselves, and learn and get better is due to the absolutely stunning, logic-defying lack of improvement by the rest of this team. The sophomore class, with 6 guys, could be a total loss. That's insane. Ash is playing like a senior. Reggie is playing his butt off, even though he still doesn't "get it," as far as I can tell. Crawford has been an effective player from the start and his effective play in increased minutes despite an injury show how valuable he is. But none of them are in "most improved player" territory; it's more a function of them being the guys getting the minutes.

Next year, keep the freshmen. A developing big man like Neufeld and a dynamic guard like Bishop deserve to play out careers here. Keep Reggie and Crawford for senior consistency. Let's see if Zeke is the big-time shooter he's been billed as. But we can scrap the rest of this roster and start over. If they don't leave, they need to be recruited over immediately.

Not sure if I am incorrect on this, but didn't Reggie show consistency down the stretch last year too? I'm all for him and Crawford anchoring this team next year as seniors, but I remember coming into the season expecting more out of RA. Bishop has been enjoyable to watch since becoming a full-time player, and should only improve more with additional work over the summer and a little bit more time in the weight room. He is probably the guy I am looking most forward to watching over four years. Neufeld has shown signs of improvement recently, but the most encouraging thing with him is that he appear to look far less stiff moving down the court. It looks like he is getting more comfortable with his body and far less awkward. While he has been really overmatched at times, there are moments where he looks like a competent big man and I think he could be a major contributor next year. As this season winds down, I find myself already looking forward to November of next year. No matter how bad it gets in the moment, I never want to see the season end. Though that does mean baseball season is upon us.

There have been a number of references to Hines' former walk-on status. Is this meant to be negative? Was not John Redden a walk-on as well?'

I take such references as a dig at the coaching staff and their ability to judge talent. Perhaps both underestimating his and (more so) overestimating some of those on scholarship.

There have been a number of references to Hines' former walk-on status. Is this meant to be negative? Was not John Redden a walk-on as well?'

My point is he's one of the "most improved" players. Well, no kidding, he never got any minutes before because he was a walk-on. He had nowhere to go but up, given more opportunity.

My point is he's one of the "most improved" players. Well, no kidding, he never got any minutes before because he was a walk-on. He had nowhere to go but up, given more opportunity.

True. But if we want to look on the bright side, the current sophs also received extensive minutes as freshmen and largely did not improve.

Not sure on your grammar, but Redden did in fact start at least one game for the Billikens, against Air Force on 11/13/1999.

Wasn't Phil Hunt a walk-on?

Starting a game and being a starter are two different things.

Phil Hunt was indeed a walk-on for two seasons and got a scholarship for his last two.

Not sure on your grammar, but Redden did in fact start at least one game for the Billikens, against Air Force on 11/13/1999.

Wasn't Phil Hunt a walk-on?

Yeah, I looked it up and the season opener his senior year was his only career start. Hines is up to 10 starts now.

EDIT: Hunt did have three career starts.

I always used to believe that a player would improve in his 4 years at school even if he had a horrible coach. It may be minimal improvement that does not help the team or player, but I thought any 18-22 year old would improve just due to repetition. But the sophomore class proved me wrong. There's been more regression than improvement in that class.

at risk of starting a billikens.com meltdown; and to my very great surprise:

we are definitely seeing genuine improvement among some of the players. In a couple cases, really great improvement. Which speaks to this coaching staff's abilities to bring about improvement. For starters, check out the latest headline:

That is pretty impressive; & it's not happening with smoke and mirrors, folks. This kid is shocking the world, including me.
Hines is improving since in all honesty he was a complete non-factor last year and as recently as last month! As for the 2 juniors starting: finally, Reggie is flexing his considerable muscle and learning to finish; and Crawford is just turning into a great all around player. By the way, even MN is moving the needle a little...
As for the others (mainly our beleaguered and often vilified sophomores): well, whatever. Personally, I have not given up on MY but my patience. like the staff's is greatly tested. But we are now witnessing Reggie turning some kind of corner, so let's hope MY does next year as well. Maybe after all, it's mainly a matter of talent with these sophomores -- or lack thereof.
But let's give some (tiny) credit here: we are seeing some significant improvement among at least several of our players -- mostly the guys starting. Coincidence? Attitude/ teachability?? It certainly explains WHY they are starting, and the rotation has shaped up. Whatever the case, I'm sure there are some on here who will dislike this analysis, given the calls for a new coach (and please, spare me, I'm not commenting on that issue). But for everyone who has screamed about lack of improvement in these players (including ME): well, we are seeing some.

Doc. Jim Crews has been a D1 head coach for decades. No one is saying he has somehow has forgotten how to coach but rather that the guys are not playing hard for him, the status of our program is not where it should be and the future under him equally does not look all that bright. Yes, some guys are, in fact, improving and playing decent to well. Unlike last year, we are not witnessing a complete collapse. The difference from last year to this year is that Crews turned to the youngsters sooner than he did this year. We were tanking early last year and Crews turned to the youngsters sooner than this year.

And while we are talking about different players, at different times and with different circumstances, I am seeing a pattern: guys are slow to develop, veterans fails to produce and we seem forced to rely on the youngsters.

Last year, the 6 Sophs (then Frosh) really should not have been called upon to play and/or to playing so many minutes for the reason that the "veterans" failed to get it done. Yes, there were injuries to different degrees, but last year JM, AM, TL, RA, MC. Ash and GG should have carried the team. Instead, these guys did not come through and, out of necessity, we were forced to start/play the current Sophs as Freshmen. During this time, Bartley showed great promise with his shooting, MY became our leading scorer, Roby became an early season starting while adding strength, length, defensive ability and even an outside shot as the season went on and Gillman showed some promise with decent hands, good passing and decent range from the 3 point line - especially for a big. Hence, the future looked promising because the veterans were struggling but our then Frosh were showing signs of promise. Big gulp of blue kool aide was taken by most of us.

This year, Ash has taken several games off but may have been our most consistent/best player, Crawford and Reggie have been 2 of our other best players but not each and every night and Miles showed early season promise but otherwise and returned to form. Again, the veterans (this year's Sophs) are struggling and have not come through. Now, we are again turning to our youth, (Bishop and Hines) placing very little expectations upon them. Teams have not really scouted them or game planned against them and we are delighted that they are/have been able to produce, Another big gulp of blue kool aide by most of us.

Pistol is right. Sure we are happy that the unexpected youngsters are playing well at times but this does not offset the collapse of the veterans. Is Bishop hopefully a keeper? I sure hope so. Sorry, but I am off the sauce. No more blue kool aide for me no matter what Hines and Bishop do the rest of the year.

I always used to believe that a player would improve in his 4 years at school even if he had a horrible coach. It may be minimal improvement that does not help the team or player, but I thought any 18-22 year old would improve just due to repetition. But the sophomore class proved me wrong. There's been more regression than improvement in that class.

The Sophs really are improving on their own. They are adding strength, weight and experience. Individually, they are getting better. But this is still a team game and appearances can be deceiving. They are not being used correctly, their weaknesses have been exposed. They have been game planned against and they have yet to make the necessary adjustments to have both personal and team success.