Stu Finally asked "The Question" re Crews

TheBand

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/crews-future-at-slu-uncertain/article_9ec0d123-d411-55c2-a554-556d376134e3.html

Crews said this week he has not concerned himself with the future.

“Why worry about something you can’t worry about?” he said. “You just do your best. It’s all good. Tough times are not bad. I’m not saying they’re pleasant, but they’re not bad. It’s all part of it.

“I’m the coach until I hear different. I’ve always said that since the first day. I have no concern.”

in the third year of a five-year contract and making more than $850,000. His base salary plus other compensation was $856,455 in the first year,

“The most important piece to all of this is what we can do to support these student-athletes and staff, and that’s where we are today,” May said before traveling with the team to George Mason. “We’ll have any longer-term conversation when the season is over.

May's response is what you would expect - what else is he going to say. Yes we have already made the decision to fire Crews - of course not. They will play the season out and then as he says evaluate at the end of the season - AD speak for he will be fired after the season. Crews response is the same - I am still the coach and will be until they tell me differently - he is not going to say screw them all and I am tired of being the wiping boy - of course not.

May's response is what you would expect - what else is he going to say. Yes we have already made the decision to fire Crews - of course not. They will play the season out and then as he says evaluate at the end of the season - AD speak for he will be fired after the season. Crews response is the same - I am still the coach and will be until they tell me differently - he is not going to say screw them all and I am tired of being the wiping boy - of course not.

Well obviously.

Usually they at least get the vote of confidence though. It was interesting May didn't even give that.

This does nothing except confirm two things --- 1) that Crews' salary is the $850k we've all sort of speculated about and that he has two years left on that contract, and 2) the "problem" is being addressed/discussed. So we have those facts confirmed.

As for Crews' comments: what did anyone expect? Of course that is what you say. Ditto for Chris May's answer. Then all the platitudes about kids working hard, making progress, and the school doing what it should to help them, blah-blah-blah. The classic non-denial denial and refocus on what positive points you want to focus on.

About the best I get from this is that the administration "is aware." That the media has asked the question. And that the media apparently monitors some version of social media.

And again, no real confirmation on just what a buy-out would entail. Which is fine considering details of such are not necessarily in our right to know.

"SLU finished No. 273 in the Ratings Percentage Index last season and is No. 208 this season. The Billikens never before had finished in the 200’s and the program had a 15 year average of finishing at No. 90.

SLU is 6-9 in games at Chaifetz Arena and will finish under .500 at home for the first time since 2004-05 barring a three-game win streak to end the season.

The Billikens are 15-18 at Chaifetz the last two seasons after going 72-20 in the frisht six years the arena was open.

"

This says everything about the current state of the coach Crews program, #FireJimCrews.

Evaluation after the last game should take about 10 seconds, just a quick look at our 2 year W-L record ought to do it. At least Durando finally addressed the problem openly. Unreal that Crews got a raise last year.

Guess I missed this. Do you or anyone have a link to any article about Crews receiving a raise?

This does nothing except confirm two things --- 1) that Crews' salary is the $850k we've all sort of speculated about and that he has two years left on that contract, and 2) the "problem" is being addressed/discussed. So we have those facts confirmed.

As for Crews' comments: what did anyone expect? Of course that is what you say. Ditto for Chris May's answer. Then all the platitudes about kids working hard, making progress, and the school doing what it should to help them, blah-blah-blah. The classic non-denial denial and refocus on what positive points you want to focus on.

About the best I get from this is that the administration "is aware." That the media has asked the question. And that the media apparently monitors some version of social media.

And again, no real confirmation on just what a buy-out would entail. Which is fine considering details of such are not necessarily in our right to know.

It also rules out the theory floated on this Board that a decision has already been made, that Crews has been informed he will not be back and that he will be paid only the buyout amount, that Crews would announce his "retirement" and that this will all end gracefully. Instead, this is headed toward an end of year firing. It's a shame. Crews could have received a standing ovation on Senior Day and saved what's left of his reputation. I want Crews gone as much as anyone else on this Board but I would have applauded his being a good little soldier and accepting an early retirement. And again, the terms of the early retirement could have been slightly more than his buyout.

Now, I am not blaming Crews for turning down $850,000 over the next two years. If I were in his position, I would smile, show up for each practice, game and mandatory event and make sure the paychecks keep finding my bank. The point is, instead, is $850,000 will not be paid to him because he will be gone and all he will receive is the buyout. SLU has either chosen not to give Crews the above talk and "retirement" option or Crews has declined the same.

"SLU finished No. 273 in the Ratings Percentage Index last season and is No. 208 this season. The Billikens never before had finished in the 200’s and the program had a 15 year average of finishing at No. 90.

SLU is 6-9 in games at Chaifetz Arena and will finish under .500 at home for the first time since 2004-05 barring a three-game win streak to end the season.

The Billikens are 15-18 at Chaifetz the last two seasons after going 72-20 in the frisht six years the arena was open.

"

This says everything about the current state of the coach Crews program, #FireJimCrews.

Evaluation over. Jimmy, you're fired!

Evaluation after the last game should take about 10 seconds, just a quick look at our 2 year W-L record ought to do it. At least Durando finally addressed the problem openly. Unreal that Crews got a raise last year.

Not sure he got a raise - could just have been some things he got a % of went up in price.

It also rules out the theory floated on this Board that a decision has already been made, that Crews has been informed he will not be back and that he will be paid only the buyout amount, that Crews would announce his "retirement" and that this will all end gracefully. Instead, this is headed toward an end of year firing. It's a shame. Crews could have received a standing ovation on Senior Day and saved what's left of his reputation. I want Crews gone as much as anyone else on this Board but I would have applauded his being a good little soldier and accepting an early retirement. And again, the terms of the early retirement could have been slightly more than his buyout.

Now, I am not blaming Crews for turning down $850,000 over the next two years. If I were in his position, I would smile, show up for each practice, game and mandatory event and make sure the paychecks keep finding my bank. The point is, instead, is $850,000 will not be paid to him because he will be gone and all he will receive is the buyout. SLU has either chosen not to give Crews the above talk and "retirement" option or Crews has declined the same.

How does this rule out that a decision has already been made? They just haven't told Crews officially yet that is all. May is not going to say anything differently other than we will evaluate after the season - that tells me that they have already set the course to get rid of him. As far as Crews being a good little soldier - who knows what goes on in that empty mind of his.

-Clock, the article is coach or AD speak

-May could have made up his mind, either way, why does anyone think he would spill the beans at this point?

-for the huge majority, college basketball coaches are fired after the season and if that is what is going to happen, that will be when

Not sure he got a raise - could just have been some things he got a % of went up in price.

Guess I missed this. Do you or anyone have a link to any article about Crews receiving a raise?

the article says it directly:

Crews is in the third year of a five-year contract and making more than $850,000. His base salary plus other compensation was $856,455 in the first year, which was 2013-14, according to tax documents. His contract called for slight increases in each subsequent season.

The contract called for modest increases (likely a Cost of Living Adjustment). It wasn't a "raise" the way some are describing it. A raise is when you are paid more than previous was agreed upon.

the article says it directly:

Crews is in the third year of a five-year contract and making more than $850,000. His base salary plus other compensation was $856,455 in the first year, which was 2013-14, according to tax documents. His contract called for slight increases in each subsequent season.

The contract called for modest increases (likely a Cost of Living Adjustment). It wasn't a "raise" the way some are describing it. A raise is when you are paid more than previous was agreed upon.

Who drew up that awful contract? Crews had very little leverage. Just seems lazy

edit: missed the cost of living adjustment blurb. Whoops