Time for change ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The AD needs to consider if this is the best product we can put on the court then from a competition perspective we should move the D2. We might have the largest, most expensive arena for the 500-1000 people that would attend.

Last night's game in terms of both on and off the court has to be one of the lowest points in many years.

Oh, how far have we fallen.

Season ticket holder since 1992.

We ain't droppin' to D2, folks. That ship sailed in about 1982.

Nor is the sky falling. Grawer made us respectable again after an abysmal time. Spoon rebuilt us pretty quickly. Rick...well, Rick was one of a kind.

Come in off the ledge, folks. (Although if you're still thinking about jumping, you might want to stay home and away from the TV for the rest of this season.)

We ain't droppin' to D2, folks. That ship sailed in about 1982.

Nor is the sky falling. Grawer made us respectable again after an abysmal time. Spoon rebuilt us pretty quickly. Rick...well, Rick was one of a kind.

Come in off the ledge, folks. (Although if you're still thinking about jumping, you might want to stay home and away from the TV for the rest of this season.)

I agree we aren't going D2. That's ridiculous. I do not agree that this is similar situation to the grawer to spoon hand off. Grawer left the team with 2 of our top 10 players of all time to build around. We have nothing even close to Claggett/Highmark on this roster. Plus it was much easier to get juco transfers into school then.

Sorry, the only way this will turn around on less than four years is a Mass exodus of players and then about 3 years of quality recruiting along with some strategic rickma creaming each year thereafter as well. My guess if no one leaves the program we're in for at least 6 years to get back to upper third of the A-10 and it might be ten years to get back to the tourney. Think back to ekker. 6 years just to get to the nit. Then another 5 or 6 v to get to the ncaa. Plus a few coach's switched out before spoon got us there.

I hope I'm wrong but it might take larry hughes son (he's 12 now) to bring us back anywhere close to respectable again.

D-2 is unacceptable period, cannot happen, must not happen, will not happen. SLU was ranked 8th in the entire nation just 2 years ago, was a 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament 2 years ago and a 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament 3 years ago. It is pretty clear that SLU was a finalist for the 10th Big East spot, losing out to Creighton.

I agree the D-2 ship sailed in 1982. That ship, mercifully, is not coming back.

Obviously what is happening now with the program is unacceptable. But the nuclear option is not a viable one.

I agree we aren't going D2. That's ridiculous. I do not agree that this is similar situation to the grawer to spoon hand off. Grawer left the team with 2 of our top 10 players of all time to build around. We have nothing even close to Claggett/Highmark on this roster. Plus it was much easier to get juco transfers into school then.

Sorry, the only way this will turn around on less than four years is a Mass exodus of players and then about 3 years of quality recruiting along with some strategic rickma creaming each year thereafter as well. My guess if no one leaves the program we're in for at least 6 years to get back to upper third of the A-10 and it might be ten years to get back to the tourney. Think back to ekker. 6 years just to get to the nit. Then another 5 or 6 v to get to the ncaa. Plus a few coach's switched out before spoon got us there.

I hope I'm wrong but it might take larry hughes son (he's 12 now) to bring us back anywhere close to respectable again.

Yeah, but did you really think at the time that Highmark and Claggs would turn into two of our top 10 players of all time? Hell, they were 5-23 their first year. Isn't that the worst Billiken record ever? And 12-17 the first year of Spoonball. It's not like the team we have now is completely filled with players of Coleman/Albright-spelled-Albrecht quality.

Plus 5th year senior transfers are now the moral equivalent of that era's jucos, although you only get one year out of them.

And finally, the post-Ekker coaches still had to put up with the West Pine Gym and a similar level of support facilities. The right new coach could recruit in a couple classes of hotshot freshmen and have us back in fighting shape within two years.

I do think you're wrong, although I don't think the possibility that you're right is all that remote, either. Nonetheless, miracles do happen, as Majerus/Chaifetz proved.

Roy. I am not going so far out on a limb as to say that we have 2 current Billikens who are equal to Claggett and HIghmark. At the same time, we have a full roster of with more talent than many of our teams in the 1980's early 1990's. I will, though, go out on a limb and say that Brad Soderberg would have won 18 games with our current roster. We currently have the talent to win 18 games. The problem is that our guys never started playing for Crews and therefore cannot be said to have quit playing for Crews. With a real coach who is respected, this team can be turned around rather quickly. Effort, defense and rebounding an be turned around almost immediately. Consistency will come with proper effort, consistent teaching and a positive environment. And yes, our talent needs to be upgraded, certain guys shown the door, others brought in to fill gaps but not completely overhauled.

Six of one/half a dozen of the other: the talent level on this team. I have no idea. I don't see it being all that good and lean more to the roy side of the argument than Clock_Tower side. The real question is how and when will we really know. This coming from a guy who wrote off Conklin and thought Jett would transfer.

A baker's dozen and then some: dumb-ass Division 2 talk. Saint Louis is a program with a one-sport, revenue-making option. Cut it and the whole department goes. Do it and do it right and the whole institution benefits. How did we do this before? The coach -- plain and simple. Can it be done again? Don't know but maintaining the status quo or worst yet panicking and downgrading after some minor adversity is not the answer.

Anyone advocating such is not credible.

Anyone know the scrap value of Chaifetz if they just tore it down?

Oh man, good question. There might be $0.5 million in just the building materials, but the underlying land value is probably about $2 or $3 million. Lot of apartment development going on in Midtown.

Oh man, good question. There might be $0.5 million in just the building materials, but the underlying land value is probably about $2 or $3 million. Lot of apartment development going on in Midtown.

-Harris Stowe is buying the entire SLU campus and is partnering with Larry Rice to turn the College Church into housing for the homeless

-they're also going to graze sheep and goats in the various green spaces and use the fountains as showers

Surprised Major Majerus would pose this question. He's usually a very sensible poster. We didn't build an $80mm arena to play games against Otterbein and Wash U. What we didn't figure into the equation was hiring a loser like Crews.

I have it upon good authority that he had opened an '82 Latour the night before only to find it corked. He subsequently drowned his extreme sorrows in a bottle of 9-0-5 generic bourbon that he'd been using for ballast in the bottom row of his wine rack and woke up at noon yesterday with the worst hangover he'd had since his senior year. His judgment was thus impaired; forgive him, because he knowed not what he dood.

Lindenwood is D2.....minus the Chaifetz.....their sports complex is D1 level. Again minus Chaifetz, Edwardsville has better all round facilities than us. If the right people aren't aware of what is going on with local D2 schools compared to SLU they need to take a drive around St Louis. Wash U is D3 and they have better facilities as well....again minus Chaifetz. This thread is dumb but maybe we should be careful making fun of D2 D3 schools until we have much better facilities than all of them like a D1 should.