Time for change ?

Few are. It's college, not MLS. I've been to multiple Pac-12 facilities that are nowhere near as good as Hermann.

To be fair, the Pac12 is a much more Women's Soccer-driven conference. Only 6 of the 12 field men's soccer and they had to bring in San Diego State to be that 6th team.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying remove Chaifetz from the conversation and all things being equal other D2 and D3 programs have better facilities right now. For the record, my grandson plays club high school baseball and I've been to just about every field in the area. My granddaughter plays club soccer all over the area too. We gladly spend an enormous amount of time at tournaments, complexes over weekends. All I'm trying to point out is anyone making fun of D2 or D3 better know what they are talking about because the world is changing quick. Our AD can only do so much and I believe he is a good man and is doing a very good job. He and the rest of department needs help from higher ups at university to be best in St. Louis area/country in every aspect of department. I love the Bills and want nothing but the best!

Billy Ken.

OK. Now I understand. Yes, I will agree that SLU softball and baseball both need improvements. The artificial infield turf for baseball is a start. Also, didn't SLU add an indoor hitting facility? Not sure where it is or if it is nice, etc. Can anyone attach a picture of either the hitting facility or the what the turf infield will look like? At least some progress is being made. Then again, just got back from Louisville and while not baseball going on in the winter, I did get to see their baseball field. 4,000 seat stadium which does put our field to shame.

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/jim-patterson-stadium-s1623/

And watch some good college softball games on TV sometime, for instance an SEC game and you will see that our softball works but is not a stadium with all the bells and whistles.

And yes, we again have a grass soccer field, and yes it is on campus and not away at the Soccer Park, and yes Herman Field was nice in the early 1990's but it has been surpassed by mediocre programs across the country and put to shame by the top programs. And speaking of a fellow Jesuit Midwestern school already in the Big East where we want to be, Creighton soccer plays in one of the best soccer complexes and Creighton baseball plays in the College World Series Stadium.

We have the most storied soccer team in NCAA history. We should be leading the way in soccer stadiums.

We have an ancient history of having storied teams before the NCAA really had a whole lot of soccer.

And I actually saw a few of those storied teams play, and the field they played on wasn't anything close to a "stadium," and may or may not have had stands. I only remember a whole lot of people standing along the sidelines.

Billy Ken.

OK. Now I understand. Yes, I will agree that SLU softball and baseball both need improvements. The artificial infield turf for baseball is a start. Also, didn't SLU add an indoor hitting facility? Not sure where it is or if it is nice, etc. Can anyone attach a picture of either the hitting facility or the what the turf infield will look like? At least some progress is being made. Then again, just got back from Louisville and while not baseball going on in the winter, I did get to see their baseball field. 4,000 seat stadium which does put our field to shame.

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/jim-patterson-stadium-s1623/

And watch some good college softball games on TV sometime, for instance an SEC game and you will see that our softball works but is not a stadium with all the bells and whistles.

And yes, we again have a grass soccer field, and yes it is on campus and not away at the Soccer Park, and yes Herman Field was nice in the early 1990's but it has been surpassed by mediocre programs across the country and put to shame by the top programs. And speaking of a fellow Jesuit Midwestern school already in the Big East where we want to be, Creighton soccer plays in one of the best soccer complexes and Creighton baseball plays in the College World Series Stadium.

Hermann opened in 1999.

The facility was built in the early 90s. It's not much different now than when I was in school. I believe 99 was when the turf was removed and the team moved back to campus from the Soccer Park.

Wasn't the the grandstand completely rebuilt and the other seating added making it basically a new facility at that time?

To be fair, the Pac12 is a much more Women's Soccer-driven conference. Only 6 of the 12 field men's soccer and they had to bring in San Diego State to be that 6th team.

And yet Stanford just won the national title despite playing in a 1500 seat stadium (http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208445358) and UCLA, College Cup 2 years ago, plays here: http://www.uclabruins.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208271493. Wahington's is a joke too. Herrman is also superior to almost all of the Big East soccer facilities. St. John's plays on top of a parking garage. We have it pretty good with Herrman.

Plus, every team benefits from Chaifetz.

Wasn't the the grandstand completely rebuilt and the other seating added making it basically a new facility at that time?

No the grandstands were installed when the artificial turf was installed around 1991. At the time, the turf field was used not only by the team but also by the students for multi-purpose uses, intramurals, etc. I used to run on the 2 lane track that went around the field, in front of the new stands but behind the visitor side stands. I graduated in the Spring of 1993 and went to several soccer games during my days at SLU. Then after I graduated, NCAA games were no longer allowed to be played on turf and I believe the team had to go back to the Soccer Park. You are probably right that Hermann Field was rededicated, or the field itself was named and honored around 1999, At that time, things were spruced up abit, natural grass was planted and the games returned to campus but the permanent stands, bathrooms, concession stands, scoreboard were all installed around 1991.

We have the most storied soccer team in NCAA history. We should be leading the way in soccer stadiums.

Agreed, given our history and popularity of the sport in this city, we should have a stadium more comparable to Creighton. Has Hermann received a significant upgrade since if was built (I would think relatively consistent upgrades should be a goal for the soccer and baseball programs)? I don't care to get too far into this argument, but the baseball/softball facilities are rather pathetic for a major athletic program (I think there are high schools in the area with better).

Agreed, given our history and popularity of the sport in this city, we should have a stadium more comparable to Creighton. Has Hermann received a significant upgrade since if was built (I would think relatively consistent upgrades should be a goal for the soccer and baseball programs)? I don't care to get too far into this argument, but the baseball/softball facilities are rather pathetic for a major athletic program (I think there are high schools in the area with better).

What I would do if it were up to me. In order of importance:

1. Enclose the stadium

2. Endzone locker rooms under the scoreboard.

3. Stadium seats or add backs to the bleacher seats like Busch stadium bleachers through the stadium

4. Renovate the Box Office and use it/add a box office on the Compton Side

5. End zone bathrooms on the McDonnell Douglas end.

6. Renovation and expansion of the concession stand to take over the existing bathrooms and locker rooms.

7. Use the gate by the greenhouse for entrance/exit.

What I would do if it were up to me. In order of importance:

1. Enclose the stadium

2. Endzone locker rooms under the scoreboard.

3. Stadium seats or add backs to the bleacher seats like Busch stadium bleachers through the stadium

4. Renovate the Box Office and use it/add a box office on the Compton Side

5. End zone bathrooms on the McDonnell Douglas end.

6. Renovation and expansion of the concession stand to take over the existing bathrooms and locker rooms.

7. Use the gate by the greenhouse for entrance/exit.

Curious, whats the avg. attendance to soccer games? As compared to other schools?