Beyond disgusted about last night

bonwich

Yeah, but not about our play. We're bad. We're poorly coached. Been there, done that, as has anyone above the age of 40. Go into the next decade and we'll tell you about what awful truly means. Ask B-Roy. Ask Taj.

It can (but doesn't always) get better more quickly than you think.

Naw, as noted in passing in the GDT, I'm appalled at our alleged student-athletes. Yeah, show up for your little walk to center court, then abandon the reason more than 5 other people know who you are. (And, basically, abandon the guys who pay your bills. Most important, abandon your fellow athletes.)

Moreover, I'm appalled at our athletic department, because this isn't the first time this behavior has happened. And it's yet another symptom again of the lack of professionalism and pride the athletic department seems to sanction. Yeah, that kicked ball was a foul, wasn't it, Gus? And what's Ash's last name? Hey, welcome to Chaifetz for the first time. Buy some gear to take home with you. Never mind that it's obsolete. Etc. Etc.

I'm appalled that you can go back to previous years and find that I wrote this exact rant before, but I'll write it again. By this morning Chris May should have summoned every coach of every sport into his office and read them the riot act. And then every captain of every team. And then every one of those little ****$ who were recognized last night, to tell them what the hell it means to wear the uniform of your school.

24319191214_41b4b988ff.jpg

Anybody have the "before" picture for this?

BTW, what the hell happened to the SLUnatics?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, slightly different. I'd guess 40 or 50 of them sat in the student section for most of the first half. Which, as I think about it, I'd have preferred they not do. They should have just gathered in the tunnel with the other unprincipled "student athletes." At least then it wouldn't have looked like 2/3 of the already-depleted student section left at halftime.

And I ask again -- do the SLUnatics even exist any more?

Well, slightly different. I'd guess 40 or 50 of them sat in the student section for most of the first half. Which, as I think about it, I'd have preferred they not do. They should have just gathered in the tunnel with the other unprincipled "student athletes." At least then it wouldn't have looked like 2/3 of the already-depleted student section left at halftime.

And I ask again -- do the SLUnatics even exist any more?

It's the same at the soccer games when they have all the frosh there. After halftime, they are almost entirely gone

Yeah, but not about our play. We're bad. We're poorly coached. Been there, done that, as has anyone above the age of 40. Go into the next decade and we'll tell you about what awful truly means. Ask B-Roy. Ask Taj.

It can (but doesn't always) get better more quickly than you think.

Naw, as noted in passing in the GDT, I'm appalled at our alleged student-athletes. Yeah, show up for your little walk to center court, then abandon the reason more than 5 other people know who you are. (And, basically, abandon the guys who pay your bills. Most important, abandon your fellow athletes.)

Moreover, I'm appalled at our athletic department, because this isn't the first time this behavior has happened. And it's yet another symptom again of the lack of professionalism and pride the athletic department seems to sanction. Yeah, that kicked ball was a foul, wasn't it, Gus? And what's Ash's last name? Hey, welcome to Chaifetz for the first time. Buy some gear to take home with you. Never mind that it's obsolete. Etc. Etc.

I'm appalled that you can go back to previous years and find that I wrote this exact rant before, but I'll write it again. By this morning Chris May should have summoned every coach of every sport into his office and read them the riot act. And then every captain of every team. And then every one of those little ****$ who were recognized last night, to tell them what the hell it means to wear the uniform of your school.

24319191214_41b4b988ff.jpg

Anybody have the "before" picture for this?

BTW, what the hell happened to the SLUnatics?

Greatest post of all-time. Can we put this on the front page? A plaque of it on the front door of Chaifetz like Tim Tebow's "Promise" speech that has been affixed to the Swamp in Gainesville?

Bonwich - here is the before photo at 7:06 PM last night of the student section. The Student Athletes are all up at the top in their Billiken T-Shirts.

The photo you posted above is after they left to go under the arena before halftime.

24330998744_b727449589_z.jpg

This is the same athletic department that has not had a Assoc AD in the marketing department for over 9 months. Also, the new marketing director in place since November has done very little since he has arrived besides post on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook and set up the concourse for Balloon Animals at every game (BTW my kids do enjoy that)

But all students were invited to it. They were all being directed down there at the student gate. It was a good crowd.

Ok, but it all goes back to Marketing, Marketing, Marketing and our AD dept has never learned how to do that and our coaching staff has failed us. #FireJimCrews or #SLU2DII

So there are a couple things going on here that as a student I think I can help with. First, living with a current student athlete and knowing the entirety of his team I can tell you with 100% certainty that they do not support the basketball program unless they have these academic nights. A few of them have actually complained they had to make the walk to Chaifetz (laughable as it seems) "just to have my name read".

