GDT: who are we even playing? I don't care anymore

Who cares if half of the students have not been to a game? Student section cannot hold the entire student population so it ensures people who care have a place to be. It doesn't bother me, also a student, when people don't show up. You know why? Because SLU isn't a school with an undergraduate population of die hard basketball fans and nothing is going to change that. The only thing that will change people caring about the program is improvement. So in the meantime, I'll be there to support and hopefully see improvement. And when the day comes we are good, the fair weather fans will come out and I'm okay with that.

Don't tell that to me tell that to SLU 72. He's the one bitching about fair weather fans. The more fans the better because it means the program is good

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

some fan. roy you absolutely rip billiken coaches and players sometimes. i never have, never will. i take on some posters who do, sure.

answer the question: do you think the 14 photos in the sl post gallery on last nights game almost all of which showed us falling, getting stuffed, on our asses, losing the ball, helplessly flailing, etc, are fair, and that the sl post has represented us well the last 20-30 years?

yes or no.

(bonanza?)

Last night yes.

If you don't like the post or stltoday.com don't get it. I quit buying the post back in spoon days already.

some fan. roy you absolutely rip billiken coaches and players sometimes. i never have, never will. i take on some posters who do, sure.

answer the question: do you think the 14 photos in the sl post gallery on last nights game almost all of which showed us falling, getting stuffed, on our asses, losing the ball, helplessly flailing, etc, are fair, and that the sl post has represented us well the last 20-30 years?

yes or no.

(bonanza?)

I agree with your analysis of the pictures on STL Today they did make the team look foolish. The team did play foolish but I do not like doing that to the young people. As far as fans go the people that still go to the games are the best period. The posters on this site are also good fans that care about the team and you read that in their posts. I wanted to go to the game Saturday but the grandkids wanted Dave and Busters so my grandkids made the best decision. I listened to the game and realized the two game high output offense is over and the turnover prone offense is back.

It is a well-known fact that, during the Watergate scandal, Ben Bradley, the renown editor of the Washington Post, went out of his way to publish "unflattering" pictures of a man he despised, Richard M. Nixon. Newspapers are not your friend. Given that the Post seems heavily populated by guys from another institution who we despise and who don't really like anyone else, what do you expect?

There isn't a single photographer out there who can predict the action at the end of his lens in the nano-second he has to point and shoot. I can take 100 pictures and throw 98 of them away and likely get that one shot I need. That's a 2% success rate for me. A professional is likely better but if you are shooting a team performing badly, the chances you photo-document that are higher than not.

I'd put photos in the same list with refs, homer announcers and away crowds ..... irrelevant. But able excuses if you want to ignore the problems on the court with this current product and focus outrage elsewhere.

P.S. there is a "slu72" and a "slu72 fan" on this board. Please don't attribute items to larry72, he's senile enough and doesn't need the push over the sanity cliff any more than the Scotch is already taking him to.

The photo spread of the Davidson game made Hines and Agbeko look like Stockton and Malone. The photo spread of the Duquesne game made SLU look like the 250th best team in the nation. Weird how one made them look so much better than the other. It's almost like the photographers have to photograph what actually goes on on the court.

Some people just really enjoy having their feelings hurt.

The newspaper is a dead medium and it has relatively little impact on the perception of the program relative to other information in the marketplace. To the extent the Post is influencing anyone, it is more likely to be done through its web presence. The pictures at http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/seem fair to me and do not seem to project SLU in an unnecessarily negative light.

I can't believe there is a serious argument being made on here that the Post Dispatch is portraying SLU in a negative light based on a few game action photos. If anything, the Post has been way too soft on this program. I get that Stu can't really blast them and the Rams have been a much bigger story, but one of the two Ben's needs to take up the cause and demand better.

I can't believe there is a serious argument being made on here that the Post Dispatch is portraying SLU in a negative light based on a few game action photos. If anything, the Post has been way too soft on this program. I get that Stu can't really blast them and the Rams have been a much bigger story, but one of the two Ben's needs to take up the cause and demand better.

+1,000

I guess reading the last few pages was entertaining, but suggesting that someone will see a picture of a Billiken shooting a clean jumper, or lay-up, and then completely ignore the score, or our current record, and form a positive opinion based on said photo, is hilarious. That just happened.. Alright.

Also anyone ripping someone for not paying $5 to watch whatever it is we currently do on the court right now, on a crappy internet feed, is also hilarious. Really?