The second aspect is that of SLUnatics. I can honestly say that there really is no presence of them on campus and athletic events. Yes, they post on facebook but it more of a chastising others who aren't showing up. The ironic part of this whole thing is that I have never seen them actively recruiting people to join or try and get some of the students to come out. Their impact on the student attendance is simply not there from my perspective. So yes they are still around, but in no means are they showing the unwavering support that I would expect from them. And since they are not actively promoting themselves, they are really an ineffective organization.

So there are a couple things going on here that as a student I think I can help with. First, living with a current student athlete and knowing the entirety of his team I can tell you with 100% certainty that they do not support the basketball program unless they have these academic nights. A few of them have actually complained they had to make the walk to Chaifetz (laughable as it seems) "just to have my name read".

The second aspect is that of SLUnatics. I can honestly say that there really is no presence of them on campus and athletic events. Yes, they post on facebook but it more of a chastising others who aren't showing up. The ironic part of this whole thing is that I have never seen them actively recruiting people to join or try and get some of the students to come out. Their impact on the student attendance is simply not there from my perspective. So yes they are still around, but in no means are they showing the unwavering support that I would expect from them. And since they are not actively promoting themselves, they are really an ineffective organization.

It's not even an organization. There is no membership.

This is the same athletic department that has not had a Assoc AD in the marketing department for over 9 months. Also, the new marketing director in place since November has done very little since he has arrived besides post on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook and set up the concourse for Balloon Animals at every game (BTW my kids do enjoy that)

And when they get around to hiring that person, I am sure it will be an associate AD from some SWAC or director of marketing from a like school making the latest $4,000 per year jump to a bigger conference school. And they won't have any clue about SLU, St. Louis, or business in general. They will stay for a mediocre 18 months, and then jump to a higher paying job at a football school.

And when they get around to hiring that person, I am sure it will be an associate AD from some SWAC or director of marketing from a like school making the latest $4,000 per year jump to a bigger conference school. And they won't have any clue about SLU, St. Louis, or business in general. They will stay for a mediocre 18 months, and then jump to a higher paying job at a football school.

Anybody got any idea/info on what that associate AD position pays at SLU and then, how much it pays at other institutions? Marquette? Creighton? Gonzaga? Also, anybody have any insight on the structure/staff size of our athletic department vs. those of other universities, similar or otherwise?

It's not even an organization. There is no membership.

Shows exactly how much is known about it then I guess. I have been at nearly every game in my two years here except for being abroad currently and slunatics is essentially a foreign concept to me. Seems like it is positioned as an organization based on the Facebook page for it but that could just be me misreading things.

For SLUnatics to succeed with our fanbase level it needs support from the administration, at the very least 1 full time worker who's entire job is to coordinate with the group. People have offered to do this job and been turned down.

The only disgusting thing is this on-court performance and particularly the lack of skill and talent from this staff. It is disgusting that they get paid to not teach these guys basketball.

Win and they will come.

#FireJimCrews

For SLUnatics to succeed with our fanbase level it needs support from the administration, at the very least 1 full time worker who's entire job is to coordinate with the group. People have offered to do this job and been turned down.

-Prez comes to mind, I think if given the proper support she would have done a great job in defining and doing that role and I doubt it would take "free" pizza

-Prez, you still out there?

Yeah, but not about our play. We're bad. We're poorly coached. Been there, done that, as has anyone above the age of 40. Go into the next decade and we'll tell you about what awful truly means. Ask B-Roy. Ask Taj.It can (but doesn't always) get better more quickly than you think.Naw, as noted in passing in the GDT, I'm appalled at our alleged student-athletes. Yeah, show up for your little walk to center court, then abandon the reason more than 5 other people know who you are. (And, basically, abandon the guys who pay your bills. Most important, abandon your fellow athletes.)Moreover, I'm appalled at our athletic department, because this isn't the first time this behavior has happened. And it's yet another symptom again of the lack of professionalism and pride the athletic department seems to sanction. Yeah, that kicked ball was a foul, wasn't it, Gus? And what's Ash's last name? Hey, welcome to Chaifetz for the first time. Buy some gear to take home with you. Never mind that it's obsolete. Etc. Etc.I'm appalled that you can go back to previous years and find that I wrote this exact rant before, but I'll write it again. By this morning Chris May should have summoned every coach of every sport into his office and read them the riot act. And then every captain of every team. And then every one of those little ****$ who were recognized last night, to tell them what the hell it means to wear the uniform of your school.24319191214_41b4b988ff.jpgAnybody have the "before" picture for this?BTW, what the hell happened to the SLUnatics?

Tremendous post Bonwich..was thinking the same watching the halftime and the fleeing by the supposed athletes ...I do not post a lot but am a long time supporter and was a friend of Rick...there is no way he wanted Crews in charge of this ..Alex J and their fallout along with his health all contributed to the steps that followed..Alex was like his son and it devastated him when Alex left. Crews was a "let me help out an old buddy call" Those close to the situation knew it was the wrong call for Crews as I myself do not know if he was even excited to no longer be interim.The sound of the apathy around the program is deafening but the question remains..Is anybody listening that can change this train wreck ?